Douro river cruise

4774Papa

"Dear Mr. Eichner:

Thank you very much for your email. The Douro Spirit, being a new ship, has experienced some “teething” problems as most new ships do, but in general we have been disappointed with the delivery of our product and services. Thus, we have been working diligently with the owner/operator of the ship to address those issues as quickly as possible. The overall guest satisfaction ratings have consequently improved significantly over the course of the last few weeks, and we fully expect that to continue as further improvements and enhancements are made. We have Uniworld personnel currently onboard the ship in quality assurance roles, and we are pleased with the progress that has been made.

With regard to the Dining Room, we have replaced the furniture with new furniture that better fits the space. We have also reconfigured the buffet to allow for better flow and easier access to it, and we have Uniworld culinary staff working with the Douro Azul staff to ensure our guests’ dining experience is an enjoyable one. We have seen considerable improvement in the guest ratings for the Dining Room and meal service, and we are fully committed to the success of the culinary program.

In terms of the itinerary, I believe you will find it to be a nice mix of leisurely sailing and interesting excursions. We’ve been offering this itinerary for many years, and we have consistently received positive comments and high scores for it. The Douro River Valley is a Unesco World Heritage Site and, thus, I’m sure you will thoroughly enjoy traveling through this extraordinarily beautiful part of the world.

Mr. Eichner, thank you again for contacting us and for choosing to cruise with Uniworld. We know you expect a worry-free holiday, and I want to assure you that we are fully committed to meeting if not exceeding your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you to Portugal, and, in the meantime, if I may be of further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

With kind regards,

Scott"

As you might expect from a top tier cruise line they seem to be trying their best to get things right. I, for one, plan to give it a go.

Folks, my wife and I are on the cruise now. So far everything is fine. The only thing is that my DW thinks the decorating is too modern...all white,silver,and black. A little different from other Uniworld ships but don't forget this ship is leased from Douro Azul. The lounge smells like a new car. Food good, service friendly, cabin fine. Looking forward to dinner tonite. If any thing pops up I will let you know. Any questions.:)

Dear GMCMRET,

What do you mean....."If any thing pops up I will let you know" ? Want to know everything [sorry more than a bit anal about this kind of stuff....ducks in a row and all that]. Seriously, please do try to comment about anything that stands out. How did the precruise stay work out? Larry

Hi, this is my first post here although I’ve been reading the boards for a long time now. I just got back from a Douro river cruise last week on the Douro Spirit, and I couldn’t be more pleased. After reading some of the reviews of the earlier cruisers I must admit I became a little apprehensive about the cruise.

But the cruise was great and the ship seemed wonderful to me. Probably all the issues mentioned earlier were fixed. The food was great, the staff was always very helpful – housekeeping ladies are among the best I’ve encountered in many years of traveling - and I loved the tours, especially the one to Salamanca. Of course the main attraction of the cruise was the landscape that is absolutely breathtaking. When you think about the amount of hard work, during several centuries, that was needed to create this amazing landscape you can’t help but feeling awed by it.

Regarding the cruise, I enjoyed every minute of it and would recommend it without second thought.

Thanks so much for your input. So glad you enjoyed your trip. What did you do in Lisbon in addition to the included half day city tour? Did you spend any extra time in Porto? If so, any recommendations?

Jane

Rundent and others...

Everything still good, weather very nice. For others, cruise director did say July, August, and parts of Sept are very hot, and the grape season is crowded. We had dinner off the ship twice as per the program, and enjoyed both although the roast pork dinner at the monastery was better. Today we toured the Mateus Castle,and on the way back to the ship saw some SPECTACULAR scenery...tomorrow on the river supposed to be even better. More later.:)

Rundent and others...

Everything still good, weather very nice. For others, cruise director did say July, August, and parts of Sept are very hot, and the grape season is crowded. We had dinner off the ship twice as per the program, and enjoyed both although the roast pork dinner at the monastery was better. Today we toured the Mateus Castle,and on the way back to the ship saw some SPECTACULAR scenery...tomorrow on the river supposed to be even better. More later.:)

Appreciate your comments and look forward to hearing more from you. We go on same trip in early Nov. so will avoid hot weather. Are you staying over in Porto? Interested in your total experience so long as you have the time to share.

Again, thank you.

Susan

Good day on the Duoro Spirit...A full day in Salamanca Spain. Long bus ride ,but worth the time. In the AM we went shopping, then an included paella lunch with Flamenco dancers, then a PM walking tour of Salamanca...very nice. After the bus ride back to the ship a great Portuguese grilled dinner(variety of salads, hamburgers, hotdogs, ribs, beef filet,ff,soup,sangria) served on the Sun Deck, very good. Live music..a good time had by all. Cruise nearing the end...2 more days. Can't complain, and this is our third Uniworld cruise.:)

Good day on the Duoro Spirit...A full day in Salamanca Spain. Long bus ride ,but worth the time. In the AM we went shopping, then an included paella lunch with Flamenco dancers, then a PM walking tour of Salamanca...very nice. After the bus ride back to the ship a great Portuguese grilled dinner(variety of salads, hamburgers, hotdogs, ribs, beef filet,ff,soup,sangria) served on the Sun Deck, very good. Live music..a good time had by all. Cruise nearing the end...2 more days. Can't complain, and this is our third Uniworld cruise.:)

Thank your fo the update!

Susan

Its a small thing, but I noticed that a library was not listed on the boat info page. Is there a library on the ship? or at least a place that they have books. I thought all ships had one. With luggage restrictions being what they are, I don't want to lug any books with me. Thanks, Jane

With the ship and it's excursions in fine fettle I needed something else to fret about and sure enough, I got lucky. And here it is: what happens if Portugal falls apart like Greece appears to be ready to do?

We are on this cruise. I am looking to see if anyone is interested in joining tours. Plan is walking tour of Jewish heritage sites in Lisbon afternoon of June 30 or July 1 (after prepaid city tour), July 2 trip to Tomar. Don't yet have pricing, will reduce with number of people. Let me know soon.

Fellow Cruisers: Just returned from our Douro River cruise aboard the Unworld leased Douro Spirit and it was great. Concerns about the ship should be disregarded as they have everything under control as far as we could see. As a matter of fact, the day we left they were completely remodeling the lounge to make it "warmer". Food was good, complimentary wine with dinner, good land excursions, and if you like port wine you will get your fill. Best of all were the sights and scenery along the Douro, beautiful. The worst part of the trip was traveling home. Up at 2:30 AM for a 6 AM flight to Frankfurt, connect on Lufthansa to Newark, and then 6 hours in EWR for our flight to PBI. Home at 1:30 AM. Thats almost 28 hours I think if I'm not too jet lagged. Next time I'm going from Miami. :) Anyway, I would do it again.

I'm not on your trip but would love some info on the Jewish tour

thanks

Jane

Jane, contact Episode Travel, website is episode-travel.com. I haven't used them yet, obviously, but Rafaella is very prompt in replying, and she arranged our custom touring in only a few hours. Their email address is enquiry@episode-travel.com. Good luck

Fellow Cruisers: Just returned from our Douro River cruise aboard the Unworld leased Douro Spirit and it was great. Concerns about the ship should be disregarded as they have everything under control as far as we could see. As a matter of fact, the day we left they were completely remodeling the lounge to make it "warmer". Food was good, complimentary wine with dinner, good land excursions, and if you like port wine you will get your fill. Best of all were the sights and scenery along the Douro, beautiful. The worst part of the trip was traveling home. Up at 2:30 AM for a 6 AM flight to Frankfurt, connect on Lufthansa to Newark, and then 6 hours in EWR for our flight to PBI. Home at 1:30 AM. Thats almost 28 hours I think if I'm not too jet lagged. Next time I'm going from Miami. :) Anyway, I would do it again.

Thanks for the posting. You say food is "good"?? I guess that means it was not "great"? Have you been on other Uniworld river cruises and how does the food compare to them, or to AMA, etc. How is the coffee, do they charge you for cappucino?

Hi, we travelled on the DS mid May and my sister two weeks later. Beautiful ship, modern decor, cabins adequate size. But...if this had been our first Uniworld River Cruise it would have been our last. We were very disappointed with the food which we felt was not good. We all complained to Uniworld who have acknowledged that there have been problems which they are endeavouring to put right. And to be fair to Uniworld we have all received compensation for our disappointment. The Douro is a beautiful river and you will enjoy the lanscape and of course the Port tasting. :rolleyes:

Thanks again. I do have at least one more question. What made you choose Lufthansa as apposed to TAP's direct flight to Newark? Larry

I booked a roundtrip with Continental and at the time I booked, TAP would not release any seats even though it is a partner airline therefore Lufthansa through Frankfurt. I have seen other references to a direct flight to EWR, but all I've ever found was a Porto to Lisbon to EWR flight. What did I miss?

Archived