Yangtze River tour - worth it?

Roger Dodger

We will be doing the 8-day Princess tour out of Bejiing. Were there restrictions on the luggage (weight?) on any of the Asian flights? Just want to be prepared!!!

Thanks for all of your insights.

We were in China in May, with Viking River Cruises. On the intra-China flights, you can have one checked bag weighing up to 44 pounds. (The bags for everyone in our group were checked together, and it was not a problem if some weighed a little more. I have no idea whether overweight bags would pose a problem for your group.)

Carryons are limited to one, weighing 11 pounds (and a personal item). That said, those rules weren't enforced (not number or weight limit). Our guide told us though, that if the security folks were in a bad mood, they could enforce those rules. We took three internal flights, and no one was weighing or counting carryons.

We were told that on flights to Hong Kong from inside China, the rules are strictly enforced (for checked bags and carryons).

In prior seasons, folks reported that they could not bring ANY liquids on board intra-China flights. This summer, the rules on liquids seemed to be the same as on domestic American flights, except that NO water could be brought on board, even water purchased inside the secure area of the terminals.

FYI, I think the most info here on CC about traveling in China is in the "Viking China" threadzillla in the "Other Cruise Lines" forum (of the Cruise Lines A-O forum). While some of it is of course specific to the Viking tours, lots of the info is more broadly relevant to traveling in China, period.

Have a great trip!

We were in China in May, with Viking River Cruises. On the intra-China flights, you can have one checked bag weighing up to 44 pounds. (The bags for everyone in our group were checked together, and it was not a problem if some weighed a little more. I have no idea whether overweight bags would pose a problem for your group.)

Carryons are limited to one, weighing 11 pounds (and a personal item). That said, those rules weren't enforced (not number or weight limit). Our guide told us though, that if the security folks were in a bad mood, they could enforce those rules. We took three internal flights, and no one was weighing or counting carryons.

We were told that on flights to Hong Kong from inside China, the rules are strictly enforced (for checked bags and carryons).

In prior seasons, folks reported that they could not bring ANY liquids on board intra-China flights. This summer, the rules on liquids seemed to be the same as on domestic American flights, except that NO water could be brought on board, even water purchased inside the secure area of the terminals.

FYI, I think the most info here on CC about traveling in China is in the "Viking China" threadzillla in the "Other Cruise Lines" forum (of the Cruise Lines A-O forum). While some of it is of course specific to the Viking tours, lots of the info is more broadly relevant to traveling in China, period.

Have a great trip!

Thank you for this info. I will make good notes, pack light, and be sure I don't go overweight as I need to save room for souvenirs.

Thanks also for the China monster thread. I'll check that out as well.

Cheers,

Archived