Khutzeymateen Grizzly Bears by boat..

calee

Khutzeymateen Grizzly Bear viewing by boat. I liked the description of this Prince Rupert 6 hour tour and, understanding that it has limited participation, I've booked it for 5/28. I'd like to hear from anyone who has done this tour or knows anything about it.

Don't know anything about it except what the shore excursion listing said on NCL's website. We pre-booked it for early June. It sounds really great.. anyone been on this?? Can you tell us about your experience?

• 4 weeks later...

floatingrock.net/wcl/default.asp?NavBarID=5&SideBarID=38&TID=3

Here is the company that has the bear trips for NCL. I tried to book them directly since it was $100US for Children and about $115 for adults. They said that during the day we are there on the NCL Spirit they are exclusive to the NCL ship which charges $175us for both Adults and Children eventhough they are given a better price for children. This really upset me and the Lady at the tour desk said the markup was mainly from the port but from NCL as well. No wonder fewer ships dock here, looks like they are trying to make it up on the few ships that still dock here.

We prebooked this excursion through NCL.. and are looking forward to it. Can't remember the cost but it was a bit more than the 145.. but not terribly more. I think the scenery will be awesome and if we see bears, all the better!

I think the price for the tour on the website is in canadian dollars, so it would mean NCL's markup is over 50%. They also mention that "the bears are seen regularly but not guarranteed". Seems to be quite an expensive tour, especially if you are not lucky to see any bears.

I guess that is why there are several excursion choices for each port, different people want different things. We really want to see whatever wildlife we can see and the scenery. Just very excited to be going.. :)

No tour can guarantee wildlife viewing. That's why is called wildlife. Otherwise

it would say guarnateed zoolife viewing. Big difference. On my last day of work

at the Alaska Rainforest Sanctuary in Ketchikan last summer we didn't see any

black bears on the first 3 tours of the day. But on the last 2 we say 9 black

bears all at the same time and within 150 feet of where we were standing. You

just never know what you are going to see. Take it all in, the beauty of where

you are at and all the surroundings. If you get to see some wildlife consider it

icing on the cake. If you want something that's guaranteed save your money

and go visit the San Diego Zoo, it's pretty cool.

For the Grizzley Bear tour company's own web site check out http://www.palmerville.bc.ca

Yes the GST is a Canadian Federal Sales Tax. It is refundable in certain circumstances to visitors to Canada - the GST is 7% and charged on all purchases and services.

Yes this tax is on top of our Provincial sales tax which is also 7%.

Candyman Jim,

I just checked the web site you listed and the price is $145, plus GST, whatever that is, a tax of some sort I imagine, not $115.

I called and this is the CAN price. Since CAN is about 20% higher this makes the USD around $115. I dont mind paying a fair markup, but this is rediculous.

JIM

More important than the price is the quality of the bear viewing. Locals have told me that its very poor because the heart of the preserve is off-limits to tours except for 2 permitted companies, and the one you're looking at isn't one of them. See the official preserve Web site at http://wlapwww.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/khutz.htm which says:

"The ultimate purpose of this area is to protect the north coast grizzly bear by preserving a part of the ecosystem in which they live. Because of this area’s high sensitivity and strict conservation orientation, visitor use is not encouraged."

Murray

Archived