Any News on how Dawn is doing in DryDock?

Husney

Valleyguyva - it would just be a guess, but you would have deck 11 between your cabin and deck 12 so I wouldn't think noise would be an issue. There are penthouse suites on deck 9 if you wanted that extra deck of noise protection.

I was going to suggest the aft penthouse cabins on 10, but they are gone.

I remember waiting last year for news of the Star and how the renovations were going. The Dawn is getting the same kind of work done that the Star had last year.

Fun!

We were just on the Star, and I have to say that if they renovated it, they did a horrible job. Or, they only did the public areas, and didn't touch the balcony or mini-suites (we had three balcony staterooms on deck 10 and one mini-suite on deck 11 in our group). The couch was faded from the sun, the drapes were worn and had tears in them, and the furniture chipped. The non-skid on the balconies had chunks missing from it (on three of the four; the fourth balcony stateroom was a handicapped stateroom and had a raised aluminum plate over the non-skid). And the beds were rock hard (we loved the beds on the Sky and Jade last year, and both ships looked much better than the Star).

Considering a Penthouse Suite on Deck 10 for the 8/12 sailing to Bermuda from Boston. Wondering if the construction on Deck 12 will still be in process by then? Any ideas?

The press release says the cabins will be ready for the 9/16 sailing.

We were just on the Star, and I have to say that if they renovated it, they did a horrible job. Or, they only did the public areas, and didn't touch the balcony or mini-suites (we had three balcony staterooms on deck 10 and one mini-suite on deck 11 in our group). The couch was faded from the sun, the drapes were worn and had tears in them, and the furniture chipped. The non-skid on the balconies had chunks missing from it (on three of the four; the fourth balcony stateroom was a handicapped stateroom and had a raised aluminum plate over the non-skid). And the beds were rock hard (we loved the beds on the Sky and Jade last year, and both ships looked much better than the Star).

Oh bummer you were obviously not in the same cabin as us on deck 10. Our bed was fabulous. Yes our couch was very warn and stained from many passengers before us but that was about the only wear we seen. Everything else in our cabin was great, I don't imagine new but still in very good shape. Glad to see the Dawn is getting the new TV's, hopefully they will fix the system to them as well to have on TV onboard account information.

Valleyguyva - it would just be a guess, but you would have deck 11 between your cabin and deck 12 so I wouldn't think noise would be an issue. There are penthouse suites on deck 9 if you wanted that extra deck of noise protection.

I was going to suggest the aft penthouse cabins on 10, but they are gone.

The aft penthouse cabins on deck 10 have not changed,they are wonderful! The cabins are very quiet with the spa above and the very large balconies.

The only aft cabins I would be concerned with are those on deck 8.When the Star was transformed many complained they could hear the music from the lounge below.Hopefully NCL paid attention and soundproofed adequately.

Anybody want to guess what time she'll be home?

she should be docked by tomorrow morning. Currently shes not that far from boston. Sailing at full speed, i got a feeling she can hit boston by 2am

she should be docked by tomorrow morning. Currently shes not that far from boston. Sailing at full speed, i got a feeling she can hit boston by 2am

She's nowhere near full speed at this time. Luckily with the previous day's gulf stream current in favor power has been under ten megawatts. Don't want to break before the break in. ;)

Cheers,

Norman

Oh bummer you were obviously not in the same cabin as us on deck 10. Our bed was fabulous. Yes our couch was very warn and stained from many passengers before us but that was about the only wear we seen. Everything else in our cabin was great, I don't imagine new but still in very good shape. Glad to see the Dawn is getting the new TV's, hopefully they will fix the system to them as well to have on TV onboard account information.

All four of our cabins were worn. I'm not sure that the others with us, all newbies, really noticed, but it was definitely a "step down" from our experience on the Sky and Jade in 2010.

You still had the little CRT tube-style TVs in your cabin, right? From the press release, it looks like all the Dawn cabins will get new flat screen TVs. Maybe NCL learned their lesson with the less-than-spectacular refit of the Star.

All four of our cabins were worn. I'm not sure that the others with us, all newbies, really noticed, but it was definitely a "step down" from our experience on the Sky and Jade in 2010.

You still had the little CRT tube-style TVs in your cabin, right? From the press release, it looks like all the Dawn cabins will get new flat screen TVs. Maybe NCL learned their lesson with the less-than-spectacular refit of the Star.

Well as I said, your cabins certainly sound like they had more wear than ours. All we had was a sofa with obvious wear of over 700 butts a year sitting on it. Yes I did have the old tube TV, which really wasn’t a big deal to us, nothing really to watch on it anyway and even when we were in our cabin we spent more time on our balcony. I am glad to see the dawn was financially able to upgrade the TV’s and hopefully put in the system that allows you to check your onboard account.

If our bed was uncomfortable, that would have been an issue for me, but as I said our bed was wonderful. Otherwise the wear to me was not an issue. Common logic tells me in today’s economic situation that, with over 1000 non-suite cabins on a ship the size of the Star, to change out all the TV’s on a ship of that size would cost over $200,000 at least to change the sofas over $400,000. Add to that list beds (which I feel should be 1st in their considerations), curtains, rugs, bedding, tables in cabins alone not counting things that have to be changed out in common areas. There is only so much money to go around, unless you prefer your cruise cost to go way up.

If the ship only has so much money to put into any upgrades or improvements I’m sure that everyone would have their own idea on where it should be spent. I think the passengers safety, comfort (beds) and enjoyment should be top on the list. However in saying that, I can understand the company’s decision to move of the spinnaker for new cabins to try and generate more income (although I’m not a big fan of the new spinnaker).

So would you rather new curtains or a price increase?

She's home:D I can't wait to get these kids off to school so I can walk up the street and see her.

This is funny, it sounds like everyone is talking about a child that was away at college. ;)

Nice Day to be in Boston after the weather we had. Spring like temperatures are finally here after weeks of cold and rainy weather. The summer cruising season can now start with the Boston to Bermuda cruises started. Can't wait to see the new changes to the ship.

Fullsize.jpg?browser_popup=320x240

I wasn't speaking about the whole ship being renovated, but the changes that they made to deck 12 specifically. What they did to the Star is what they are doing to the Dawn. In addition to adding the new suites on 12 where the Spinnaker Lounge, game room and lifestyles room used to be they also moved the gift shop, which is now where the new Spinnaker is. They also changed the location of the Blue Lagoon and the location of the photo gallery.

Archived