Park, Stay & Cruise in Boston, MA

emt6121

Hi 138East,

We are cruising next June on the Dawn. We will arrive on a Thursday evening for our Friday cruise. What hotel is the closest to the port? We won't be doing any sightseeing, and are just using it to sleep. However, I want to be close to the port so as not to deal with rush hour traffic. Thanks!

Are you flying or driving? What is your budget?

The three hotels closest to the port are the Westin Waterfront, the Seaport and the Renaissance, all 4* hotels with prices to match. The Westin is very often on Hotwire for a reasonable price, but it is way too early for next June.

For any hotel in Downtown Boston, rush hour should not be a consideration. Why would you want to go to the port between 6 and 9 am?

The Seaport appears to offer a gov't rate at a substantial discount. Is this very close to the port? If so, this may be a good choice for us. We are driving in (from NJ) but not until after school gets out. Should be there in time for dinner.

The Hyatt Boston harbor is very nice and usually very expensive. If you're coming from NJ however, it's across the harbor just about on the airport property which involves going through one of the tunnels, getting involved with the airport roads, and paying the toll for no particular reason. They probably also charge for parking.

I'm not sure how to advise you. What is your budget and how many people? If you're coming from NJ and don't want to sightsee, I guess I don't understand why you want to pay for an expensive in town hotel plus parking when you can stay very reasonably in the Waltham or Burlington area along route 128 and have an easy drive to the port leaving at 10 am.

The Hyatt Boston harbor is very nice and usually very expensive. If you're coming from NJ however, it's across the harbor just about on the airport property which involves going through one of the tunnels, getting involved with the airport roads, and paying the toll for no particular reason. They probably also charge for parking.

I'm not sure how to advise you. What is your budget and how many people? If you're coming from NJ and don't want to sightsee, I guess I don't understand why you want to pay for an expensive in town hotel plus parking when you can stay very reasonably in the Waltham or Burlington area along route 128 and have an easy drive to the port leaving at 10 am.

We have 2 adults and 2 teens. I'd like to keep it at or under $300. We are driving, yes. I don't know the area at all, that's why I thought it would be just easier to stay right by the port, but if Waltham or Burlington is an easy drive to the port, then that is more than ok as well! I can navigate NYC with my eyes closed lol but haven't been to Boston since my youngest was a toddler. Thanks for your help.

Edited by SissasMomE

The Hotwire Waterfront area hotel is highly likely to be the Westin, but could be the Seaport or the Renaissance. Those are the only 4* hotels in that area.

What is your date next June? It might be too soon to be booking hotels on Hotwire for that time.

The Hotwire Waterfront area hotel is highly likely to be the Westin, but could be the Seaport or the Renaissance. Those are the only 4* hotels in that area.

What is your date next June? It might be too soon to be booking hotels on Hotwire for that time.

June 12 - 13. I can wait a few months. I just don't want to get stuck!

I don't think you will get stuck at all. June 12 is beyond the college graduation season. The hotels along 128 are nice suburban hotels close to the highway and primarily service business travelers. They have no idea a year ahead what their bookings will be, but there are always choices out there on Hotwire plus direct bookings. A bunch of them are close to Burlington Mall which has shopping, movies, and a choice of restaurants. From there it is a quick trip up 128 and down 93 to the port.

Hyatt Boston Harbor is at the airport. Great place to stay to catch an early flight, but not very convenient for seeing Boston. Quick water taxi across the harbor to get to the cruise terminal, but still, it's at best a very nice airport location hotel.

Our favorite 4* hotel in the waterfront District is on Hotwire for $183 + tax for 9/28. This is highly likely to be the Westin but could be the Seaport or the Renaissance. This will put you in one of the closest hotels to the port (all three hotels are very very nice and within two blocks of one another). The Waterfront at now has a nice selection of restaurants plus excellent easy access to downtown via the Silver Line. For parking you would have the option of just ditching your car in the Cruiseport garage and walking back to the hotel. You would pay one night at the regular rate and then $16/day for the duration of your cruise.

I actually have spoke to the people at the gargae and they willhonor the first day at the $16.00 per day cruise rate. the only issue is that when you get back to the garage you have to walk into the office because your ticket will not be programmed correctly.

Well that's a good deal. Folks have mentioned that if you are parked on a lower floor, it can help to back your car in. If the line of cars checking out backs up the garage ramps, it can often be difficult to back out into the line of waiting cars.

I actually have spoke to the people at the gargae and they willhonor the first day at the $16.00 per day cruise rate. the only issue is that when you get back to the garage you have to walk into the office because your ticket will not be programmed correctly.

We're just going to park at the hotel. It's only 1 night.

Well that's a good deal. Folks have mentioned that if you are parked on a lower floor, it can help to back your car in. If the line of cars checking out backs up the garage ramps, it can often be difficult to back out into the line of waiting cars.

The guys from the garage told me to park on the fifth floor. I will try to back in, thank you as always for your helpful tips. I used your tips last time I sailed from Boston as well, but that time I drove up the morning of the cruise.... I got up to Boston before 9:00 a.m. and had breakafast, but this time I am sailing on the Friday before the Labor Day weekend and I didn't want to chance it......

We're just going to park at the hotel. It's only 1 night.

Yeah the only reason I'm doing it is that the parking is $45.00...... the hotel is .4 miles and I could used the exercise after a three hour drive. I am dropping all the bags and my daughter and mother at the hotel.......and in the morning we will cab it over to the terminal. For thirty bucks I'll walk a few blocks.....heck I walk at home for free:)

• 1 year later...

Hi, relative newb here as we have only been on 1 cruise prior five years ago.

Fast forward to present - My family of four will be cruising out of Boston on Friday, Aug 1, 2014 and will be driving up from NJ area to the cruiseport. We are considering making the trip up on Friday morning (~4 hour drive) but am not sure if we will have major traffic concerns to contend with? We have the flexibility to leave very early. if necessary. to avoid this so any opinions on best approach would be appreciated. Our plan to this point is to park directly at the pier for the seven day cruise but again any suggestions would be welcomed.

On the cruise return to the Boston cruiseport we are considering economically extending the trip from Friday to Saturday (possible Sunday) as we have never visited Boston before (other than a quick overnight business trip or two). So in looking to plan this aspect of the trip we are not sure where we should look to book a hotel and if to save some money we should look to the outskirt areas of the city at a lower rate and take the "T" or bite the bullet and book a hotel directly in the city?

Any input on any of this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

- Dmatrix

Edited by Dmatrix

What area of NJ are you leaving from? A nearby town name would help.

My suggestion would be to plan to drive up the night before and book a hotel for 4 on Hotwire in the Newton/Waltham area or Framingham/Natick area. There are two 3* + hotels out there right now for $110-$115 tax included and a 85% approval rating. This will put you about a half hour from the port, which should be an easy drive in the morning after 9:30 am.

Your primary objective should be to get east of NYC on Thur night. If you don't want to come all the way, there are many hotel options in central CT.

To get to Boston you want to cross at the GW Bridge, take the Henry Hudson Parkway to the Cross County Parkway to the Hutchinson River Parkway. This road becomes the Merritt Parkway and then the Wilbur Cross Parkway in CT. You take I91 north and then I84 east to the Mass Pike (I90), which is a straight shot into the cruise terminal.

What is your hotel budget for a post cruise stay?

Thanks Carol for your valuable response. We will be coming from Central Jersey (Perth Amboy area). As for Boston hotel budget, we are flexible although obviously less is more :)! Please advise further. Thanks once again in advance for your recommendations.

- Dmatrix

How old are your children?

I used to drive a lot between Jamesburg/Hightstown to NW of Boston. A good trip was 4.5 hours with maybe one stop, so I'd say with kids and stops it could take you 5.5-6.5 hours to get to Boston, particularly if you try to get across the GW bridge during rush hour. IMO during the week you can't leave early enough to avoid the NYC rush hour, so I'd really consider going at least part way the previous night.

For post cruise our favorite 4* hotel in the Waterfront area is on Hotwire for $210 tax included for 2 nights and about $234 tax included for one night. This is the best deal out there and is highly likely to be the Westin Waterfront. If not it will be the Seaport, the Renaissance or Residence Inn, all 4* hotels close to the pier and with closeby T access. This would allow you to leave your car in the port parking (paying the increased rate for a day or two), but you could have a second set of luggage with fresh clothes that you could easily swap out and drop at the hotel before taking off for a day or two in Boston. You can definitely get a cheaper hotel outside of town, but you will spend time and money on parking and transit fares.

Thanks again, Carol. My children are 15 and 19. I booked the hotel via Hotwire for the night before as you suggested. Definitely reduces the stress level. As for Boston itself, I will also take your suggestions for a hotel near the Waterfront with leaving the car in the port parking for another day or two. I truly appreciate your advice and anything else you may wish to recommend.

-Dmatrix

Super. The Westin Waltham does charge for parking as does the Westin Waterfront of course.

Just post back if you have any questions. You can take the Silver Line from the World Trade Center Station one block from the Westin to South Station and transfer to the Red Line. From the Red Line you have access to the Orange Line at Downtown Crossing, and the Green Line at Park Street. The Government Center Station is currently closed for reconstruction.