Explorer of the Seas Review with Pics June 9-18, 2011

A little background about us.

We are in our mid 40’s and this was our 9th cruise. Our 7th on Royal Caribbean and of the ships we have been on I do like the Voyager Class the best. It may take a while to get the whole review up as I have pictures, video and cruise compasses to upload. So here goes…..

Worst Embarkation Ever…..

We arrived at Cape Liberty a little before 1:30. Check in is in a big tented area. Things went fairly fast and we got our seapass card from a very nice lady and then got in line to get our security picture taken for the seapass card and this is when things went wrong. When the lady went to take our pictures neither of our cards would work. We waited for quite a while during which she just kept complaining to the lady working the seapass photo machine next to her about how many people were in line and how at 3:00 she was out of there, how hot it was, etc. Meanwhile some people at the machine next to us had the same problem with their seapass and that lady was very nice and got someone right away to fix the problem and they were on their way. We were still waiting. When she started complaining about wanting to go home and getting out of there at 3:00 (it is now about 2:45)we realized she wasn’t going to help us and just wanted to leave. We finally demanded she do something, especially after seeing the people in the other line get the problem solved in no time, and finally after some mumbling to us got someone who did something really quick and we got our seapass pictures. Of course it was 97 degrees and extremely humid and we have been waiting all this time and were not in the best mood anymore and they want to take our onboard photo so we plastered on the fake smiles. (We laugh at that picture now and yes I actually bought it) After exiting the tented area they take you on a shuttle to the ship and you board the ship from deck 1 and wait in line to get on the elevator. It was well after 3:00 until we actually got onboard.

We went right to our room, dropped off our carry on bags and went to the windjammer. The windjammer was very crowded, we finally found a table, which was dirty, but we sat down and just moved the dirty plates, no one ever came to clean it, so I finally started stacking the dishes and one of the crew in the white shirts (I think a supervisor), not the regular staff, came and said she was just on her way to clean it. Things just seemed unorganized that first day

001ExploreroftheSeas.jpg

We then went to the muster drill which was quick & easy, no life vests required. We then went up to deck 12 for sail away under the Verrazano Bridge. It was very windy as we were moving at a good speed, it looked like a storm may have been coming. After sail away we had dinner in the main dining room (we had the 6:00 seating). Our waiters were very good, especially our assistant waiter who made a point to come talk to us whenever he saw us in the windjammer. I had the prime rib which was good. We then went to the room to unpack. We didn’t go do any shows, except the ice show, as we prefer to sit on the balcony at night and relax.

004StatueofLiberty.jpg

Picture of Statue of Liberty from our balcony while docked.

006Verrazanobridge.jpg

007VerrazanoBridge.jpg

005Memorial911.jpg

911 Memorial

Here is a video clip of our sailaway, mixed in with video I took in April of the Explorer of the Seas. We live near the port and watched it sail from Fort Wadsworth. This is a great place to watch cruise ships going under the bridge.

The Cabin

We had a balcony room on deck 7. We loved the location. Just off the library and not far from the elevators. Very quiet. We had a room with a connecting door and either the people in that cabin were very quiet or the room is very soundproof because we never heard a peep from them. We actually thought that cabin was empty until half way through the week when we saw them going in the room. The only difference with the connecting door is instead of a love seat we had a chair and believe me this chair had definitely seen better days. Neither of us ever did get the courage to sit on it and as you can see we just used it to put our stuff on and sat on the table instead. Other then the chair with the strange stains, the rest of the room was very clean and our cabin steward was awesome. We would put our make up room card in the door and she was right there cleaning it. We saw her in the halls all the time and she always said hello to us by name and asked about our day. One night she forgot to leave a cruise compass for us, but we were able to get one right away. We got towels animals 4 nights out of 9.

By the way, the big black item under the desk is a medical refrigerator. I have a couple of medicines that need to be refrigerated and the one in the room doesn’t get cold enough, they told me that it is really just a cooler, but no problem as they gave us the medical refrigerator at no charge.

The balcony was metal walls on either side, instead of like on the newer ships that can open. The advantage is the balcony is very private and if the people are out next to you, you really don‘t even know it, the disadvantage was when is was hot, not as much air moves through and no connecting door if you wanted to open up with your neighbors.

009Balconyroom1.jpg

010Balconyroom2.jpg

011Balconyroom3.jpg

Day 1 Cruise Compass

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B_oNBLx8GlMKMWRkYjgzNzYtMmY4MS00NjJhLWFjZmUtMzNhNDM5YzhlMjQ3&hl=en_US&authkey=CNXKp8YI

Day 1 Menu

008Day1Menu.jpg

Is this the 9 day Bermuda/E. Caribbean itinerary? If so - I LOVE YOU since we'll be on that one in less than two months! :eek: If not - eh, you're ok.

Great review! Keep it up! (And bring on more compasses/menus!)

We will be on the Explorer in April. We will be a group of 10 people and we all have rooms on deck 7 so the room number will help. I wonder if you could have asked them to give you another chair?

Love the pics and the review. Can't wait for more!

Loralie

Yes, sorry, I forgot to mention that this was the Eastern Caribbean. Our ports were King’s Wharf in Bermuda, St. Maarten, St. Thomas and San Juan, Puerto Rico. Despite the rough start to the trip we had a great time and loved the ports. Enjoy your trip!

I only took a picture of the menu the first day. I meant to take it everyday but got busy and forgot. I thought on a 9 day I would have so much time to do this, but its amazing how busy you get and the time just flies by.

We were in cabin 7606. We never really thought about asking to replace the chair because it really wasn’t too much of an issue since we tend to sit on the balcony when we are in the room for any extended period of time. The ship overall was very clean and nice, although it does show its age in places. We saw maintenance and cleaning people constantly working around the ship, but nothing that ever interfered with anything. You'll have a great time!

We will be on the Explorer in April. We will be a group of 10 people and we all have rooms on deck 7 so the room number will help. I wonder if you could have asked them to give you another chair?

Love the pics and the review. Can't wait for more!

Loralie

We sailed Explorer two weeks prior to this review. Upon getting in our cabin we noticed there were extra chairs on our balcony there. We asked the cabin attendant to remove the extras as there were only the two of us. He told us the prior passengers shared this balcony with some friends that were across the hall in a interior cabin. They extras were promptly removed.

Therefore, I'm going out on a limb here and say YES you can ask for extra chairs. ;)

Tim

Day 2 - Sea Day

This was a day to just relax and explore the ship. The Cruise Director, Jimmy Rhodes and the Activities Manager, Leigh, put on a morning cruise show that they show on the TV. We would watch it while getting ready in the morning. Its a cute little show and he gives a rundown of things happening that day and you can leave questions or birthday mentions, etc. for him in a box by the Guest Relations Desk and he reads some of them each morning.

We had breakfast in the Windjammer and had no trouble getting a table. After breakfast we went to get our tickets for the Ice Show in the Maharajas Lounge. They started giving out tickets at 9:00 and we got there right at 9. There was a long line, but as soon as they opened the doors the line moved very quickly. The tickets are free. There were a few show times. Once you enter the lounge you just get in line for whichever show you want to get tickets for. We got tickets for the Thursday show at 5:00. We the went to morning trivia, lost that. Just relaxed until lunch time. Again we ate in the Windjammer and had no problem getting a table. We sat out on the balcony and read. Dinner that night was formal. I had roast duck and shrimp cocktail. I thought the food in the Dining Room was very good all week.

Video from around the ship:

Day 2 Cruise Compass

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B_oNBLx8GlMKMjE4OWFhN2YtMzQ4MS00OTM3LWExMjgtZGJhMWFlYzA0MjFk&hl=en_US&authkey=CIuN-JsC

Deck4003.jpg

01Deck4.jpg

cafeprom.jpg

Great review so far. We were on the ship with you too. I agree the first day was total chaos. We actually were at the pier early and got checked in but had to wait in the holding area for well over an hour. They didn't let you board until after 12:00, then everyone went lining up for the windjammer and they didn't open until after 1:00. they had an inspection going on but seemed like no one really knew when they would be available. We had a great cruise, great weather, great staff, did i say how great it was? I think my favorite was heading over to St. John from St. Thomas. We've never been there and Trunk Bay was by far the prettiest place on earth!

Thanks for sharing, i never get around to writing reviews but love reading them!

Great review so far. We were on the ship with you too. I agree the first day was total chaos. We actually were at the pier early and got checked in but had to wait in the holding area for well over an hour. They didn't let you board until after 12:00, then everyone went lining up for the windjammer and they didn't open until after 1:00. they had an inspection going on but seemed like no one really knew when they would be available. We had a great cruise, great weather, great staff, did i say how great it was? I think my favorite was heading over to St. John from St. Thomas. We've never been there and Trunk Bay was by far the prettiest place on earth!

Thanks for sharing, i never get around to writing reviews but love reading them!

We sailed two weeks prior and were not allowed on the ship until noon. The windjammer was open once we boarded. We have sailed on other ships that have be inspected by the Coast Guard and other agencies and stalled the opening of the buffett. More often than not, it is not the fault of RCCL or the ship's staff, normally other agencies.

Trunk Bay, what more can I add? My FAVORITE PLACE IN THE WORLD!!!

Tim

I'm really enjoying reading your review. My husband and I will be going on the same cruise on July 21st for our 25th anniversary which is actually on the 19th. We were thinking of going to Portofino's one night either for the Mystery Dinner or just to go. My husband was wondering if he really has to wear a sport jacket to get in there? If he does, that's fine but if he doesn't have to bring it, then he would rather not. Since you just got back, I thought I would ask. :)

I'm really enjoying reading your review. My husband and I will be going on the same cruise on July 21st for our 25th anniversary which is actually on the 19th. We were thinking of going to Portofino's one night either for the Mystery Dinner or just to go. My husband was wondering if he really has to wear a sport jacket to get in there? If he does, that's fine but if he doesn't have to bring it, then he would rather not. Since you just got back, I thought I would ask. :)

I have been in Portofino's with a Polo type shirt and khaki slacks, not a problem.

Tim

Great review. We were on the same cruise and outside of the wait to get into the windjammer after boarding, the cruise was as perfect as you can get. Service, food and weather were outstanding especially the nice calm seas the whole trip.

MVENTURA - We wondered if there was some kind of delay. We have boarded other ships after 2:00 and the Windjammer is usually not so busy by then.

I heard Trunk Bay is nice, I haven’t been there yet. Gives me an excuse to go on another cruise.

LazyDays7 - Congrates on your 25th Anniversary. Sorry I can’t help you with the Portofino question as we have never eaten there. Have a great trip!

Day 3 - Bermuda

We woke up to a beautiful day. Since I have limited mobility (bad lungs) I can’t walk fast or far so I used a wheelchair in port. Because of this we didn’t do an excursion but just stayed around the port area. The ship docked around 8:00 a.m. and since we had no plans we had a leisurely breakfast in the Dining Room. I had a smoked salmon and cheese omelet for breakfast, it was very good. Most people were already off the ship by the time we left so we were able to just go right off, no waiting. We went to the Frog and Onion Pub and sat there a while and had a drink. Then we went to the Clocktower Mall for a little bit and then headed back to the ship. This was a very nice area and we had no problems getting around the dock area. We got back to the ship about lunch time and again no waiting, just got right onboard. All aboard wasn’t until 4:30.

Bermuda.jpg

Bermuda02.jpg

Bermuda01.jpg

We had lunch in the Windjammer and since most people were still in port we got a nice table by the window. We took some pictures of the port. The Caribbean Princess was docked near us and we got a picture from the helicopter pad. Dinner was casual. I had Pork Tenderloin and Crab Cake. We did the 70’s music trivia, and lost and went back to the room for the night.

Bermuda04.jpg

Bermuda03.jpg

Everyone returning from their excursions

CaribbeanPrincess.jpg

Caribbean Princess

Day 3 Compass

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B_oNBLx8GlMKNWJkMGJhYjctNTI3NC00NmMwLTkxOGItMTMyYWVhNjk4NjBi&hl=en_US&authkey=CIebnvMK

Some video of Bermuda

Day 4 Sea Day

Day 4 Compass

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B_oNBLx8GlMKZjVkYjhjOGUtZmM4My00ZDVmLWFkZGQtM2Q3MGZmMTg5MTQz&hl=en_US&authkey=CIfBhd0N

We had breakfast in the Windjammer again today and our Assistant Waiter, Collin, from dinner came and chatted with us when he saw us which was nice. Again, we had no trouble getting a table. We did some morning trivia and lost. We did Johnny Rockets for lunch. There is an extra $4.95 charge per person for this. They have very good onion rings and I like their burgers. They have indoor and outdoor seating and we sat inside since it was pretty windy on deck today. After lunch we watched the belly flop competition and then just relaxed until dinner time.

Johnny Rocket Video

Johnnyrocketsmenu1.jpg

JR2.jpg

JR3.jpg

The guy dancing in this picture was very nice and friendly. We had a short wait for a table and he chatted with us until it was ready. The staff there was great.

Dress for dinner was casual. I had chicken marsala. The waiters sang O Sole Mio at dinner. Our table in the dining room was around a corner way in the back so our assistant waiter stood and sang all by himself. He did a great job

AssistantwaitersingingJun122011004.jpg

After dinner we went to the Schooner Bar to play TV Theme Trivia, but it was packed. This was the most people I ever saw at a trivia game so we decided to just get a snack at the Café Promenade and head to the room to relax on the balcony before bed.

JR3.jpg

The waitress pictured is Ebony. She was really great and seemed to really enjoy her job. I gave her a special "shout out" in my survey at the end of our cruise. (We took the same 9-night at the end of April)

The waitress pictured is Ebony. She was really great and seemed to really enjoy her job. I gave her a special "shout out" in my survey at the end of our cruise. (We took the same 9-night at the end of April)

What a coincidence! I recognized Ebony in this picture too, from my cruise in March. She was great!! I sent an email to RC complimenting her after i got home. We actually went back to Johnny Rockets a second time to see her, but she wasn't working at the time we got there.

What a coincidence! I recognized Ebony in this picture too, from my cruise in March. She was great!! I sent an email to RC complimenting her after i got home.

I guess her good service wasn't a fluke then ;) We should tell everyone to ask for Ebony when they go to Johnny Rockets!

Day 5 St. Maarten

Day 5 Cruise Compass

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B_oNBLx8GlMKZTA0NWYzNDctOWY3Ny00ZDQzLTk2OTEtNzk5ZTMxNmFmOGJm&hl=en_US&authkey=CI7kk5gB

We woke up to another beautiful day. Our arrival in St. Maarten wasn’t until noon so we had a nice relaxing breakfast in the dining room.

StMaartin.jpg

My wife signed up for the Mountain Top Downhill Trek, a ships excursion. It started at St. Martin’s highest point on the French side of the island. The ship docked on the Dutch Side. She enjoyed this very much, but said it was a workout since it was quite hot and humid this day.

Here are some pictures from her hike:

stmaartin01.jpg

stmaartin02.jpg

Orient Bay (I think)

stmaartin033.jpg

I went to the shops near the dock a little bit, but mostly hung out on the ship. Dinner dress that night was casual and I forgot what I had that night.

Video of the shops by the dock

Day 6 St. Thomas

Day 6 Compass

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B_oNBLx8GlMKMjA3MDY5ZDYtNDc1Zi00YjhhLWI3MjEtOTA4NTNjNjcyOGY2&hl=en_US&authkey=CI2lz44B

We arrived in St. Thomas around 8:00. Another sunny day. We had breakfast in the dining room and then hung out on the lifeboat deck for a while watching people getting off the ship. Our excursion wasn’t until 10:30. We book the Easy St. Thomas excursion through Royal Caribbean. This excursion is designed for wheelchair users and people with limited mobility. The description said it would be in an open air trolley, but we were in a small passenger van which worked out better because we had air conditioning. Our guide, Ian, was excellent. He drove us to three different lookout points around the island. The last stop was a large store with a lookout deck. He told us all about the island and we really enjoyed this excursion. It lasted under 3 hours.

Arriving in St. Thomas

stthomas01.jpg

stthomas02.jpg

Leaving the ship

stthomas03.jpg

stthoms04.jpg

Video of St. Thomas

When we got back to the ship we had lunch in the Windjammer and just relaxed. Dinner was smart casual and I had the roast beef

Archived