Princess Cays Bungalows

stoneharborlady

Praying somone answers before the mods kick this elsewhere. I have posted it on Private Islands, but it will get an answer so much faster here. Is the beach in front of the bungalows nice, no rocks in water, or is it better to walk back to a swimming area, and is that far? Trying to figure if it is worth renting a bungalow, or if it will be a waste for us, as we still have to go lug our lunch back. Thank you!

If you get one of the closer bungalows, lugging your lunch back will take all of 5 minutes. The regular sandy entrance isn't that far either. It depends on what you are looking for. For me, having a home base for our group was worth the extra money and I'd do it again. I liked having an inside table to eat, a place to dump our stuff and privacy. I also liked the priority tender tickets and the ride over and back for our entire group.

Does anyone know how many are available?-I thought 12-16 total?

Are numbers broken up[standard bungalow vs sanctuary]?

Are some better than others-location?

the only difference with sanctuary vs std bungalows is adults only and a better lounge chair?

In both do you pay extra for the gormet lunch=$25pp?

Trying find out as much as I can prior to booking.

There are only two of us but may try get another couple to split costs.

There was only 2 of us in May, I thought it was expensive at 1st but would do it again, every time. They were fab, a cool place to have lunch, change, store things. The ship kept offering the chance to upgrade to gourmet lunch but we didn't. It's not that far to carry it. Plenty of waiters for drinks, (we tipped well at the beginning). Beach is rocky in front of bungalows but we went in with aqua chairs, fab, also snorkelers there. Rest rooms there also. 6 loungers per bungalow all set out with rolled towels on. 1 umbrella per bungalow. Only prob was not long enough there!

Thank you everyone. Happy to hear there are actually restrooms near the bungalows, and you dont have to walk all the way back near the tenders. I am surprised though, given the fact that to rent one is expensive, that they didnt make an effort to make the beach in front of the bungalows less rocky and more attractive.

We had the last bungalow and wasn't too happy that there was no shade around it. If you can, request Bungalow 6 - 8, they all seemed to have some nice palm trees which shaded the front porch as well as the front if you prefer shade. Agree, the beach is very rocky, but would have liked more time there.

Here are my thoughts

We rented a sanctuary bungalow on Princess Cay and opted for the additional private served lunch. We were given 4 priority tender passes. We went over with our passes at 9am, one of the first off the ship.

The experience was truly exceptional. The sanctuary bungalow had the extra features we wanted (and were adult only) and some we were not aware of vs. the standard beach bungalows. They are located at the end which was positive and negative: a little farther away was the positive and negative. There was nice shade at the bungalow and an “upgraded” set of 4 lounge chairs. The shade came from an overhang out front of the hut and more palm and other trees to sit under in addition to an umbrella. None of these were offered for the regular beach bungalows. In addition, there are water misters in front of the hut that provide a cooling effect (despite the humidity). So relaxing at the hut was exceptional and a spectacular view 180 degrees around. There was a lot of peace and tranquility as the staff prevented others from walking by. That sounds bad as I type it, but again, we were able to relax, read and sleep with no distractions. I guess this would have been similar with the sanctuary area on the ship. We ate inside with the air conditioning and ceiling fan and then relaxed outside. Bar staff made frequent runs by the bungalow that was nice not having to go down to the bar (not that it was that far). We snorkeled and were impressed (and surprised) that a reef still exists albeit small. There were some great fish and we got some ideal underwater photos. They do keep you confined to a roped off area and dare to go past the boundary! A security guard on a jet ski flies at top speed down the entire length of the beach to stop on a dime in front of you to tell you can’t be there. Really ridiculous. He did more damage to the shallow coral going at top speed down the entire length of the beach than any person snorkeling could do! (Well, maybe not as there are those who insist on standing…)

It took about 10 minutes to walk back to the tender, and another 10 min waiting in line to get on. This was at 2:20 for those that wondered. All in all, this was a great day and another highlight of the cruise. We have been to a number of private islands but this one was very special and enjoyable.

We ordered the extra lunch and were quite impressed, especially with the seafood platter: lobster tails, huge shrimp, all which tasted fresh and was chilled.

Menu is set. They deliver by course at pre determined times. First was snacks: Peanuts chips and popcorn. Then chilled gazpacho soup. Then seafood platter. It included 1 lobster tail on shell, 2 tiger prawns and one green lip mussel with lemon and cocktail sauce per person. (from The movie "Trading Places", would you like lobster or the cracked crab sir?). It was delicious. Then the entree which is jerk chicken, BBQ pork spare ribs, and a tossed salad with a balsamic vinegar cream dressing and a French dressing. Next was a fruit tray with mango, pineapple, strawberries and watermelon with a sour cream dip with herbs (dill). Finally they come around with an ice cream sundae: vanilla ice cream with chocolate and caramel sauce, nuts, cherry and whipping cream. Note that it was mostly melted by the time it reached us. We were very impressed with the quality of the food and that they delivered it course by course. And that we didn't have to wait in the grill line for hamburgers and hot dogs.

They pick the bungalow but they seemed to cluster those that were rented together and again other passengers do not get to come into this area where these bungalows are until after 1pm.

They give you a excursion ticket and priority tender passes on ship. You go when you want vs waiting for a tender ticket to be called. Once on The island a person will send you to a pickup area where you can take a motorized cart close to where you will be. Or you could make the 10-15 min walk.

The sanctuary vs beach bungalow differences: farther away from the others (and no one was “allowed” in this area by your bungalow for a little more quiet until after 1 when the staff closed the bar and ditched everybody); shade (umbrella, shade over little patio; more trees; there were no trees next to the bungalows at the beach units, but you could pull your lounge chairs closer to the water and on occasion, find some shade. The difference was that it was right next to your bungalow for the sanctuary); the misters (several on the patio. So if you wanted to pull out your table and four chairs from inside the bungalow, you could sit on your shaded patio with misters on you; actually quite nice). Upgraded lounge chairs that I at least found a bit more comfortable. Those were the main differences. For me, the $50 was a no-brainer.

Thank you all for your input, it is appreciated! Odd, on the Princess website it says for the regular bungalows, six are allowed, in the next sentence it says four. Hoping six is correct, and that we will all be permitted on the early tender, should we be lucky enough to snag a bungalow in the first place! :)

Karen

Did I read correctly they provide two free floats for your use?

I know I read it on cruise critic somewhere-not sure if its still offered?

On Priority tender-Do we walk down to deck 4 to get on or do we have to go where everyone else is waiting to go onto the island[maybe Explorers lounge/Dining Room]?

We were at Princess Cays in late April and got a bungalow. We did get the two free floats. They were in the bungalow when we arrived. We always get the bungalow and love it. It is a great way to spend a relaxing day on the beach.

With the priority tender-did you go directly down to deck 4 or go where everyone else was?

Did you walk ahead of everyone to tender?:confused:

They give you priority tender passes the day or two before going in your room. Then you can go down as early as 9 or when ever they are anchored. You go straight down to deck 4 and they will board you. If you don't have the pass they will turn you around and tell you to get one (the regular passes which re first cone first served). So the priority allows you off either first or whenever you want to get off and doesn't require you to stop and get one or wait.

• 2 weeks later...

Questions from a future bungalow dreamer...

With all that I've read...the Sanctuary "Adults Only" Bungalows seem to be "fenced" off from everyone -and- "behind" a sea wall -and- "in a palm tree grove" -and- a 3 minute walk down a path to the beach. This all makes it see like there isn't any "view" of the water when you are sitting in front of your "bungalow".

For those of you who have had a Sanctuary "Adults Only" Bungalow, how is the "view" from the front "porch" of the bungalow? I love to relax in the shade looking out at the ocean and maybe at our ship anchored in the bay.

Please correct me here if I'm mistaken...the regular bungalows have a lattice fence around the "porch or deck" in front of the doors. The "Sanctuary" bungalows have a roof over a concrete pad that acts as a porch...but that porch is not surrounded by a latticed fence. It also seems that the "roof" isn't a solid one, but one that is more like a trellis that lets the sun filter through.

Is it burdensome to lug your "now free" floats down to the water from the "Sanctuary" bungalows over the natural rock outcroppings? I would think that you couldn't drag them down to the water and back for fear of puncturing them.

Also, how is the snorkeling in front of the Sanctuary "Adults Only" Bungalows?

And just one more question...I've read that there are "misters" and I've read that there is an "out-door" shower with the bungalows...is this with both the regular bungalows -and- with the "Sanctuary" bungalows?

Looking forward to hearing some words of wisdom from those who have already enjoyed the Bungalows on Princess Cay!

Until later...

Debjo

Archived