Review on our Alaska Cruise aboard the Radiance

Had you booked through the cruiseline? I just wonder why they told our table mates that you couldn't "catch up"? When obviously you can because you did.

I would love to know if you can't catch up then why???

I'm glad you got on....that is an expensive trip to miss.

Had you booked through the cruiseline? I just wonder why they told our table mates that you couldn't "catch up"? When obviously you can because you did.

If it leaves out of Alaska you can catch up. If out of Canada, Thats where the issues comes into play. Customs...That may be the reason?

My husband commented:

"should we be proud or very worried that we attract fellow cruisers to hang out with that while shopping for alcohol in port think "I really want a small bottle of Dewars, but the metal cap would never get through security....hummmm. Look! Chivas has a plastic cap! I'll take one! No I don't need a bag, just drop it in my drawers and I am good to go!""

My husband just corrected me....

It is the RED DOG in Juneau and the Red ONION in Skagway (coming soon)

Opps!

He also is telling me, (kindof bossy he is) that Dave was the photographer and guide for the day and Jim was the boat Captain.

Anything else......honeyyyyyyy? ;)

One more thing, Keith didn't come over to me because of the flash, we were just chatting because he we were in the front row. He said that the flash was no big deal at all but inferred that smuggling was a serious offense. Just sayin'

Is hubby in one room reading your posts on his computer while you are posting on your computer in another room?

Tell Hubby that if he is reading on another computer, "he" can edit and correct your posts!!:D Mine does that for me all the time.;)

BTW, we have yet to do a cruise where it was nice weather in Juneau.

Edited by cruisenfever

Is hubby in one room reading your posts on his computer while you are posting on your computer in another room?

Tell Hubby that if he is reading on another computer, "he" can edit and correct your posts!!:D Mine does that for me all the time.;)

BTW, we have yet to do a cruise where it was nice weather in Juneau.

His desk is right next to mine but he is slower than me....;) so he catches them after the fact.

His desk is right next to mine but he is slower than me....;) so he catches them after the fact.

OMG that is too funny. :D Mine is in the kitchen while I'm in the back bedroom. He got tired of yelling to me about mistakes so he figured out how to correct them himself.

We left out of Vancouver. We did book with RC but others in the group booked on their own. Only difference was we were picked up at airport in Ketchikan by RC rep and taken to ship in morning by RC rep and they weren't. All of us stayed at the same lodge at the top of the tram in Ketchikan.

omg Jen, I love your whale pics, how exciting! You captured a lot more of these magnificent creatures than we did up there (size and quantity), thanks!

IMG_1164.jpg

IMG_1188-Version2.jpg

They were flipping on their bellies, diving, jumping......it really was awesome.

Yeah, so did I mention it was raining? Not like sprinkling but like "grab a hammer and nails and build an arc" raining. When the guide offered the incredibly trendy rain ponchos we all raised our hands.

IMG_0996.jpg

And regarding the rain, the weather in Alaska doesn't matter, to me anyway. Look at your great tram shot. And how cute you two look in that poncho pic! We had gorgeous weather our first time, lots of sun and in the low 70s, and more misty/rain and cooler temps the second cruise there. Loved both and would go back again. Our rafting trip on the Mendenhall, the helicopter ride up to the glacier and walking on it, the train ride, etc. amazing.

p.s. ladylawyer, thank you for the 2005 photo comparison of the glacier...I thought the same in remembering the glacier from '95 and '04. :(

Well, let me tell you if Oprah still had her show, you would be a guest on it...you can sure put together a story...its like a "cant put it down book"..and I keep glancing over my shoulder at my house getting no cleaner, and the clock ticking toward time for work, and the iron just sitting there doing nothing (after so long you would think it could iron work shirts on its own, its had plenty of practice!)...and now my excitement levels have been up there, but reading this

I WANNA GO RIGHT NOW...

Our turn in 6 weeks and 6 days ! I have learnt heaps from you..thanks !:D

Thanks for the great reviews Jen

We hope to take the Radiance soon, when we can afford it. We've always wanted to sail in Alaska- We've been on 5 previous RC cruises to either Eastern or Western Caribbean and once to the Mexican Riveria.

I will miss the Promenade and the sports bar though but look forward to the specialty restaurants.

We may have to postpone it until next years as my wife and I lost our jobs earlier in the year so we will be without incomes-hopefully for a short time.

If we wouldn't have lost them-we would definitely been going on a cruise in Alaska this year. I got laid off in February and my wife got laid off two months ago,

Times are tough down here in South Texas and hard to find jobs where we live in small towns

Hey Jen - you soo have to call into work sick so you can just concentrate on your review!! I rush home from work to read the next installment. :D Great writing. We sailed to Alaska on Radiance in August 2009 and are booked again in August next year. Can't wait and reading your review is just wetting my appetite even more!! Thanks for sharing!!:)

We have been sailing since 1979 and I have always said "No way do I want to go to Alaska. I love the warmth and I don't want to freeze on a ship". After reading your review, I just booked a 13 night cruisetour on Celebrity (never cruised on Celebrity before) for our best friend and us. I'm pretty sure your words and pictures are the whole reason for my change of heart - and this 112* temperature I'm sitting in has nothing to do with it at all. :rolleyes: Now I can hardly wait - unfortunately we have to wait almost a whole year. I would love to do exactly everything you did on the ship - I'm taking copious notes! :cool:

Thanks!

I have just sat here and read all 10 pages of your review and looked at every picture! We are on the july 8 sailing of Radiance and I am so excited to be reading about your cruise. Can't wait for the rest of it. We are doing a small boat whale watching tour in Icy Straights with Gulf winds I think it is, 6 people only. They say we are likely to see bears too, and I see you did. We are doing the Taku lodge float plane trip in Juneau, which I expect will be similar to your trip in Misty Fijords, which looked beautiful. I am loving your review and your writing style. Thank you for making it sound like we are there with you. Can't wait to experience it soon for ourselves! :)

Thanks for taking the time to write this wonderful review!! We are leaving on July 24 and will board the Radiance on the 29th. I am so happy that you had a great experience with Hope at Misty Bay Lodge. We are meeting her after our whale watching trip and going to look for bears. I had previously booked a whale watching trip before I found her website or we would have done both with her.

What night was the second formal night? Looks like you had a great trip!!

We are going on a twelve night Cruisetour July 24th. Just booked with Misty Bay Lodge (Icy strait Point/Hoonah) based on your recommendations. Dan called immediately after e-mailing him. Glad to have another whale adventure booked (we booked the Whale Quest and Mendenhall Glacier with the cruiseline). Steve and Glenna

Edited by rascalious

oops hit thried to get the caps lock off and ended up sending reply premarturely. We also went on the whale watch and then the bear search with misty bay lodge. wonderful warm friendly people. happy to show you what they love about hoonah. can"t say enough good things about hope, capt dan and brian our bear search guide

Our party of 8, from Texas, will fly from Dallas to Vancouver on July 6. We will spend some time in Vancouver and will cram in as many sights as possible before we board the Radiance on July 8 for the 10 day cruise and land tour.

I check your post often and find it very interesting and informative. Today, it was too hot for man or beast; considering the humidity, it feels like 105. Can't wait to get to the cooler weather. Keep up the good work posting your experience.:D

We have been sailing since 1979 and I have always said "No way do I want to go to Alaska. I love the warmth and I don't want to freeze on a ship". After reading your review, I just booked a 13 night cruisetour on Celebrity (never cruised on Celebrity before) for our best friend and us. I'm pretty sure your words and pictures are the whole reason for my change of heart - and this 112* temperature I'm sitting in has nothing to do with it at all. :rolleyes: Now I can hardly wait - unfortunately we have to wait almost a whole year. I would love to do exactly everything you did on the ship - I'm taking copious notes! :cool:

Thanks!

I am so excited and so flattered....and we haven't gotten to the best part of the trip yet...that starts now.....

I know someone commented that the weather didn't matter but for me, I am sure glad that we had nice weather....I wish you and everyone else, sunny skies.

I have heard good things about Celebrity.....I wouldn't do a cruisetour, I would do it on my own if it were me. you can read about what we did, soon...

It was soooo amazing, more amazing than I can tell you....but I'll try;):D

Do you want a preview?

IMG_2233.jpg

IMG_2279.jpg

Im jonesing(is that a word) , I need my fix:o

That is a compliment to your wonderful review that 'we' look forward to, as Im sure Im not the only one

Ive never been on an Alaskan cruise but the Radiance is my favorite RCCL ship so Im enjoying it so much:D

OOPS since I was typing and talking you posted either I type slow or I talk to much

Edited by jonbgd

Our party of 8, from Texas, will fly from Dallas to Vancouver on July 6. We will spend some time in Vancouver and will cram in as many sights as possible before we board the Radiance on July 8 for the 10 day cruise and land tour.

I check your post often and find it very interesting and informative. Today, it was too hot for man or beast; considering the humidity, it feels like 105. Can't wait to get to the cooler weather. Keep up the good work posting your experience.:D

At the rate we are going here, you won't be hot or humid in Vancouver!! Been cooler than normal so far............ We can't get above 20C or about 70F but it is pleasant and no humidity and you should love it!!!

We have 3 companies in town that do hop on hop off tours, a good way to see the city!!

Enjoy your cooler holiday to come...........:D