MDR questions for those of you that have recently sailed

A few of you may want to get the popcorn ready. I have a feeling I may get flamed for one of these. I did search the Allure thread for specific answers and didn't have much luck. I knew better than to try the main RCCI thread.

1. DS is 7. On CASUAL nights, is it acceptable for him to wear plaid dress shorts (like from Gymboree) and a coordinated polo shirt to dinner in the MDR should he choose to go?

2. Is it chilly in the MDR? On other cruise lines, I have been known to bring a jacket to wear because I get cold. DS does too.

FYI, I am not against dress pants for DS. I already have to buy a pair for him for the other nights.

On the May 1st sailing of the Allure, we saw children wearing short sets in the main dining room even on formal night.

Just for your info: my husband no longer wears a tux while on a cruise and hasn't for many years - and on this last cruise he didn't even wear his suit. He did wear a sport coat, dress pants, shirt & tie. He did not look out of place at all. As soon as dinner is over on formal nights and we have had our pictures taken - we change into shorts.

With all of the luggage restrictions/fees - we are trying to keep our suitcase total down to one checked bag and one carry-on for each of us. It does not leave room for a tux and formal gowns. So I wear a "church" dress and my husband wears his sport coat. On non-formal nights I wear a casual dress and husband wears dress pants and a shirt.

On the May 1st sailing of the Allure, we saw children wearing short sets in the main dining room even on formal night.

Yea, what she said ;) I understand about the suitcases, my wife and I did it on one large and one medium bag, but we skipped formal night altogether.

We just sailed on May 8th and were with my 1 year old daughter. We ate in the MDR for most nights and she was usually pretty casually dressed--including just a cute top and shorts. I never thought it was too cold in there -- I brought a cardigan for her to use but never felt the need to use it.

I'm sure your DS will look cute in his plaid shorts and will not be out of place. For kids on formal night they look so cute in suits but dress pants and shirt are fine. The Carribean is pretty informal. For grown men though I wish they would follow the dress code and wear some kind of pants.

Thanks. DH typically wears a suit on formal night, and DS wears dress pants with a button down. He owns a tie, but I don't know if I can bribe him to wear it. We have done other cruise lines that were less formal with on MDR attire. I was hoping with the advent of the summer (more kids) and the appearance that the Allure was somewhat more kid-friendly, DS would be good. Thanks everyone!

• 3 weeks later...

I am bumping this post up.

I have an 11 yr old and I would like to put him in madras plaid shorts with a polo shirt too. I think he would be much happier. I am with you on the Gymbo. I say go for it for a summer cruise. We put the Fisherman sandals with the shorts and they look great

Archived