Pacific Pearl - differing cruise reviews.

bazzaw

I really can't get over the wildly differing reviews I have read about Pacific Pearl . They range from " I would never set foot onboard this ship again" to "This is the best ship in the P&O Fleet"

We have now sailed on 6 cruiseships - from the lowly Pacific Star to Queen Mary 2. And, in my opinion, they were "all the same!". The food standards on all 6 ships were similar (I call it "International hotel food" ), the service from staff was the same, the shore tours were all the same, ship management was the same, etc, etc. The only thing that changed was the level of our cruising experience - and sometimes I think that is the thing that causes these differences in reviews. It is obvious that the higher level of experience that you have of ANYTHING, the more that you may start to compare the different stages of that experience and come up with an unsatisfactory (to you) judgement of one of the stages.

BUT - having now said that all these cruises were basically "the same" - they were also all completely different! :) How can one compare Pacific Star with QM2?? - but my (favourable) recollections of our first cruise on Pac Star will stay with me until my death bed. And come to think of it - I don't think the food on Queen Mary 2 was as good as what we got on Pac Star!!;)

So - I am really looking forward to our upcoming 28 days to Tahiti on Pacific Pearl. It will be just a shame that they don't sell any decent beer on her - this fizzy Aussie lager just doesn't cut it with me after the great British ales we had on the P&O UK ships.

Barry

I, too, find it hard to comprehend the widely differing views.

Even worse is the fact people won't cruise just because of 'hearsay'. My DDiL will not go on a P&O cruise because she has heard complaints about them. She wants to go on a 'posher' ship. All I can say is that she's the one who misses out, and poor DS has to miss out as well.

I'm glad we didn't listen to others and take their advice, but decided to try P&O for ourselves before condemning them :D

Edited by Sandielle

I dont find it hard to understand at all.

Every passenger who walks up the gangway to board a cruise, brings with them their own background , and all their different expectations.

Some expect it to be like the "Love Boat" , their only experience of cruising maybe.

Others want it to be just like the glossy brochure their TA gave them.

Others want it to be just like the last cruise they had , not realising how different each cruise can be.

From my own point of view, I approach each cruise as if its my first, and just love the excitement of that first boarding.

From then on , I suss out the "lie of the land" and make the cruise work for me.

I think it is good to have a lot of widely differing views, as it shows what different people see and what they expect of a cruise or cruise line.

As we can say its free speech and we all have a different veiw.

Even worse is the fact people won't cruise just because of 'hearsay'.

Sandy - so true. And I have to admit that it even affects me :) But I do believe that it is much easier for all of us to criticise than to praise - so I try to approach reviews from that perspective.

I recall some very bad reviews of a hotel in London that we were considering staying in. It was extremely well located (within rock throwing distance of Piccadilly Square) - and half the cost of other hotels . It was mostly rubbished in Trip Advisor - but I noted a few people who said that, ALL things considered, they regularly stayed there. We decided to also - and it turned out to be a really good decision. I subsequently recommended it to my son - he went there on my recommendation and HATED it!!! :p:p

Does anybody know what are the times of the main Theatre shows on Pac Pearl??

Barry

David

I know where you are coming from - but it is the "extremeness" of the opposing positions that I find interesting.

But, I guess I can understand the enthusiasm of a first-time cruiser being either confirmed by a wonderful first time experience - or dashed by a bad first time experience. I can also understand the cynicism that can creep into an experienced hand if everything is not "as it should be". I can also understand the "there but for the Grace of God , go I" moments - where somebody suffers something that the rest does not ( eg toilet problems) - and hence the anguished cries of "WHY ME? Why me? (only to be answered from above by "Why NOT you? Why not you?? - if not you, then who??? :)

Does anybody know what the temperature in Tahiti is in 6 weeks time??

Barry

Barry that was well put. :) I think I'm lucky that I learned from a young age to rationalise things that happen. Fortunately, or unfortunately :confused:, when I start to think "Why me?", there's a voice inside me that answers back, "Why NOT me?". It's true, though, there is always someone worse off and it's no use wasting what's left of your life mulling over the 'bad stuff'. Just look forward to the next 'adventure' and laugh as much as you can.

Sorry if this sounds 'holier than thou' - I'm definitely not!!!!!!! ;) But this is the way I get by. (Actually I think it annoys the hell out of my DH that I always want to rush to see what's around the next corner.) :D :D

Even worse is the fact people won't cruise just because of 'hearsay'.

Sandy - so true. And I have to admit that it even affects me :) But I do believe that it is much easier for all of us to criticise than to praise - so I try to approach reviews from that perspective.

I recall some very bad reviews of a hotel in London that we were considering staying in. It was extremely well located (within rock throwing distance of Piccadilly Square) - and half the cost of other hotels . It was mostly rubbished in Trip Advisor - but I noted a few people who said that, ALL things considered, they regularly stayed there. We decided to also - and it turned out to be a really good decision. I subsequently recommended it to my son - he went there on my recommendation and HATED it!!! :p:p

Does anybody know what are the times of the main Theatre shows on Pac Pearl??

Barry

Hi Barry,

The shows are on at 7.30 and 9.30.

Deidre.:)

Thanks Deirdre

One thing that I have learned about "cruising" - is to try to find out when the majority on board want to do something (eat, drink, go to a show) - and then try to go at a different time. I have had experience with Aussie cruisers - mainly older people (like me) - who want to eat early and go to the early show - they queue up at the Theatre entrance 30 minutes before it opens to be able to get a "good" seat.

We were really surprised (actually taken aback) by the Brits onboard the P&O UK ships that we were on. They are quite averse to sitting in the front(ish) rows of the Theatre (unlike Aussies who fill the Theatre up from the front rows first). Our very first Theatre experience of Oriana - we walked in and the Theatre was quite full - EXCEPT for the few first rows in the front. Hmm - we thought - maybe they are "reserved " for "somebody" -- but , no - the Poms just don't like to sit in the front rows - ESPECIALLY when there is a comedian on the menu. :)

Barry

For me it's about just being lucky enough to be able to cruise in the first place.

But, I have to say the Pearl has had such glaring diiferences in the reviews, it must be confusing especially for first time cruises. I remember when I found the forums just before I went on the Pacific Dawn in 08/09. I was horified at what was being said about the food onboard. Some were comparing it to pig's slop....:eek::eek:

Luckily I went onboard with an open mind and I was at a loss to where these people were eating. The food IMO was lovely.:D and I've never had a bad experience on a ship(touch wood)...

I loved the Pacific Pearl and would cruise on her again. So I guess it's just never going to be the same experience for everyone and that's ok.

Deidre.:)

Well, in 6 weeks we will be on the Pacific Pearl and I am sure we will love it.:D We are always just glad to be 'on' the ship but have found that it is mostly the crew who make your cruise enjoyable. Hopefully we will love the Pac Pearl so much we will book a longer cruise on her, 4 days will be so short but better than none.;)

Well, in 6 weeks we will be on the Pacific Pearl and I am sure we will love it.:D We are always just glad to be 'on' the ship but have found that it is mostly the crew who make your cruise enjoyable. Hopefully we will love the Pac Pearl so much we will book a longer cruise on her, 4 days will be so short but better than none.;)

You will love Pacific Pearl, we were on her for 7 nights at Easter, could not fault her at all.... Wished we could have stayed on :p Everything was great, the only "little" thing I could mention was that the theatre wasnt set up very well and was hard to see unless you were downstairs in a good spot or if you were upstairs you had to be in the front row pretty much.. It was the shortest cruise we have ever done and the most enjoyable cruise also. If you have any queries, ask away as Pearly I think would have to be my favourite ship to date.. We cruised on Rhapsody Of The Seas Jan-Dec this year and the ship itself was amazing but IMO the Pearl just had the atmosphere, very roomy, entertainment was so good and deck areas were great, the back of the ship from the buffet was fantastic to have lunch etc.... very well set up, no other ship we have been on have had that (inc Princess and RCCL) We are going on Diamond Princess at xmas and I think that area is on there as well, so looking forward to that..:)

I know what you mean about being short. In couple weeks we are going on Pac Dawn and it is only 3 nights :eek: but as you said a short cruise is better than no cruise :D

Now this brings back memories of my first cruise on the good old Sun. I read heaps of bad reviews and actually considered cancelling at one stage. Instead we decided to go and make the best of it and if it was really that bad the first 2 Ports were in Australia so we would get off and fly home.

:D I am glad to say that I have now had 4 cruises on the Sun and loved every one of them.

I think it depends on what your life is like too. I just love the almost no rules atmosphere of cruising and the being waited on. At home my routine is so strict to meet my daughter's needs and I wait on everybody else. So what's not to like I say.

Hi Barry

I have cruised on all the ships in the P&O fleet and have enjoyed everyone. I loved the Pearl too (not quite as good as the Dawn but still great nonetheless).

Being on the ship for 28 days (soooo jealous) I know that you will still only have the same shows but maybe you guys will have them repeated several times throughout the cruise plus I imagine plenty of guest entertainers. The shows are -

Pirates of the Pacific II

Please don't stop the Music

Starry Starry nights

Runaway to the Circus

Centre Stage

Dancing through the Decades (performed in the Dome).

Transformation (performed by Pacific Cirque in the Atrium).

Glow (performed by Pacific Cirque in Lido deck - weather permitting).

I think sometimes peoples expectations are so high that when they get onboard they feel let down by something that is not quite perfect. I hear so many complaints about the buffet. Yeah, sure - it's a buffet but the food is still good (breakfast is the best!) and the cake selection is yummy! The dining room is beautiful and the meals are fantastic (way better than those on Royal Caribbean's "Mariner of the Seas!!!). Some of the staff in the dining room are terrible and others are simply fantastic. Just make sure you book a table the first night you embark, if you like your waiters, stick with them for the rest of your cruise, but try different ones at breakfast and lunchtime (so you still get variety :) ). Oh and don't forget to try the Salt Grill.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your cruise and I look forward to hearing your thoughts on her.

my Last Cruise was with the Pacific Jewel, and when I went on it, there were opposing views everywhere (Just as extreme as the ones for the Pearl are now), I read all the reviews, the good and the bad (Didnt let the BF read the bad reviews as he was a first time cruiser and I was worried it'd turn him off it). Although we had Horrible weather for most of the time and missed a port (We broke the Jewel and the cruise after us was canceled:eek:) We had the Best time EVER!! Our Room attendant was wonderful, as was the Waiters at the Club Lounge, everything was better than anything that I could have hoped for, and I think it comes down to having realistic expectations, and letting the holidays take you to where ever it will go.

Now I'm booked for the Pearl, and I can't wait, its a new advanture on a new ship :D and to add to the excitment the BF and I picked out all our shore tours yesterday (I like to book them as soon as they become available:p)

I can't wait to go Cruising again :D

*P.s I know the Pearl isn't a 'new' Ship, I mean New as in I haven't been on it yet :P

Edited by sharri34
Clarifying info

I really can't get over the wildly differing reviews I have read about Pacific Pearl . They range from " I would never set foot onboard this ship again" to "This is the best ship in the P&O Fleet"

Barry

I also have been reading all reports on the Pacific Pearl with interest as she is next on our list and have been confused by the huge variety of opinion. I've seen her described as the best thing going on one review to the cruise ship from hell on another. :confused: :rolleyes:Yet I am still keen to try.

Like Sandy and Musicorn, I was nearly talked out of cruising on the Pacific Sun last year because of the negative remarks and disparaging comments. If it wasn't for the more balanced coments comming from a couple of well travelled contributors we would have cancelled and missed out on a fantastic cruise.:)

My opinion is that dissatisfaction is a cumulative poison and if people have one serious negative issue during their cruise (like plumbing issues or missing a port), they then let every little thing add to their dissatisfaction until they are unable to enjoy themselves or any even notice any positives. It's just human nature. I also think this is why we get the extremes of comment.

Jenny

On our cruise to UK on Oriana, you should have heard the howls when we missed going to the Pyramids. Some/many of the Poms claimed that this port stop "was the only reason they came on the World Cruise" -- ALL 84 days of it!!!:p

Barry

Jenny

On our cruise to UK on Oriana, you should have heard the howls when we missed going to the Pyramids. Some/many of the Poms claimed that this port stop "was the only reason they came on the World Cruise" -- ALL 84 days of it!!!:p

Barry

Yeah, right! :D :D :D

Jenny

Barry

Yes Barry, I remember you missing Safaga, which meant that you missed the Valley of the Kings:(, when we were all following your blog and being disappointed for you. Did you get to do the pyramids from Port Said?

It shouldn't have been as bad for the Brits on board because they can fly to Cairo in around 4 1/2 hrs or so. (not at the moment of course :eek:)

So - I am really looking forward to our upcoming 28 days to Tahiti on Pacific Pearl. It will be just a shame that they don't sell any decent beer on her - this fizzy Aussie lager just doesn't cut it with me after the great British ales we had on the P&O UK ships.

Barry

Hi Barry,

I agree - it's hard to believe some people are talking about the same ship! But it does come down to individual experience I guess. The recent cruise on Pearl that went to NZ from Sydney, where they missed Norfolk Island, someone on here described it as 'far from idyllic' and didn't like it, but my mother & her friend were on it and had a great time, and came off raving about Pearl being the best in the fleet.

I reckon that although Pearl's not the newest or flashest ship, there is something special about her and I'm sure you'll have a great and memorable cruise!

As for the beer - try the Orient Bar. They have some different beers on tap - can't remember exactly which ones but I do remember Hoegaarden, and others of that type.

Riffraff

As for the beer - try the Orient Bar. They have some different beers on tap - can't remember exactly which ones but I do remember Hoegaarden, and others of that type.

Hoegaarden??? - on tap on a P&O AUS ship??? :eek::eek:

Wow - times must have changed since we last cruised on Pac Dawn a couple of years ago. Hoegaarden will do me just fine, thank you! :)

Barry

Riffraff

Hoegaarden??? - on tap on a P&O AUS ship??? :eek::eek:

Wow - times must have changed since we last cruised on Pac Dawn a couple of years ago. Hoegaarden will do me just fine, thank you! :)

Barry

But what he didn't mention was that they didn't have any Hoegarden on board on our cruise :( Apparantley they didn't load any on in Sydney on the turnaround day at the start of our cruise.