Amtrak Cascades

azseas

We went the opposite direction, so in case others traveling from Vancouver to Seattle read this, you'll know the answer.

In Vancouver, the only way to get a seat assignment is to stand in line. There is a separate line for the Business Class tickets. We were second in line, and I think we got the best seats on the train. We, and the couple ahead of us, got full-window views. We were told we didn't need to show up really early, but I'm sure glad we did.

Seats are only assigned by the conductor, and at Seattle and Vancouver, you have to stand in the check-in line.

However, there is a separate line for Business Class, and it is a lot shorter.

We were second inline (non bus. Class) and we were assigned seats on the 'less scenic' side of the train. I was a big aggrivated, but we just got up and moved, they were pretty flexible with seating, as long as we were in our assigned seats for the border.

From Vancouver, the right side is the "water" side.

Also, another advantage to Business Class is that Business Class is 2 + 1 seating and the "2" side is always the water side. So if you have 2 people, you are virtually guaranteed to be on that side in Business Class.

Also, another advantage to Business Class is that Business Class is 2 + 1 seating and the "2" side is always the water side. So if you have 2 people, you are virtually guaranteed to be on that side in Business Class.

Good to know. My DH and I will be in business class two weeks from today on the 6:50 p.m. train from Seattle to Vancouver.

You have to check baggage at least 30 minutes in advance, and the baggage check line is a completely separate line than the conductor's check in line.

I assume you already are in possession of your tickets, so you don't have to pick those up that morning. If you aren't, that is another line.

Since you are in Business Class you don't have to get there super early to line up in order to get the good coach seats, since if there are 2 of you, you'll get the water side in Business Class anyway. I think if you got there around 7 or a few minutes before, that would be fine.

Thanks so much for the quick response! :D

What are the chances of a couple being split up and getting assigned single seats in the Business class section? I have seen photos of the interior and noticed there are single seats on one side. If you are the last to arrive do you suppose you would be stuck with those seats? If so, I would rather just go with the regular coach section as I would prefer to sit next to my husband.

What are the chances of a couple being split up and getting assigned single seats in the Business class section? I have seen photos of the interior and noticed there are single seats on one side. If you are the last to arrive do you suppose you would be stuck with those seats? If so, I would rather just go with the regular coach section as I would prefer to sit next to my husband.

Possible but not really likely. They try to seat couples together. The single side is for singles and larger groups (like if you have 3, you might get a whole row). As long as you are not waiting until the very last minute to check in, I'd say the chances of being split up are pretty slim. Even if it did happen, you'd probably be assigned singles one in front of the other.

If you waited until the last minute, you'd equally if not more likely to be split up in coach. They have to put singles and odd numbered groups somewhere, which is going to leave single seats. If you are the last ones to check in, you'll get what the have left scattered around the train in coach. They are going to try not to seat singles in the double seats in Business Class.

Possible but not really likely. They try to seat couples together. The single side is for singles and larger groups (like if you have 3, you might get a whole row). As long as you are not waiting until the very last minute to check in, I'd say the chances of being split up are pretty slim. Even if it did happen, you'd probably be assigned singles one in front of the other.

If you waited until the last minute, you'd equally if not more likely to be split up in coach. They have to put singles and odd numbered groups somewhere, which is going to leave single seats. If you are the last ones to check in, you'll get what the have left scattered around the train in coach. They are going to try not to seat singles in the double seats in Business Class.

Thanks zephyr for the quick reply. What you said makes sense and it is something I never considered. I don't plan on being the last one there but you never know. I appreciate your help!

What are the chances of getting two seats together on the northbound train when boarding at Edmonds, the first station north of Seattle? Are the chances any better in Business Class?

Thank you.

Jim

Edmonds is the station I use most often. Many crews will try to block sections of the cars for couples and families, if they do that, you should be able to get them together. At Edmonds, depending on the crew, they may assign you a seat or they may have you sit in any open seats (look for whether or not there is a "seat check" in the holder above the seats if no one is sitting there right then. A seat check means someone already has the seat, just isn't there at the moment). Seats on the left (water...good) side may not be available from there, at least in coach. However, your best chance for the seats you want is still going to be in Seattle, the point of origin.

Chances for doubles together are almost always better in Business Class, because of the 2 + 1 seating. Also, you are pretty much guaranteed a water side seat as a couple, since the water side is the "2" side.

Note that if you are going up the same day as the cruise, the train is likely to be sold out and the earlier you get seats, the better off you are going to be.

Edmonds is the station I use most often. Many crews will try to block sections of the cars for couples and families, if they do that, you should be able to get them together. At Edmonds, depending on the crew, they may assign you a seat or they may have you sit in any open seats (look for whether or not there is a "seat check" in the holder above the seats if no one is sitting there right then. A seat check means someone already has the seat, just isn't there at the moment). Seats on the left (water...good) side may not be available from there, at least in coach. However, your best chance for the seats you want is still going to be in Seattle, the point of origin.

Chances for doubles together are almost always better in Business Class, because of the 2 + 1 seating. Also, you are pretty much guaranteed a water side seat as a couple, since the water side is the "2" side.

Note that if you are going up the same day as the cruise, the train is likely to be sold out and the earlier you get seats, the better off you are going to be.

Thank you for your response. I appreciate it.

Jim

We are going from Seattle to Vancouver and have pre-purchased Business Class tickets. We were directed to print (from our home computer) a page which says for us to "swipe" under a blue scanner to obtain our tickets. Does this really mean we take our receipt and stand in line?

If so... do we stand in line for tickets and then luggage... to make sure we get good seats??

We are going from Seattle to Vancouver and have pre-purchased Business Class tickets. We were directed to print (from our home computer) a page which says for us to "swipe" under a blue scanner to obtain our tickets. Does this really mean we take our receipt and stand in line?

If so... do we stand in line for tickets and then luggage... to make sure we get good seats??

If your bring your computer generated receipt you can swipe it at the scanner kiosk and avoid standing in line for tickets...the line at the scanner tends to be non existent. You then proceed to where you check your luggage...again very little in the way of a wait. The station is not at all like an impersonal airport.

If your bring your computer generated receipt you can swipe it at the scanner kiosk and avoid standing in line for tickets...the line at the scanner tends to be non existent. You then proceed to where you check your luggage...again very little in the way of a wait. The station is not at all like an impersonal airport.

Putterdude is correct, the fastest way to pick up tickets is at the QuikTrak kiosk. You don't even need the printout, you can get the tickets with the reservation code, or even putting in your name and train, if you forget everything.

You need to get your tickets before you do anything else, so the order should be tickets, luggage, check in

This is a great thread!! :)

So... I will get our tickets from the kiosk... how do I know where our seats are located?? Since we are business class and a couple, can I semi-sorta automatically assume we will get the waterview side??

This is a great thread!! :)

So... I will get our tickets from the kiosk... how do I know where our seats are located?? Since we are business class and a couple, can I semi-sorta automatically assume we will get the waterview side??

Your actual seats are not assigned until the conductor assigns them at check in. And yes, a couple in Business Class is likely to be on water side. It is as much of a guarantee of the water side as is possible.

Okay -- all you great experts! Another question -- do we HAVE TO check luggage? We travel with a carry on and backpack each -- is there room in buisness class to stow them under or over the seats? Thank you!

Okay -- all you great experts! Another question -- do we HAVE TO check luggage? We travel with a carry on and backpack each -- is there room in buisness class to stow them under or over the seats? Thank you!

No, you don't have to check luggage. There is a rack over the seats, and a luggage rack at one end of the car. There is no need to check bags for just a backpack and carry on each.

Archived