Final payment question

Spicey477

After reading tons of posts and then checking on tons of prices for specific cruises, I have a question about the final payment. I went to one site where you made no deposit and you paid the final payment the day after booking, and I have also read many posts about paying in stages. I have no problem paying in full right away, but I have read that after you make the final payment, there are no price adjustments. I wouldn't want to put myself in a position where I have no leverage. Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!

Check with which ever company you are booking with and find out what they will do. Many will adjust only until final payment. Others will work with you and may get you a free upgrade if the price has dropped or a room change. But read fine print. Sometimes if the company wants the money up front and final payment is not due for a while, someone is making money with your money and they may not get you any credits ect before final payment is actually due. Buyer be ware.

MS Maasdam 6 - 17 Feb 05

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2005;02;5;07;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]  Until I sail away on the ocean blue

Navigator of the Seas Western Crib 08/03
Dawn Princess - Eastern Carb 01/03
Dawn Princess Panamal Canal 11/02

I book my cruises over a year ahead of time since it is easier for me to make payments that way. Agents work for you-but if you are booking a cruise now for August or Septemeber when you book the whole payment should be due.

On our Victory cruise I learned my agent did not give any price reductions after final payment. I learned a very expensive lesson and now its one of the first things I ask an agent.

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip around the sun every year.

Going NOWHERE
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;10;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Miracle, February 13, 2005
Legend, October 22,2004
Voyager August 31,2003
Victory September 22,2002
Regal Empress,June 2001
Sensation,August 2000

I have found cruisecompete.com very competitive and hard to beat. I too, looked all over the internet before finally deciding on a cruise. But if you go to cruisecompete.com, they actually compare all of the deeply discounted internet websites for you. They compare cruise.com, seaescapes, cruise411, cruisewholesalers, and many more. I always get such a good deal that I rarely see the price drop much after I book. And if it does drop, just call the company you booked, tell them that the price dropped and you want an upgrade. Many times you will get it.

If you go to the money saving tips section on the message boards they all talk about cruisecompete.com and how good they are. If you go to the cabin selection tips section on the message boards there is a lot of info. on how to get upgraded.We are cruising in October and only paid about half of our cruise price up front. We will pay the rest later. Like you we could pay all of it up front, but why do so when it's not necessary? Is your cruise date kind of close? If not, I would be suspicious. But if you're getting a really good price and want to go ahead and book through that company,go ahead.There is a good chance that you can get your cabin upgraded later if the price drops.

I would be very suspect of any company that makes you pay for the entire cruise at the time of booking even if the cruise is months away. What are they doing with YOUR money for all those months when the final payment isn't due at the cruise line until 60 days before your cruise? They are the ones putting your money into their bank account and earning interest. I certainly wouldn't trust any agency that forces you to pay in full so far in advance. Not only that, but once they have all your money, who's to say what would happen after that? Some of these internet agencies (note I said some and not all), take your money and then if the price goes down, they won't give you any benefit. Better to find an agency that only asks for the final payment when it's actually due at the cruise line.

Darcie

Thanks everyone for your tips... I guess I should have specified that I am looking at a late August sailing of the Caribbean Princess. That should clear things up with what you all said, if the cruise lines need the money within 60 days, that is almost here.
It is going to be a transition time for us as we will be moving and starting new jobs (perfect time for a vaction!).
My husband is in the Navy (and getting out in Sept.) so it is hard to actually 'plan' something that doesn't revolve around when the Navy wants you to take vacation time (Christmas and when they get ready to go out for 6 months)!
I will be doing this last-minute-style and hoping that it all works out!

Thanks for all of your insight!

Archived