Drinking the Water in Barcelona?

ZigNKat

People from Mexico get sick in the states because difference.
People don't get sick from water that is "different." People get sick from disease-causing pathogens in water.

In the US, municipal tap water is adequately treated to kill/remove such pathogens. Sadly, this is not always the case in Mexico.

Nobody from Mexico should fear getting sick from drinking tap water in the US. Or Spain for that matter.

Unless you have reason to believe that the bottled water is safer than tap water, you are throwing away money (however small) wasting resources and creating unnecessary plastic.

Given two choices - both equally safe and tasty - one of which is free... one of which costs money and puts stress on the environment... I'll take the free one.

Actually I read a publication in a scientific journal about 2 years ago that compared the quality (including bacteria) in bottled water against tap water in various places in various EU countries. Conclusion: Tap water was of better quality in most cases. I was surprised! Tap water in Europe is of excellent quality. I am going to check if I can find the journal again.

My husband is Spanish so we go there frequently and for long periods of time. I noticed that even many Spaniards buy bottled water, because it just tastes better ;)

Edited by eveline44

• 2 years later...

We were in Barcelona for six days and drank the water everyway with no problems. But then we have also drunk water in many other parts of Spain, Egypt, Morocco, Mexico, Greece, Germany, Czech Republic, China, Viet nam, etc etc without problems. We travel 3 months a year, one month overseas, and have not encountered a problem since 1972 in Mexico City.