Packing lists???

All these packing lists on every forum. The little plastic tub for in the shower, and the shoe holder than hangs from the back of the door. WHO NEEDS IT?? All I keep thinking about is which lenses and how many spare batteries! :) So here goes:

1. 2 cameras - gotta be ready in case 1 has a problem, and lenses

2. Enough batteries to take each through a full day of shooting and all the chargers

3. Way more memory cards than I'd use in a full day of shooting

4. CD writer for CF cards (great suggestion from this forum) and CDs

5. Filters (love that polarizer)

6. External flash

7. Lens cleaning kit

8. Lightweight tripod (http://www.popphoto.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=424)

9. Lens hoods

10. Manuals (still pretty new to this particular flash)

Missing anything you usually take? Anything non-photographic is incidental, right?

1. Shower cap from hotel shower (camera raincoat...it's kinda rainy and cameras don't water check well)

2. 14" Lite disc--collapses to 1/2"X3" circle.

3. Laptop and blank cd's (download and burn 2 cd's for double redundancy)

4. 12mm ext tube for macro shots

5. Electronic cable release

6. Twice as much memory card space as I think I'll need

7. One of the bulb type snot removers (from when my kids were babies..well sanitized I might add) for blowing dust off the sensor if necessary and for getting the big chunks off lenses.

I carry 4 lenses:

20-35mm, 28-205mm, 100-400mm IS, and 100mm macro

Oh yeah, one big-a** backpack to hold all this stuff.

** I'd love to take a cd burner instead of the laptop but since I won't have much in the way of cell phone reception I need the laptop for e-mail communication with kids, dog sitters, etc.

Yeah, it's a buncha stuff but I came home from a trip to Yellowstone once saying "I wish i'd had...." and vowed to never do that again. Besides, Alaska isn't somewhere I can go back the next weekend or the next month if I don't get the shot.

Travel safely and show us some magnificent images when you get back.

I take 4 full sets of rechargeable batteries and 2 chargers. I have 2 sets charging during the day and change them out at night. Have NEVER been caught with a "dead" battery. I also travel with several cameras. We take 2 water cameras, 2 disposible cameras (cause he sure isn't taking one of mine when he goes parasailing), 2 digital cameras, and my favorite my SLR. Have not broken down and bought the digital SLR yet. I take some many memory cards I could be a store and about 45-50 rolls of 35mm film. Yes, they still make it. And yes I use just about all of them.

• 1 month later...

Oh my goodness KanasScrapper! they told me I took alot of film, I don't hold a candle to you. I only took 15 rolls and two memory cards on our last cruise.

I will have to say that about middle of the week I was really thinking about the shots that I was shooting since I was afraid that I would run out of film.

From your name KanasScrapper should I assume that you are a fellow Scrapbooker?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello KanasScrapper,

Wow 4 Graduation albums! that is alot. Takes me forever to do just one, or add pages to the ones that I already have.

Talking camera's I did get a digital SLR-Cannon Digital Rebel, I think that I will love this camera when I finally figure out how to use it. I am going to sign up for a class at a camera shop in Indianapolis soon.I only have like 4 dates to choose from before we cruise in Oct so I need to make that call. Time sure does go by quickly. I am still collecting FlashCards to take on the cruise.

I took some pictures of one of the girls that work for me in her graduation cap and gown and they did turn out really well, I took them outside, she had a local cvs drugstore refuse to copy them at first coz they thought that they were professional photos, that were protected by copyright laws. That really made me feel good since I really do not know what I am doing with the camera yet. I have read but I just need some hands on with an instructer I think. I have purchased one lens but still want to get a flash.( and of course more lens) I just purchased a new printer for my scrapbook room tonight guess I should have bought a flash instead. Oh well in time.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

We just got back from the May 29th sailing to Alaska on the NCL Sun. The photo opportunities were all we hoped for. He took over 1200 photos and I shot almost 6 hours of video.

Mike is the "photographer" in our family, but lucky for me the camera makes it easy. He has a Canon 20D DSLR and can do great things with it. But while he was down in the Internet cafe sending our daily email we passed a wonderful lighthouse with the sunset in the background. I had never taken a picture with his new camera, but grabbed it and stepped out on the balcony.

Let's just say the camera can make a professional out of almost anyone. The photos came out wonderful! The best way to learn is to use it.

We also packed 3 cameras, digital video camera, 3-1 gig flash cards, the laptop with CD burner, and 25 blank CDs. Oh, and dual batteries and chargers for everything. We had one pilots case carry on with all the electronics and his camera backpack. We could have taken less clothes, but we were glad to have all the "gear" with us.

The web site is still being added to as we speak, but it will give you an idea of what you will see. http://www.classyshots.com/alaska/index.html

Enjoy your sailing.

Jonna

I'm looking for some help with my lens selection for a Western Caribbean cruise this July. I really want to take everything (this covers from 16mm to 300mm with eleven lenses) yet I don't think I'll be able to bring all this equipment onboard as "carry-on" baggage. Additionally, I plan on bringing a laptop, tripod, chargers, and a couple of flashes. I really do not want to check the camera equipment or the laptop. What have you done on your cruises and what are your recommendations?

On our first cruise I took it all. I bought a carry on with wheels. Then I realized I didn't even use half of it. I ended up using my 28-200 the most. The 300 you really need a tri pod. And carrying around all the stuff got heavy and a pain. I wouldn't take a lot into port with you. Our friends took several lenes with them as well. But some how didn't come back with all of them. You want to enjoy your vacation and not have to worry about & carry everything.

Wendy,

Thanks for the quick response. I agree, the thought of lugging around all that equipment does not sound like fun. I think I'll have to pare down what I take. I do want the capability to store and back-up all my files so the laptop and Epson P-2000 will be going. I may just limit my lenses to some wide angles and low light lenses and then include the 70-200IS to cover everything else. I am used to lugging around several lenses and a heavy D-SLR body and that's what makes it so tough to leave anything behind!

I will enjoy the cruise either way....:)

I took my Lowepro backpack which I use as a camera case with my 20D body and 3 lenses in it. They were my 18-55 zoom, 28-135 IS zoom (equal to a 42-200 on my 20D) and my 70-300 zoom (equal to a 105-450). I ended up using the IS about 80% of the time because I was shooting from a chopper or moving boat most of the time. I use the 18-55 for shots in port and the long zoom very seldom.

I did carry one other lens, my spare 10D body, my laptop, blank cd's and other assorted stuff in another carry on along with my first days change of clothes and shaving kit.

During the day when I'm shooting I wear a bird hunters vest ($25.00 at your local sporting goods store) to carry everthing. They have lots of pockets for cf cards, batteries, lenses and such. It saves carrying a bag around with you and some of the places I went no carry-ons were allowed like the chopper flight.

Archived