Disappointing Pre/Post Cruise Moorea Hotel Availability

In conjunction with our return February '05 TP cruise we anticipated doing a pre/post cruise hotel stay to further enjoy FP. From what I can find on the web...and- in talking direct with the InterContinental & Sheraton Hotels there appears to be "no" availability for the Moorea IC BeachComber or Moorea Sheraton for February 2005. This seems a bit strange seeing that we are still more than 9 mos away & it is the low season in FP.

Anyone else having a problem getting 2005 hotel availability? I thought that this just might be that room inventories were not yet loaded - but, that is not the case. It is possible that an increasing number of Tahiti Travel sources and consolidators are blocking out hotel nights...including Princess. Princess does have some availability - but about twice the cost.

Has anyone else been able to book 2005 pre/post hotel nights on their own? SeaFish

I haven't tried booking recently, but my suggestion would be to expand your list of hotels. For example, the Sofitel Moorea is a great hotel with bungalows on very large grounds, and the snorkling is fantastic right off of their beach and pier. Check out some other smaller hotels. Their is also a hotel called Pearl something or other where people have reported having a very nice time. You picked the two most expensive properties on the island. And I agree with you - I think some of the cruiselines or TAs are holding blocks of rooms for their passengers. Go "the road less traveled"

Glenda Madrid

it is my understandig that rates for 2005 won't be out until August. We are going in January and haven't been able to find much info either. I would neer consider going through Princess, the prices are ridiculous. We are planning on going one day early and staying on Moorea at least two days post cruise. Check out tahiti traveler for good info on smaller hotels and pensions.

Laurie

Zenith 02/01

Century 01/02

Century 02/02

Tahitian Princess 01/03

Century 01/04

Tahitian Princess 01/05

Laurie - Thanks for the info. I believe you are right about FP 2005 Hotel Rates not yet being available. I kept getting "no availability" at on-line sites and phone calls to Sheraton & InterContinental said "no availability". But, when I checked various package rates, etc., I noticed that most were only valid through 12-31-2004. Sure enough - when I tried on-line for the last dates of 2004 there was availabilty. When I tried the first days of 2005 - no rooms. So - as you indicate...I think we will see 2005 room inventories and rates become available later this year. Based on past experience - we'll only stay on Tahiti if needed by our travel schedule but - we do want to do a TP post-cruise stay on Moorea for February '05. Would like to do IC BeachComber, Sheraton Moorea or maybe Moorea Pearl Resort. Don't know much about the Pearl Resort. Yes - agree Princess is extremely expensive. Have you decided on a Moorea hotel? Again - thanks for the info. SeaFish

We haven't decided yet. We are looking mostly at smaller hotels and pensions since they fit our budget. I have read up on several that sound great. private thatched roof huts on the beach for far less than the resorts, and several are on the same beaches as the resorts. The Tahiti Traveler website has links to many of them, with pictures. I am interested in seeing any packages that will be available too. We have friends that stayed at the Pearl Resort and said it was very nice.

Laurie

Zenith 02/01

Century 01/02

Century 02/02

Tahitian Princess 01/03

Century 01/04

Tahitian Princess 01/05

Laurie - Thanks for the info. The smaller hotels sound good. In fact - I did get a new copy of the Tahiti Travler Holiday Planner in which it details these locations and others including what to see & do, restaurants, transport, general info, etc. Great brochure. Anyway - I'll keep looking for the 2005 hotel availability and have several inquiries out for 2005 Air/Transfers/Hotel/Meals Packages. I'll let you know if anything turns up. Again - thanks. SeaFish

Chamima - Hi Karen...I requested the FREE-Holiday Planner at www.tahiti-tourisme.com. It's a 54 page, full-color brochure entitled Tahiti & Her Islands Holiday Planner. Lots of great info on each island & the brochure also has a 4-page centerspread that shows various travel resources. There's a "Free Holiday Planner" logo to click on at the website...fill out the info & you should get the brochure within a couple weeks. Hope this helps. SeaFish

• 2 weeks later...

Seafish,

Thanks. I've spent the time between my last post and now agonizing about which cruise but now that we finally booked I'm looking at shore excursions and pre and post cruise hotels.

Also Laurieb thanks for the website.

Chamima - glad to hear you booked your cruise. What itinerary/sail date did you select? If you are looking for hotels availability or pre-post packages (other than what Princess offers)I understand they will not be available until Fall. There appears to be many great deals - you just have to be on top of the offers when they come available for 2005. I'm using Oct 11 as my deadline date to make air & pre/post decisions for a 2/11/05 TP Cruise. Princess air & hotels are definitely more expensive. This will our 2nd trip so we plan to do excursions, etc., that we did not do last trip. This time we'll actually do some Princess tours based on port/timeframe. Hope this helps. SeaFish

• 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joe Friday:

I'm getting no connect on that Tahiti traveler web site- what is correct web address?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try: www.thetahititraveler.com

Happy cruising! icon_smile.gif

Bill

Coming Attractions:

8/23/04 Royal Princess, 12 Day British Isles/Western Europe

3/6/05 Legend of the Seas, 11 day Ensenada to Honolulu

3/17/05 Legend of the Seas, 10 day Honolulu to Ensenada

woops. sorry abut leaving out part of the name. We have made our pre cruise reservations on Moorea. We are staying at Pension Motu Iti, next to the Sheraton. It looks like a nice small family owned pension, and has a reasonably priced restaurant too. We are in a waterfront bungalow for about 120.00 a night. The owners were very prompt in responding.

Laurie

Zenith 02/01

Century 01/02

Century 02/02

Tahitian Princess 01/03

Century 01/04

Tahitian Princess 01/05

• 2 weeks later...

Laurie:

Looks like a great place in Moorea! Are you staying in Papeete for one night and then going over to Moorea? We also will be on the TP and trying to figure out where we should stay precruise. We get in late Wed (technically early Thur - 2:40 AM) to Papeete. Do you have any advice on waiting (I guess in the airport) to get the 6:00 AM shuttle then checking into a hotel in Moorea early morning - or staying in Papeete for 3 nights?

Appreciate any thoughts from any experienced Tahitian Travelers!

Debbie

Archived