Scandinavia & Russia

robinbird62

We are off in 15 days on the Jewel Of the Seas - is there anyone else booked on this cruise? We have our 11 yr old daughter with us and she is so excited. We have been cruising for about 5 years now but never gone from Harwich - any tips?

Hi Robinbird62, we sailed from Harwich last year, it is a very easy Port to get to, we stayed the night before at the Premier Inn, drove 1/4 mile max parked car up jumped on shuttle bus, short distance and was on site. Return was just as easy.

May I ask what you are doing in St Petersberg, we went with a Russian Tour Company called SPB Tours, the 2 days were fantastic. 100%

DH and I are also doing the same itinerary in July and would appreciate your review/opinions.

Would also appreciate if you could advise the number of formal nights.

Thanks ;)

DEEDIA - We have booked a 2 day tour with TJ Travel who seemed to have really good reports. They have been very promt with replies etc. pay no money until 2nd day.

Will definately post a reply of what I believe with be a very interesting cruise.

We are off in 15 days on the Jewel Of the Seas - is there anyone else booked on this cruise? We have our 11 yr old daughter with us and she is so excited. We have been cruising for about 5 years now but never gone from Harwich - any tips?

I recommend joining the roll call, and you MUST do a private tour in St P as you will get so much more out of it.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1166136

• 3 weeks later...

Well we are back and what a fantastic time we had.

Harwich was much easier than I thought it would be - only complaint was that when we collected our luggage at the end of the cruise the suitcases were wet as they had to be transported to the car park while we went by bus.

We had 3 formal nights although we missed one as it was posted as semi formal!!!

TJ travel were fantastic very informative and accomadating with arrangements - they managed to get to front of queues so we could keep to time schedules.

The ship was wonderful - although you got the usual moaners about anything. The crew were fab - Cruise Director HelloClo was fantastic she really made the entertainment.

It is a very tiring cruise but well worth it - just be aware of the time differences - we kept loosing hours.

Our daughter had a wondeful time in the Adventure Ocean - there were only 57 children on board but I am told that the numbers are increasing over the next few weeks and by July / August there will be over 200 on board. Look out for Lightening Lee he is fab we have cruised with him before - if you have children please say hello from the Robins family (Leanne).

We are sorting photos at moment.

Any tips?.......

Yes, do not stay at the Continental Hotel the night before.

We had 3 formal nights although we missed one as it was posted as semi formal!!!

Thanks for coming back with this. Pleased you had a great time.

Can I take it that the dress code for the entire cruise was 2 formal, 1 semi formal and the balance casual?

Any tips?.......

Yes, do not stay at the Continental Hotel the night before.

ROTFL - met up for lunch with some cruising friends last weekend and they told us about their stay there :eek:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Our cruise disembarks in Harwich on Sunday 8/19/12, and we're wondering if it's practical to consider making our way from the port to catch a 12:15pm flight out of Heathrow, or if we should plan on staying overnight somewhere and catching the flight the next day.

Any suggestions and/or opinions would sure be appreciated!

Doc & Lin from Phoenix

Jewel of the Seas Baltic Cruise

8/7 thru 8/19

• 1 month later...

My husband and I have booked this cruise for May 2012 and would appreciate some advice about the different currencies needed when visiting Scandinavia. Is the Euro accepted everywhere or should we take a small amount of each currency with us and use our credit card as a back-up?

We did a Scandinavia & Baltic cruise this year.

Copenhagen - you can use Euros but you will probably be given change in DKK

Stockholm - you can use Euros but you will probably be given change in SEK

Helsinki - Euros

St Petersburg - US dollars, Euros

Tallinn - Euros

Belgium - Euros

Norway I'm not too sure about. We had some NOK over from another cruise so we used them.

But, yes take your credit card as back-up.

Archived