Offer in the mail

Diggerdon

In the mailbox today was a voucher that was good for a complimentary 8 day 7 night cruise for 2 adults on Carnival. We have been on a cruise with Carnival in the the past and we plan on doing another, but this kind of smells to me. Has anyone else been exposed to this scam?

How do you know it is a scam? I suspect that it is a very legitimate marketing tool, that will involve you having to either sit through a number of presentations, or purchase something else.

If you feel that it is truely a scam by all means turn it over to federal Postal authorities because it is considered mail fraud.

Scams happen but this is not one, it just may not be what it appears on the cover.

I just spoke with a rep from the company that sent out the "free cruise" and she said to qualify for the free cruise you needed to be a RCI timeshare member. We are not RCI timeshare members so we couldn't get the cruise even if we went to the timeshare presentation. I asked the rep why we received this offer in the mail, was it just for marketing purposes and she said yes.

Guess I have to pay for my next cruise, dang it!

I just got a postcard today and called about it. They rep said that it was from a travel agency and part of their marketing campaign. We just have to visit the travel agency, listen to their spiel for about an hour and we'll get a free cruise.

Seems fishy, but I made an appointment for Sunday. We'll see.

abitaturbodog

We bit on one of those offers a few years back. When it came time to take the cruise we could never choose a "suitable" time. Nothing was ever available. It was way too frustrating so we finally said screw it! Got one of those cards in the mail the other day and it's been filed in the round file cabinet. Good luck to you--just gotta figure what your time is worth.

My wife and I sat though a timeshare marketing thing and they had promised a 2 for 1 cruise. It turned out to be perfectly legitimate (had to book through a particular agency) but we were able to book the a 6 day Liberty (in 2007 - Freedom does the same cruise now) for the two of us for the price of the non discounted fare. It was not 2 for 1 of the lowest fare, but still a good deal. It was also our first cruise, and got me hooked!

Archived