Review on our Alaska Cruise aboard the Radiance

WoW, Jen a really great review. Loved it esspecially since we are boarding this trip next week. Got me all pumped up...

Do you know if Bowzer was only there for your week or is he signed for a number of weeks?

Ted

He is there for a while.....I think he was talking about the trans pacific cruise so my thought (memory) is that he is on through there, but could be wrong.....

Have a great trip.....

We are also going to Homer for 3 days in a B&B at the end of our cruise/tour. We talked about doing a bear tour such as you did and my husband said "no way in ____ would he be that close to a grizzly without protection! Can't wait to see your pics and hear about your tour. Have enjoyed every word and pic so far!

Shutterbur285- we have an aft balcony too, 1104, how were the views back there? Seriously, did the ship not do 360 turns at Hubbard glacier? I thought they always did that?? Did you stay on your balcony for the Hubbard glacier part or go up on deck?

ellasab, we are on the July 8 sailing and have cruise/tour # 17, which one are you on?

Jen this is the best review I have ever read! I wait for your posts and check a couple times a day.... more entertaining the the results show of The Voice!:p Thanks Ted about asking about Bowser I was gonna ask the same thing. We are so lucky to have this review right before we sail.... I feel we are getting a real guide to make the most out of our trip. I am taking notes!;)

Shutterbur285- we have an aft balcony too, 1104, how were the views back there? Seriously, did the ship not do 360 turns at Hubbard glacier? I thought they always did that?? Did you stay on your balcony for the Hubbard glacier part or go up on deck?

I have #1104 too!!! PLEASE make sure you do a review when you get back so I know what to expect from that cabin. :D

I Thought the views were awesome with having so little wind back there we spent tons of time on the balcony. could see both sides when we were on the inside passage. I think you will like it I will do my reiview soon i promise, just don't expect it to be nearly as witty as my friend jens was. It is true and that they did not do a full 360 can't tell you why i had also heard that they always do that. we were up on deck going into the glacier and as soon as they started to turn we ran back to our room and i have to say that was better open view and no heads to look over ( I'm not the tallest girl on the block :))

we were up on deck going into the glacier and as soon as they started to turn we ran back to our room and i have to say that was better open view and no heads to look over ( I'm not the tallest girl on the block :))

About what time does the ship get to the glacier? I was just wondering if I have time to go to the MDR for breakfast or if I should just order room service :)

We were on the southbound trip following this one. Here are a few answers.

We ate breakfast in the MDR the morning of departure. It worked out well. Ate, returned to room to collect carryons and off the ship.

Bowser was on our cruise also.

We went to Homer prior to our cruise. Had a great time. We went halibut fishing. Our share of 100 lbs of halibut arrived this past Tues. Homer is a great place. I also recommend it.

We did a 5 day cruisetour thru RCCL prior to our cruise. Enjoyed that too. We stayed in Vancouver for 2 days after our cruise.

It was cool while we were in Alaska. Just layer and you will be fine. I wore a tshirt, fleece and a raincoat and was fine. We did have some rain but we were prepared for it. The bugs weren't too bad. Once again went prepared and didn't have to use the off.

Thanks for the wonderful review Jen. I am reliving our cruise. 1 week ago today, we were still on the Radiance.:)

Rita's was ok. Good for a change but didn't knock my socks off. Chops was still good. Didn't do any others. The pub was nice. I like the decor but we were there in the afternoon and we were the only ones there.

We were in a suite so we did use the new suite lounge. It was nice. They also have an outdoor seating area but it was either too cold or rainy to use.

We did have a few minor issues but not enough to ruin what was a wonderful cruise.

Sorry to hijack thread. Now back to the wonderful review. Can't wait to hear about the bears. Maybe next time for us. We have already decided that we will return to Homer.

Maria

We arrived at the glacier after lunch. We ate in the MDR. My husband had to leave early to take pictures. The outer decks were already crowded. We were on the heli pad.

BTW, they sell RCCL insulated mugs on deck with hot chocolate and your choice of spirits;)

Really enjoying reading your review and seeing the pics.

We were lucky enough to do this cruise in June 2004 - and we only had ONE day of rainy weather. The sun was shining ALL the time! And Mendenhall - OMG how much it has changed. Such a shame :( But the little towns, the Red Dog Saloon -- all look SO familiar. The only excursion we did was a river rapids ride, and it was exciting, challenging, memorable. We also saw bears off in the distance when the whole chain of rubber rafts had to stop to let a young boy "pee." Great memories!

2062452003_2011-02-14085141-0500-436.jpg.917a22d8129420237fbc1f57ad23e8bf.jpg

They did not do the full turn at the glacier for us either. This was our 4th Alaskan cruise and they have everyother time. I kept waiting for him to turn the other direction but instead we left.:confused:

Yeah, now that is bothering me.... I was always under the impression they would 360 the boat. Do you know what side got the best view, and which one did not?

Guess I need to speak to cappy before we get there and set him straight....lol:D

Ted

We are also going to Homer for 3 days in a B&B at the end of our cruise/tour. We talked about doing a bear tour such as you did and my husband said "no way in ____ would he be that close to a grizzly without protection! Can't wait to see your pics and hear about your tour. Have enjoyed every word and pic so far!

ellasab, we are on the July 8 sailing and have cruise/tour # 17, which one are you on?

I think that the ships do a 180 degree turn in order to head back out. If they did a 360 degree turn they would be back facing in the same direction as they entered the bay and would still need to do a 180 in order to head back out. A 270 degree turn would allow both sides of the ship a full view of the glacier. :)

I think that the ships do a 180 degree turn in order to head back out. If they did a 360 degree turn they would be back facing in the same direction as they entered the bay and would still need to do a 180 in order to head back out. A 270 degree turn would allow both sides of the ship a full view of the glacier. :)

Bill (or Rita), when we were on the Radiance, in AK, in 2005, the Captain turned the ship 360* all day long (spinning it). It was great because, no matter where you were, you'd see that glacier several times.

I hope our Captain does the spin, as well, next year.

For us the glacier (Hubbard) was Definitely before lunch....I would say about 8-10 for approach, siting and retreat....on our cruise was the starboard side (side with balconies on the hump...right)

Bill (or Rita), when we were on the Radiance, in AK, in 2005, the Captain turned the ship 360* all day long (spinning it). It was great because, no matter where you were, you'd see that glacier several times.

I hope our Captain does the spin, as well, next year.

Thanks for the info. When we were on board we got to within 400 meters of the glacier but he did a slow rotation, not a series of spins, and after spending a good amount of time, he headed off to our next destination. I was up on the bow for a good part of the time and saw some spectacular calving.

I know this is a silly question but since it seems like the boat does not do a slow rotation will the glacier be on the left side for a south bound trip? I know it is good to have a left side cabin for the south bound trip because you can see land a little more.

I do remember that on our last cruise we did do a slow rotation so that each side had a view. Could it be because the ships are now getting closer?

Also was there ever a time when you needed shorts or capris?

Thanks for all the good information.

Mmmmm, love the BVIs... We spent a week in heaven on Virgin Gorda (and as for the USVI, my three weeks on St. John were unforgettable!). A BVI charter would be a dream. :) (sorry RCI).

Did 2 Windjammers back in the day-BVI & the Grenadines-so laid back & such fun! Very different from the conventional ship experience, but we loved it!

Love this review-we did a southbound cruisetour last year on the Radience & this really brings it all back-I swear you have some of my pics! Love your shots-may I ask what you were shooting with?

Kudos-keep it coming, and thanks!

Did 2 Windjammers back in the day-BVI & the Grenadines-so laid back & such fun! Very different from the conventional ship experience, but we loved it!

Love this review-we did a southbound cruisetour last year on the Radience & this really brings it all back-I swear you have some of my pics! Love your shots-may I ask what you were shooting with?

Kudos-keep it coming, and thanks!

We have several cameras that we like for different things

Our SLR is a canon Eos Rebel

we have a canon point and shoot power shot SD850 IS. It is an older one but we love it so much that when someone dropped it in Yosemite last month (couldn't be me) we bought another one instead of a newer brand.

We also have a sony DSC HX5 This is the panaramic one that Taylor Swift advertised. We used it for video a lot (it is HD)

I think we like the small canon so much because it has a

vivid" setting and it takes purty pics....what it doesn't do is a good digital zoom......found that out with the bears....dang!

I know this is a silly question but since it seems like the boat does not do a slow rotation will the glacier be on the left side for a south bound trip? I know it is good to have a left side cabin for the south bound trip because you can see land a little more.

I do remember that on our last cruise we did do a slow rotation so that each side had a view. Could it be because the ships are now getting closer?

I do think they are getting closer now based on what they indicated to us.....something they did in dry dock but I really need medication for my ADD so I don't know what they said....sorry.

I don't know for a southbound trip......good question. I wonder if he decides as he goes or if he always goes the same way....

Has anyone gone and turned right?

Also was there ever a time when you needed shorts or capris? DId you not read my comments about the "crazy people"? They would answer this question differently than I. I did wear capris on occasion. That changes your shoe choice (i would hope) so it also makes you colder but it really was quite comfortable IN the ship so you really can wear whatever you want. Like I said, and you can tell by looking at all the people in the background (and foreground) in my photos. Dress how you will be comfortable. There were people in shorts, sweats, tons in jeans, dressed up, dressed down, anyway you can think. This was by far the most casual cruise I have ever been on. Like I said, I wore my tennis shoes more on this cruise than I have the enter year (maybe decade) outside of the gym.

Thanks for all the good information.

You have to head straight into the bay and directly toward the Glacier so I wouldn't think the southbound vs northbound would matter unless just to be fair he alternates.....

Edited by jennat

I will do the bear page in the morning.....so sorry. I got all the pics uploaded to photobucket tonight and I am soooooo tired! Tomorrow, no more excuses!

To tied you over meet the cast:

IMG_3575.jpg

IMG_2296.jpg

IMG_3292.jpg

IMG_3784.jpg

IMG_3465.jpg

Thank u so much for this. We r going in September and I'm even more excited after enjoying ur review...normally I'm just a lurked on here, but u made me finally pop my posting cherry...lol. Thanks again