Review on our Alaska Cruise aboard the Radiance

Hi friend! Thanks for the compliment....I wouldn't be hanging with you if you weren't the creme de la creme, so I'm sure your review will be simply "mavalous"

Friend, did you notice how very few people tipped on this cruise. Of course you did, cuz your cool! ;):D I think people felt like they paid so much for the excursion but I can't imagine not tipping people like Barry who talked the entire time or Bryan who did everything he could to find us a bear, or our captain on the whale watching who found us a pod of Orca. I know for a fact, on that one, that no one but us tipped. I did some research on this before we left because I had several excursions that were really pricey and wanted to know how much to tip as 20% would be in the $250 range in some cases......EVERYTHING I read said $5-$20. So A) I was surprised at this and B) a little relieved, I have to say. I do think tipping is a personal decision and I can't stand what it has become but I was really surprised how many AMERICANS didn't offer anything. They do expect tips too, because they all mention it by slipping it into conversation, some more subtly than others.

Climbing off my box now.....

micki84, e-mail the photo to me mjcrouch@4dv.net and I will post it

It is an awesome photo.

The way I get them up here is to use photo bucket. You simply upload and then it gives you a code to use and you just put the IMG code into your post.

Hope this helps. Thanks for sharing the photo!

Hi friend! Thanks for the compliment....I wouldn't be hanging with you if you weren't the creme de la creme, so I'm sure your review will be simply "mavalous"

Friend, did you notice how very few people tipped on this cruise. Of course you did, cuz your cool! ;):D I think people felt like they paid so much for the excursion but I can't imagine not tipping people like Barry who talked the entire time or Bryan who did everything he could to find us a bear, or our captain on the whale watching who found us a pod of Orca. I know for a fact, on that one, that no one but us tipped. I did some research on this before we left because I had several excursions that were really pricey and wanted to know how much to tip as 20% would be in the $250 range in some cases......EVERYTHING I read said $5-$20. So A) I was surprised at this and B) a little relieved, I have to say. I do think tipping is a personal decision and I can't stand what it has become but I was really surprised how many AMERICANS didn't offer anything. They do expect tips too, because they all mention it by slipping it into conversation, some more subtly than others.

Climbing off my box now.....

I did noticed and you are correct there seem to be a decided lack of tipping. This is how i tipped I tipped one of the hop on hop off drivers, in vancouver (there were two) the one that did commentary on the bus around the city and dropped us off at stanley park, I tipped. the one that drove us around the park I did not she said nothing lol except to announce the stops and answer a question when asked. otherwise i tipped all the people on our excursions. I don"t really understand either. In most cases these people are not owners of the business, so they are not making a profit over and above their pay. ok...... now i'm preaching to the choir lol

You may as well go ahead and book. I will definitely convince her. Give me a challenge would you. You can tell her, I had no interest in going on an Alaska cruise until I was old. I am a warm weather girl. Well, honey, this ain't your momma's cruise we took. Plenty of excitement and adventure.

Printing this out and taking it to my wife. If she can't lay out in the sun or on a beach, she doesn't want to go. I want to do at least one Alaskan Cruise and at least one Radiance ship, so that's two birds with one stone!

Printing this out and taking it to my wife. If she can't lay out in the sun or on a beach, she doesn't want to go. I want to do at least one Alaskan Cruise and at least one Radiance ship, so that's two birds with one stone!

Well then you tell her she is going to have to suck it up and take one for the team !!:D

Well then you tell her she is going to have to suck it up and take one for the team !!:D

That might be the angle, this cruise occurred during my birthday so maybe on my next big birthday it could me my choice.

Ok, the picture of the empty pool and you on the balcony with a blanket has lost my wife. I wonder if August would be better :cool:

does she like wildlife? breathtaking scenery? We spent a ton of time on our balcony it was an aft balcony very little wind, pretty comfortable out there, did not need a blanket. We were on the same cruise as Jen

I just double checked the cruise compass....for some reason on ours it was Skagway, not Hubbard....maybe they change?

I think the difference is the fact that Jun10 was Northbound and June 17 was Southbound, and they would have different days...

Ted

Wow! You guys had a party without me....answered all the questions.....

Yes, that is the Samba Grill

Tell your wife if she needs to be convinced to call me....not kidding. E-mail me (see above) and I will give you my number. I really wasn't interested in Alaska. After I started researching it, I got really excited for it. It was probably our favorite trip of all time. That being said, if I didn't have a "warm" vacation planned, then I don't know if (before I knew any better) I would have had the (guts?) to commit to only a "cold" vacation. Compromise with her and if she will do this then maybe you can do a cheapie, shorter cruise (the carnival Liberty is always cheap (we paid $289 pp for 6 nights) No it's not RCL but hey, it's a cruise.

Also, I do think that is the only time I had the blanket on. Shutterbug is right, there is no wind on the balconies. The temp was probably in the high 50s to 60s and June is not the warmest month of the summer. Alaska is hit or miss but you can always hedge your bets. Several days, including Skagway, it was so hot you had to take off your outer layers. The only time I was cold was when I was in a breeze. I jest about the cold......I think because it was so nice some so much of the time that you would dress for that and then get cold and then hot and cold.......wait, maybe this is menopause :O CRAP!

Corona is right.....I think formal night is night 2 and 6 no matter what the ports that day.

Bill, wait until I post it all before giving it to her......the bad weather days are already past.

I am serious about the phone call if she has any questions. I have this love of travel combined with an annoying extroverted personality.....

also, have her ask anyone who has been to alaska and other cruises, what their favorite cruise is......everyone I have ever talk with said Alaska.

If all else fails, seriously we saw everything we witnessed on the cruise (in general terms) in the land portion of our trip. My friend is going up and doing what we did for 5 days next summer and doing what we did.....maybe she can get a taste for it.....

Edited by jennat

DSC08862.jpg

DSC08866.jpg

IMG_1531.jpg

outside the Samba grill

IMG_1532.jpg

IMG_1535.jpg

DSC08861.jpg

Inside the Samba Grill

We went to make reservations. They were closed but the res book was out and we saw there were TONS of openings so we thought we would just show up later......however, we were hungry (this later proved to me a mistake.....not that we were hungry but that we ate!)

We went to Cafe and I finally had one of their roast beef sandwiches. Not really understanding why they are so good (it is roast beef on a roll, not rocket science), I hadn't tried them up until now. Okay, really, really good. i think it is magic....seriously, magic. Try one and try one early.

We needed our obligatory nap because, well, still just who we are.....

woke from said nap at 7:30 and since I had Samba in my mind and a song in my heart we headed up....NOT HUNGRY AT ALL. Where is the logic in this you ask.....yeah, well.....

That's some nasty green pool water on your earlier pics of the pool deck. :eek: Yuck!

Still enjoying the review. :)

I noticed that as well, saw the same thing my first Majesty cruise. Apparently the pool isn't used much this early in the season.

The Samba Grill is a Brazilian steakhouse. Basically they bring all sorts of meat to your table one at a time. They had 8 choices here.....including filet mignon, chicken, yeah, I don't remember.......

You hit the green button when you want him to bring more and the red when you want him to stop. I think, because I'm sure everyone wants to know what I think, that every restaurant should have one of these (or those flags like Casa Bonita). Wouldn't that make everyone's lives easier....the wait staff knows when they are needed and when they aren't, we aren't interrupted in the middle of conversations. Just sayin' ~ someone get on that.

I digress (shocking, I know)

DSC08870.jpg

Here is the little light I was talking about

IMG_1537.jpg

Here is our meat guy (don't think that is his Official title....could be though)

IMG_1534.jpg

Here is the same photo you have seen but in context. I think this had the best view in the whole ship that wasn't outside.....we saw porpoises while we were there. BTW that is a hard word to spell.

you start with the salad and appetizer bar which was awesome. They then bring out potato wedges and veggies (thought the potato wedges were an odd choice with all that meat. Don't know why I thought that....just did)

My hubby really liked this place. I thought it was fine. Seems to be a theme with me. I think maybe I am persnickety.....

1. persnickety

Adj.

Pertaining to a person or persons that are very particular

Not to be confused with this persnickety

2. persnickety

To be intoxicated, to have the desire to get very drunk.

John had a hard day at work so he wanted to go to the bar and get persnickety.

Although, hummmm, that fits too! These are from the Urban dictionary....don't know, just sayin'

I noticed that as well, saw the same thing my first Majesty cruise. Apparently the pool isn't used much this early in the season.

Truly, It wasn't dirty or green.....remember it was empty the week prior.....the bottom must be green or the roof for the reflection.....don't know but I do know it wasn't yucky water.....

DSC08870.jpg

Here is the little light I was talking about

IMG_1537.jpg

Here is our meat guy (don't think that is his Official title....could be though)

It appears that this gentleman would be your 'gaucho', based on the above button (GAUCHO SERVICE). :D But 'meat guy' is funny. And as much as I loved the Seaview Cafe and would miss it, Samba Grill looks nice. Loving your review!

does she like wildlife? breathtaking scenery? We spent a ton of time on our balcony it was an aft balcony very little wind, pretty comfortable out there, did not need a blanket. We were on the same cruise as Jen

Only if it can be seen from a beach with a drink in hand ;) We will see, although after this review, I feel like I've already been there, done that!

Only if it can be seen from a beach with a drink in hand ;) We will see, although after this review, I feel like I've already been there, done that!

Well she could do that!!!:D there are certainly lots of beaches and she could have a drink in her hand.............I wouldn't recommend the swimsuit she has in mind though

My husband is the same way. It took my most saddest puppy dog eyes to get my way. We are on the August 12th sailing. :D

Emerald Lake....Wanna know why it is named that?

Cause they paint the bottom green?........... We have a small lake by our summer home in Radium BC called "Olive Lake" and my DD told her girfriend this when she asked why it was so green :D. Anyway - thanks for the beautiful pics - they do show the beauty of the north. Living close to the mountains, we would go often - summer and winter - our opinions are "the greener the water, the colder it is" :p I know, not always true but it seems that way.

Sorry to hijack the thread, I just had to comment - carry on! This is great.