Spirit 2/27/05 Review: Wrap Up and Pictures

cruisingfromMN

Thanks to all who have been following my day by day review of the 2/27/05 sailing. It has been a pleasure writing and I appreciate all the postive comments! I just thought that I would do some followup points.

1. There was much discussion on various threads about needing egg crate mattresses since the beds were so hard. We did request one, but never checked to see if they put it on. I have no reason to doubt that they did but we crawled in on the first night, slept great and never thought about it again.

2. There are many threads discussing electrical connections on the Spirit. We purchased a converter mainly because of my concern about using their hair dryers. I have thick hair and worried due to the low wattage, that I would be standing there for forever. Our converter did not fit into the plug as it was reversed to what the connection was. On Monday morning I used the provided hair dryer and it was not bad. When our Room Stewards stopped by I showed them our converter thinking we must be missing something. Generally, we consider ourselves to be smart people, but no way could we get it to work despite the fact that it should. They took one look at it and said they would provide one. A couple minutes later, they had a converter up and running for us. Go figure!

3. About Chair Hogs... they do exist. I know none of you are surprised by this. However, one afternoon we were looking for some chairs, upstairs in the sunny area of the Bier Garten when a waitress approached us and said, follow me. We did and she approached two chairs with towels on them, removed them and said, they have not been here for a while... enjoy!

4. When ordering Pina Colada's or any specialty drink, if you do not want the Souvenir Glass, be sure to say so. They assume you do and of course, they are more expensive! I found the Pina Colada's to be excellent.

5. In our room upon arriving, there was a Latitude Members letter which indicated various discounts available to us. This was nice and we used it in the Jewelry Shop (10% off). Be sure to remember your Latitudes discount for drinks at certain hours and certain bars too. You have to ask for it.

6. I have uploaded some pictures and plan on doing more in the next day or two. You can find them at:

http://community.webshots.com/scripts/controlPanel.fcgi

We still have one roll of film, not quite finished which will show The Canopy Tour and Tabyana Beach. When ready, I will upload those too.

7. We were off the ship very quickly on Friday morning. NCL always has excelled with this process. We had scheduled the Everglades Tour since our flight was not until 4:30. Not a bad tour but one that once you have been there, you don't have to go back. I grew up in Florida so had been there but DH had not. Unfortunately, it was a cold, cloudy day so that made it not so pleasant but we had an EXCELLENT Tour Guide by the name of Derrick.

8. We arrived home to 28 degree weather. Oh no! But the girls were happy to see us as we were to see them.

9. If I can answer any questions, please ask them here. When we're done with questions, I have to get planning for Alaska. YEAH!!!!

10. I have all the Freestyle Dailies that I can scan and convert to PDF's but just trying to figure out where to upload them to. Any help from anyone would be great.

11. Just an update on Duncan Fauche, the Port and Cruise Consultant, see Day 5. Thus far, it does not seem that he will be as helpful as we hoped.

12. Thanks to all who have been so helpful since I joined Cruise Critic last year. And to whoever that was back in March of 2004, in an elevator on the Star, who introduced me to the name http://www.cruisecritic.com THANK YOU!

but it seems the link is to the general webpage and not your specific photos? or did I screw it up?? Menina

Thanks to all who have been following my day by day review of the 2/27/05 sailing. It has been a pleasure writing and I appreciate all the postive comments! I just thought that I would do some followup points.

1. There was much discussion on various threads about needing egg crate mattresses since the beds were so hard. We did request one, but never checked to see if they put it on. I have no reason to doubt that they did but we crawled in on the first night, slept great and never thought about it again.

2. There are many threads discussing electrical connections on the Spirit. We purchased a converter mainly because of my concern about using their hair dryers. I have thick hair and worried due to the low wattage, that I would be standing there for forever. Our converter did not fit into the plug as it was reversed to what the connection was. On Monday morning I used the provided hair dryer and it was not bad. When our Room Stewards stopped by I showed them our converter thinking we must be missing something. Generally, we consider ourselves to be smart people, but no way could we get it to work despite the fact that it should. They took one look at it and said they would provide one. A couple minutes later, they had a converter up and running for us. Go figure!

3. About Chair Hogs... they do exist. I know none of you are surprised by this. However, one afternoon we were looking for some chairs, upstairs in the sunny area of the Bier Garten when a waitress approached us and said, follow me. We did and she approached two chairs with towels on them, removed them and said, they have not been here for a while... enjoy!

4. When ordering Pina Colada's or any specialty drink, if you do not want the Souvenir Glass, be sure to say so. They assume you do and of course, they are more expensive! I found the Pina Colada's to be excellent.

5. In our room upon arriving, there was a Latitude Members letter which indicated various discounts available to us. This was nice and we used it in the Jewelry Shop (10% off). Be sure to remember your Latitudes discount for drinks at certain hours and certain bars too. You have to ask for it.

6. I have uploaded some pictures and plan on doing more in the next day or two. You can find them at:

http://community.webshots.com/scripts/controlPanel.fcgi

We still have one roll of film, not quite finished which will show The Canopy Tour and Tabyana Beach. When ready, I will upload those too.

7. We were off the ship very quickly on Friday morning. NCL always has excelled with this process. We had scheduled the Everglades Tour since our flight was not until 4:30. Not a bad tour but one that once you have been there, you don't have to go back. I grew up in Florida so had been there but DH had not. Unfortunately, it was a cold, cloudy day so that made it not so pleasant but we had an EXCELLENT Tour Guide by the name of Derrick.

8. We arrived home to 28 degree weather. Oh no! But the girls were happy to see us as we were to see them.

9. If I can answer any questions, please ask them here. When we're done with questions, I have to get planning for Alaska. YEAH!!!!

10. I have all the Freestyle Dailies that I can scan and convert to PDF's but just trying to figure out where to upload them to. Any help from anyone would be great.

11. Just an update on Duncan Fauche, the Port and Cruise Consultant, see Day 5. Thus far, it does not seem that he will be as helpful as we hoped.

12. Thanks to all who have been so helpful since I joined Cruise Critic last year. And to whoever that was back in March of 2004, in an elevator on the Star, who introduced me to the name http://www.cruisecritic.com THANK YOU!

Just wondering since you're an experienced cruiser on both the Spirit and Star, which one do you prefer and why?

That is really, really difficult to answer... and I don't think I could pick one over the other because of some major differences.

The Spirit has elegance and class where the Star is more of a fun, entertaining kind of ship. The elegance and class fit well for this trip since DH and I were looking for romantic times.

We saw a balcony room on the Spirit and I don't think we would have been as pleased as in a balcony room on the Star. The Star's standard balcony definitely much more classy than the Spirit.

The Star is great for kids because of the pool areas.

This is probably difficult for me to answer because it is hard to judge objectively when we had our first Penthouse on the Spirit and all the wonderful amenities to go with it. We are trying to change our Star reservation to a Penthouse from a mini-suite so I might be better able to answer it after that.

I am sorry to be so middle of the road but I just can't choose.

Thanks for the pictures, what fun to see you and your hubby. It's always nice to see the face that fits the name. Thanks for the extensive review.:)

We lived in Minnesota when we first got married, and found the people there to be very nice and friendly.

cruisingfromMN,

Outstanding review, we leave Friday on 9 day exotic southern in an AD penthouse. We had debated between AC and AD, but the choice was made for us when we called, only had one suite left, AD. We did sail last year in an AFT penthouse on the Sky and loved it, this should be no exception. We also enjoyed our mini-suite on the Dawn, very comfortable cabin, large balcony (no butler :( ), great ship. You will enjoy a mini-suite on the Star if you do not get a penthouse.

DKJ,

You may find this link helpful for viewing many of the public areas on the Spirit.

http://www.shipcafe.net/shipcafe/sp/nclsp.htm

Less than three days to go!!! :D

cruisingfromMN,

Thanks so much for the awesome reviews of the Spirit AND the killer pics of your penthouse. I can't wait to go on this ship in less than 3 weeks! WHOOOOP!!

After your review and your pics, I have to tell you that my wife and I are def going to book a penthouse for our next cruise. It looks like you had a great and romantic time....I'm looking forward to the same on our 9 night cruise!!

cruisingfromMN,

Outstanding review, we leave Friday on 9 day exotic southern in an AD penthouse. We had debated between AC and AD, but the choice was made for us when we called, only had one suite left, AD. We did sail last year in an AFT penthouse on the Sky and loved it, this should be no exception. We also enjoyed our mini-suite on the Dawn, very comfortable cabin, large balcony (no butler :( ), great ship. You will enjoy a mini-suite on the Star if you do not get a penthouse.

DKJ,

You may find this link helpful for viewing many of the public areas on the Spirit.

Thanks! We have done a Mini-Suite on the Star and it was great then. But, after experiencing a Penthouse, it is so hard to go back. I know we will surivive.

My husband just gave me the converter kit he takes to Germany and other places in Europe. Is that what you had that didn't work?? It's kind of heavy, so if it won't work I won't bring it. thanks:)

We had a converter that had several other country options, including Asian countries. We should have been able to by a locking mechanism, engage the Asian plug-in. However, the plug in the bathroom was upside down but the converter could not be turned. It was weird to say the least. Do a search here as a few weeks ago there was an extensive thread that discussed exactly what you would need.

Thanks! We have done a Mini-Suite on the Star and it was great then. But, after experiencing a Penthouse, it is so hard to go back. I know we will surivive.

We know what you mean, our first cruise was Alaska (2000) on the Sky in a standard balcony. We next booked the S/S Norway for a seven day E. Caribbean. Decided on a mini-suite due to five sea days, thought we would like the extra space and the price was right. Less than two weeks from sailing got a call from NCL with an upgrade offer, $700 more total, for an owner's suite. We took it, all 983sq feet of it, deck 11, half the width of the ship(all floor to ceiling, wall to wall windows), overlooking the bow and 7200 ton tenders she took with her. No balcony or butler, but enough space in the living area for the party of eighteen we had one evening before dinner. We will miss that old boat.

We have not been in a standard cabin since...hmm, I wonder why.

Cruisingfrom MN, what type of penthouse did you and DH have? AB, AC, AD ...? Do you know the differences between them on the Spirit--is the AB the one with a second bedroom and the AC/AD with just one bedroom?

I am beginning my research for a future cruise on the Spirit once she leaves from NYC--thanks to your awesome review(s)!

:-)

Cruisingfrom MN, what type of penthouse did you and DH have? AB, AC, AD ...? Do you know the differences between them on the Spirit--is the AB the one with a second bedroom and the AC/AD with just one bedroom?

I am beginning my research for a future cruise on the Spirit once she leaves from NYC--thanks to your awesome review(s)!

:-)

We had an AC - 10018. There are two AB Suites on the Spirit that we would like to try next. They are in the front of the ship, on each corner. They have the wrap around balcony but I don't know about two bedrooms. The AD Penthouses are on the back, along with two Owner Suites. We would have booked onboard, but the NY sailing does not interest us so guess it will force us to the Jewel.

NCL, if you are reading this, please, please find a way to get us into a Penthouse for the Star this summer!

What do you think CC Members? Will begging work?????

:) THANK'S for the GREAT PICTURES!!!! I truly enjoyed them!! Your suite looked absolutely, positively perfect!!! I CAN'T WAIT to see our AB on the Dawn next month!! I do hope you can upgrade to a penthouse on your next cruise.

As DKJ asked, do you have any other pictures of the ship that you can share with us too? That would be GREAT!!

TTFN

Suesan:):):)

:) THANK'S for the GREAT PICTURES!!!! I truly enjoyed them!! Your suite looked absolutely, positively perfect!!! I CAN'T WAIT to see our AB on the Dawn next month!! I do hope you can upgrade to a penthouse on your next cruise.

As DKJ asked, do you have any other pictures of the ship that you can share with us too? That would be GREAT!!

TTFN

Suesan:):):)

I do have some that I will try to remember to bring to work tomorrow to upload. We also have another roll of film to finish and then develop too. I can't wait to hear how your AB is on the Dawn.

cruisingfromMN,

DKJ,

Great site!

Does anyone know if there is one like this for Star or Dawn?:confused:

CruisingfromMn

You have done us all a great service by posting your great review & pictures. I am currently booked into suite #10002 for the cruise to Alaska on the Spirit. Your reviews have been very helpful & alot of fun to read. Your pictures are some of the best I've seen.

Note to greenie. If you want to find out more about the AB suites go back to earlier postings. There has been a lot of discussion about these suites. I think it was back in January. Look for postings by MrTractor. In summary the AB suites have only one bedroom just like tha AD, AC & Owners suites. The AB & Owners suites are somewhat larger & some (not all) have an additional 1/2 bath. I believe that the corner AB suites have a second balcony.

CruisingfromMn

You have done us all a great service by posting your great review & pictures. I am currently booked into suite #10002 for the cruise to Alaska on the Spirit. Your reviews have been very helpful & alot of fun to read. Your pictures are some of the best I've seen.

Note to greenie. If you want to find out more about the AB suites go back to earlier postings. There has been a lot of discussion about these suites. I think it was back in January. Look for postings by MrTractor. In summary the AB suites have only one bedroom just like tha AD, AC & Owners suites. The AB & Owners suites are somewhat larger & some (not all) have an additional 1/2 bath. I believe that the corner AB suites have a second balcony.

I am glad that you have enjoyed my review and pictures. You will love the Spirit! Have a great time...

:mad: We just back from the Spirit March 13th Cruise, and the food in the main dinging room was horrendous. I am not kidding. We could only choke it down once. I would compare this to a KFC or a lower end buffet.

The food in the Alternative ding was a little better than average but worth it. The steak was not par with Ruth Chris but it was good.

The beds on this ship were like sleeping on the floor. We love cruise ships beds. These were the worst! We complained and the steward laughed. “He said this happens every week.” The added an egg crate but it did not help. Poor sleep! With a three year old with Grandma the #1 excursion was suppose to be sleep.

My rank

Holland America (1)

Celebrity (2)

Carnival (3)

Princess (1)

Royal Caribbean (2)

NCL Sorry it is the worst we have been on! If it was not free I would complain. Thanks to MBNA. I have another 1,200 points to use so I will probably go again for free, but IF had to pay I would not chose this line.

cruisingfromMN:

I just upgraded to a BC balcony for the April 1st sailing for the 9 day itinerary. They offered me the AC Penthouse and I'm really kicking myself in the rear for not taking it. Your slide show is amazing. I've watched it about...hmmmmm....maybe 458 times so far. I'm just worried that if we go to the AC, then we will never be able to cruise in a "normal" room again. Was I crazy to pass up the AC? I tried calling cabin re-assignment desk last night, but they closed at 8 pm and I called 15 minutes too late. I can only imagine how wonderful the room must really be, because the pictures just never really do it justice (and yours are WONDERFUL!) Also, if you don't mind me asking you, how much did you tip your buttler for the week (upfront and at the end).

Thanks so much! I'm more excited about this cruise on the Spirit than I have been for any other before. Thanks again for any info you can offer me and the fantastic review series.

jeff

Archived