Decision..Thoughts Please

Hi,

We are booked on Pacific Pearl for Tassie cruise next March, but Sea Princess has the same cruise going in Dec 2011, for about same cost, could in fact be $100 or so cheaper, other than we get to cruise sooner and have done 2 cruises with P&O ( no complaints, but feel like a change), what are your thoughts. Comparison on ships, and time of the year to cruise south?

Thanks Val

Hi Ive only been with P & O but I've got friends that travel with lots of different lines and they swear by Princess and Royal Caribeen over P & O. I travel P & O cause I like the price range and basically I dont know any better. :D:o

Liz

Hi - having been on P&O and Princess (Sun, Dawn - same as Sea, Diamond and Sapphire) I can answer your question - it's like staying at a 3 star and a 5 star hotel, however in this instance it looks like you won't be paying 5 star price.

Cruising concept is the same, but quality is much higher on Princess - for what it's worth - I'd go for the Sea Princess. Enjoy whichever way you go.

The product itself is pretty much the same, you just get some nice extras on Princess like chocs on pillow and use of stuff like pizzeria, 24h room service, 24h buffet included in fare.

Princess is a lot more formal then P&O, people dress up more and the activities and entertainment aren't as full on, this suits some people better but :)

Have done Sun+ Dawn Princess which are sister ships and have toured the Pearl, not cruised on her yet. The Princess is a touch bigger and layout wise they both have ups and downs. The Pearl is limited by a smaller atrium, stairwells etc due to older design of the actualy ship itself (can't be changed) but then as far as actual public spaces go is actually a lot nicer at the same time.

Might sound confusing but what I mean is they have really made the best out of the spaces at hand.

Either way P&O or Princess your going to love some things a lot more on each ship and think they did some things not as well. P&O do some things better, Princess do other things better.

Your personality is probably the best indicator-

laid back, fun, lively- P&O

classy, older age, formal, prefer to relax as opposed to always on the go - Princess

If putting on a jacket/tie for dinner once or twice is a deal breaker then stick with P&O. If your husband is willing to bite the bullet and get frocked up, even for a couple of nights, then you might find the upmarket Princess experience worthwhile, especially if you are paying more or less the same price. Think outside the box ;)

Your personality is probably the best indicator-

laid back, fun, lively- P&O

classy, older age, formal, prefer to relax as opposed to always on the go - Princess

Agree, Princess is very nice, classy with the quartet in the atrium - very nice. I personally liked it, but some of the passengers dont seem like the P&O crowd. A lot older - depends on the cruise though.

P&O = not 'classy', but great, great fun. Great for the kids - kids love it very relaxed. If its the same price with only $100 go for Princess!

We have meet some great people on both P&O and Princess. P&O feel like more of a holiday for me with kids around and more families etc.

Well I say your in a bit of a tight spot. The princess may be a better ship but I live in Tassie and I highly suggest travelling down here in March than December!!! Our weather is sooooo unpredictable in December, but March is always nice. If your not too fussed on what ship you travel on, then go with the best time of year :)

Tee

We have been on both Princess and P&O... As said above P&O is more casual, the atmosphere on P&O so different to Princess, P&O now do the choc on pillow with turndown. P&O shows so much better than Princess.. P&O heaps more fun activities with younger (or younger minded) passengers, you will find older ages on Princess..an example of diff: when we were on Princess (NYE cruise) at about 6-30 - 7pm on top deck the deck chairs etc.. all packed up and bars shut, lights out.. P&O (NYE cruise) top bars (coffee shops) stay open till 1am whether it is busy or not, music piping thru speakers etc...this also occured on our Easter cruise on Pacific Pearl, so if the weather is fine it is great to sit up on top deck chatting, having drinks, coffee etc.. instead of inside. In saying that Princess are nicer looking ships with more free things, like Pizza's and top grill (top grill was free on Pearl until 10pm) Princess also have the drinks and coffee cards which are good value as well.. Fiona

Archived