cab or rental car from port-Marigot-Le Galion-port

My family of 4 (kids 5 & 7) is cruising on Oasis of the Seas in two weeks. On St. Martin, we'd like to explore Marigot in the morning (shopping, climb up to Fort St. Louis), then head over to Le Galion beach in the afternoon. We are debating whether to take cabs or rent our own car. I've read through many threads, and am still trying to decide. I like the idea of having our own transportation for ultimate flexibility, but, it would also just be nice to sit back and enjoy the ride and not have to deal with parking in Marigot.

Ideally we'd just have a cab stay with us all day. Is it possible to negotiate a day rate with a cab or car service at the pier? Any ideas for how much this would cost? We have rented cars in quite a few countries around the world and always find city parking to be the most stressful aspect. Is parking in Marigot really that difficult?

My family of 4 (kids 5 & 7) is cruising on Oasis of the Seas in two weeks. On St. Martin, we'd like to explore Marigot in the morning (shopping, climb up to Fort St. Louis), then head over to Le Galion beach in the afternoon. We are debating whether to take cabs or rent our own car. I've read through many threads, and am still trying to decide. I like the idea of having our own transportation for ultimate flexibility, but, it would also just be nice to sit back and enjoy the ride and not have to deal with parking in Marigot.

Ideally we'd just have a cab stay with us all day. Is it possible to negotiate a day rate with a cab or car service at the pier? Any ideas for how much this would cost? We have rented cars in quite a few countries around the world and always find city parking to be the most stressful aspect. Is parking in Marigot really that difficult?

Saturdays and Wednesdays are market days in Marigot so on those mornings things get started early. Considering that you are going in July when it is less busy on the island and you plan on visiting Marigot relatively early in the morning I think you will be just fine. You may want to consider parking in the lot closest to the last set of steps up to the fort since you will have young children with you. I am pretty lousy with directions but if you turn by the bike store it will lead you right to a parking lot and from there it is a two minute walk to the steps and then about a 5 minute climb up to the fort. After visiting the fort I would then drive down to the waterfront lot and park in there for the rest of your morning in town. I would think that you could easily negotiate a price for the day with a taxi driver. In July they are definitely not as busy as say March so I am sure that they would appreciate the business.

Archived