First time cruising with the (older) kids

bostonlady

Hi... it will be the first time our boys, age 11 and 16 are going on a cruise with us. We've only cruised once, more than ten years ago. We are cruisin on the Enchantment of the Seas out of Fort Lauderdale on April 21 for 4 nights. Would love to talk with anyone else who may be cruisin also. We'll be visiting Cozumel and the Keys. Any helpful information about shore excursions at these ports would help :confused: and any other information we should know before we go.... thanks so much!!

You might have a little better luck going to the Royal Caribbean board and ask your questions there.

I have 2 older kids (now 13 and 16) and have taken them on 6 cruises, but I don't have any of your answers.

Also, check the Ports of Call board for your specific ports, there's always a ton of info there.

Good luck!

Hi... it will be the first time our boys, age 11 and 16 are going on a cruise with us. We've only cruised once, more than ten years ago. We are cruisin on the Enchantment of the Seas out of Fort Lauderdale on April 21 for 4 nights. Would love to talk with anyone else who may be cruisin also. We'll be visiting Cozumel and the Keys. Any helpful information about shore excursions at these ports would help :confused: and any other information we should know before we go.... thanks so much!!

Hi,

We're going on Carnival on 4/25 and will stop in Cozumel too. Let me know if you find anything out! We have 3 teenagers going: 21, 18, and 16 (boy, boy, girl).

Hi Boston Lady:

I am also a lady from near Boston sailing on that cruise with my two daughters ages 13 & 16. Flying out of Boston very early on the 21st. We might be on the plane with you! It is our first cruise. The girls want to go some place warm! I would love to chat before we go.

Angela

Angela, we are flying down to Fort Lauderdale the day before departure... taking in a Florida Marlins game against the Mets (hoping to see Pedro pitch). I can't wait to get on the ship... I think the boys are a little nervous because they have no idea what to expect. It is nice to talk with someone else going on the same cruise.

Where are you guys from? We live in Plymouth...

BostonLady

Boston, I think my family is taking a similar cruise on the Enchantment, just in November. I, too, will be traveling with teens - 15 (turning 16 on the cruise), 15, and 13. We have done some research on shore excursions and are seriously looking at Paradise Beach in Cozumel. I read you can get a taxi for about $10 to $15 USD the 5 or 6 miles from where the cruise ships dock to the other side of the island. It costs $5 per person to use PB's "water toys" - rock climbing wall in the water, kayaks, snorkel equip., etc. Check the Cozumel board on this site - there is a lot of information and posts there on PB and other places to go.

As far as Key West goes, since we will only be there from 7:30 til 2 (who will be up and ready to go at 7:30!!!!), we are just thinking of walking Duval street, trying some key lime pie, grabbing a T-shirt at Margarittaville.....

Please come back to this board after your cruise and let us know what you guys did and how you liked it! I also am looking forward to any advice you can give on the ship. My teens are very interested in what there will be for them to do and what the "teen club" is like.

Thanks!!

Hi-

We are in Pepperell, about an hour northeast of Boston.

I would love to talk more- e-mail me privately if you like and we can figure out how we can meet on board. My kids are excited that there might be other kids on ship to do stuff with- they are kind of shy. What excursions have you planned?

Hope to talk to you soon!

Angela

We have the Passion Island beach excursion planned at Cozumel. The kids wanted a day at the beach and them shopping of course. Nothing in Key West and then the Everglades tour in Ft. Lauderdale as we have a whole day to wait for flight.

Kids are getting excited! So am I, it is my first cruise too!

• 2 weeks later...

Boston Lady,

My husband, two kids and I returned from a Panama Canal cruise last month that stopped in Cozumel. It was our second time in that port (as cruisers, we've also visited Cozumel on our honeymoon). If your kids love to swim and love to snorkel, like mine, Chankanaab Park is a fun way to spend the day. There is an $11/pp admission, but once in, they not only have some of the best snorkeling there is, but a cool archeological park, wild iguanas walking around and a decent place to eat (order from the Mexican menu, not the tourist menu). There is a lot of shade, a place where a river meets the ocean (halocline) and places to rent snorkels or dive equipment. There is also a diving platform out in the ocean near a couple of underwater statues. If this sounds like fun, you need to walk past the tour vendors to the taxis at the port and negotiate your price before you get in the cab (it should be about $10 for everyone). We usually bring our own snorkels, beach mat, towels from the ship (they'll provide beach towels in your stateroom), water bottles and snacks. We did the same thing on a western Carribean cruise a couple of years ago and it is still one of our favorite ports. Try to be one of the first off the ship and you'll have your pick of where you are on the beach. Most cruisers arrive around 10am or so.

In Key West, there is a cool Pirate Museum and a so-so Aquarium.

It's worth it to research as much as possible about each port on your own. We've only bought one ship shore excursion and that was because we were in Tunisia for the day and I don't speak Arabic or French. Oftentimes, we've found things to do that are cheaper (lower price, same destination the ship offers) and the groups are smaller (Cayman Islands - Stingray City).

Cruzercat

Galaxy, Panama Canal, 3-05

Mercury, Alaska, 6-03

Rhapsody of the Seas, Carribean, 11-02

Costa Victoria, Mediterranean, 6-01

Archived