How likely is it to miss Grand Turk?

kaf7878

I really want to book with Blue Water Divers for a snorkeling excursion but there is no refund if we miss the port. Is this port one that is missed often due to wind or other factors?

Thanks!

We have had two cruises scheduled for GT and last one missed due to high winds.

I would not book anything with a company that keeps your money if the ship misses port.

Generally we pay day of tour or if company insists on prepay they will refund your money if the ship does not get into port.

I really want to book with Blue Water Divers for a snorkeling excursion but there is no refund if we miss the port. Is this port one that is missed often due to wind or other factors?

Thanks!

I've been to GT 3x in last 18 months (Carnival, Princess & HAL). Th GT pier is built directly into the open ocean - it's not in a sheltered bay - so the probability of high winds preventing a safe docking is going to be higher than in other ports.

If you're interested in snorkeling, the ship has shore excursions which are good. If you book through the ship you won't run the risk of losing your money should the ship miss the port. I've actually done the ship's Gibbs Cay Stingray/Snorkel excursion 2x, although the first time I did it the weather took a turn for the worst during the excursion, and the snorkeling portion was disappointing due to the water being churned up by the winds from the oncoming rain.

In any case, I'd choose a fully refundable excursion if the ship misses the port.

Thanks for the replies. I am really on the fence about this:( I was very much looking forward to two different private excursions: Blue Water Divers in GT and segways in San Juan (not to mention all the research I did to find the excursions). Apparently, neither offers refunds if the ship misses the port or has to switch days. Kinda scary when your talking hundreds of dollars for each one (family of 4).

Any more thoughts/suggestions??

I would not book an excursion that is non-refundable.

We have missed Grand Turk twice.

The problem is that this small port does not have a tug to assist the ship in docking in case of high winds.

The wind does not have to be really bad to cause issues. The last time we could not dock was beautiful weather.....just to windy.

Thanks for the replies. I am really on the fence about this:( I was very much looking forward to two different private excursions: Blue Water Divers in GT and segways in San Juan (not to mention all the research I did to find the excursions). Apparently, neither offers refunds if the ship misses the port or has to switch days. Kinda scary when your talking hundreds of dollars for each one (family of 4).

I would tell them you will pay the day of the excursion and give them the ship info and will not prepay. If acceptable to them great if not find anouther tour guide.

Why should you take the risk of losing your money?

I am with others - do not book with a company that will not refund money if port missed. We have missed all sorts of ports for some reason or another - sometimes a medical emergency reroutes them and they can't make a certain port so it is not always weather related. I know Carnival excursion are sometimes 25% more than private ones but you know your money will be refunded if port is cancelled or even late and you miss the excursion. Sometimes it just comes down to the luck of the draw.

We have been extremely fortunate in that we have never missed a port. But a tour operator that will not refund - you should steer clear of. There are alot of tours out there that do not require prepayment or will refund your prepayment if ship does not make it to the port. With hurrican season upon us, I would check something else out. If you are planning on El Morro and San Cristobel in San Juan - it is very walkable.

Yes, find something else to do!!! A company that decides it's going to charge you for a service when you can't partake of that service due to no fault of your own is not a company you should be doing business with! If you want to take the chance and roll the dice, go ahead and book with them.....just don't holler when the dice come up snake-eyes!

Archived