Has anyone done... biking on the railway trail?

Barbie1

My question is ... Has anyone done this trip... and did you enjoy it??? How much time did you spend on the trail???

another question??? Are there older bikes to rent with the brakes on the pedals??? My mom loves to go on bike rides but she would not be able to ride a bike with the brakes on the handel bars.

thanks, Barb

Hi Barbie 1

We did the bike tour last year and had a great time. Most of the riding is done on pavement since a good portion of the railway trail has been paved.

You use mountain bikes with gears and hand brakes. I didn't see any other bikes.

It was a lot of fun but it was hard work..:)

I think this is the same tour they are still using http://www.fantasea.bm/

Hey Rob...nice site.. I see you have been bitten by the Bermuda bug...BAD

We have been to Bermuda 15 times but have

only cruised ther once...

About the bike tour, we did it when we were docked at the Dockyard. Fantasea picked us up by boat and took us the the old Daniels Head property in Somerset. I dont know it that is the way they do it this year since the property is being redeveloped into another resort...9 Beaches...They gave us instructions and water and off we went. Most of the tour was on paved roads with frequent stops for photo ops and rest....There was a stop and lecture at the Somerset draw bridge, th worlds smallest...The actual bike riding time was 1 1/2 to 2 hrs.,,then it was back to the beach and some swimmimg, Thats when the free beer and rum swizzles came out...After a quick dip it was back to the ship..

BTW here is another link for you http://www.bermudashorts.bm/

Its a local Bermuda site run by my friend Glen.

Have a great time,

Thanks, Rich. This is our 3rd trip, first cruising. I've been to the "Bermudashorts" site and it is really nice. I forgot to put "Bermudashorts" on the website. I'll do it today. This has been a CRS week for me, anyway. Keep in touch and thanks, again.

Hi, Rich. I remembered a few moments ago that I forgot to add the Bermuda Shorts to my website. It's fixed now! Great music on the intro page and fantastic photo section. Does Glen live on the island? I would recommend that all of those that are "Bermuda Bound" check it out!

Yes ,Glen is a local and through the years we have become good friends. He does require people to register if you want to ask any questions, it keeps the flamers away....enjoy the site.

We will be heading back to Bermuda this year but it wil be by plane...He has a band...the Travellers...:D

I need a little help. I'm looking for a great restaurant to take my wife in Bermuda. Any recommendations? I was thinking something like, oceanfront, romantic atmosphere, excellent service and fantastic cuisine.

Thanks

Bob

Hi, CHICHI - Bob. Hopefully, a Bermudian will anwer your question with a bit more authority soon. They are on the site frequently. I might suggest the Elbow Beach Club Resort. It is a Mandarin Oriental Resort, which is top notch and $$$;) . I've included a link to their website for you.

http://www.mandarinoriental.com/hotel/534000001.asp

This'll get you going in the right direction. ENJOY!

I need a little help. I'm looking for a great restaurant to take my wife in Bermuda. Any recommendations? I was thinking something like, oceanfront, romantic atmosphere, excellent service and fantastic cuisine.

Thanks

Bob

My favorite restaurant is Sapori which is located at the Grape Bay Hotel in Paget. They have outdoor seating around the pool which overlooks the South Shore (they also have indoor seating). Check this website www.primaverarestaurant.com and click on Sapori.

Wow! Rich great Bermudashorts site. I loved being able to look at all the different beaches. It may make my choice of choosing which beaches to visit a little easier.

I have a question... Beach Glass Beach, I've never heard of it. Can anyone tell me where this is located and what is the story behind all the seaglass????

I would like to see this place and I'm sure my kids will get a kick out of it. They always look for seaglass here at home when we go to the beach.

We will be in Bermuda on 6/25.

thanks, Barb

Thank you friends, I will consider the suggestions. I was surfing one of the Bermudian websites the other day, where it mentions Sapori, it also said that is Michael Douglas favorite restaurant also.

Bob

Speaking of Michael Douglas, I was most disappointed in the restaurant at Ariel Sands which is owned by his family.

My favorite place to stay and dine is at Waterloo House. It's on the harbour and one can dine outside or in. It's lovely, atmospheric and very good. Also, $$$$

Jane in PHL

Hi Barbie

There is no "official" sea glass beach, just places sea glass can be found. There is an area of beach in St. George’s between Fort St. Catherine and Gates Fort where sea glass can be found. There is also another beach someplace near the dockyard but I don’t know exactly where it can be found..

The story... Supposedly it is found near abandoned military bases. The glass allegedly the remnants of many bottles of alcohol and beer ...so the story goes.

Maybe Swizzle or Longtail can enlighten us more.

Question for Longtail and Swizzle...Do you know who took over the restaurant at the Harmony Club since it is no longer All Inclusive and the restaurant is now privately run.

Maybe Swizzle or Longtail can enlighten us more.

Sorry, I've never heard of a "Glass Beach" or where one could go to pick up sea glass.

Question for Longtail and Swizzle...Do you know who took over the restaurant at the Harmony Club since it is no longer All Inclusive and the restaurant is now privately run.

I didn't realize that they've moved away from all-inclusive, I was there at a chess tournament in February and no one had mentioned it. I checked the local news website and couldn't find anything, which would be odd if it had changed ownership as the new owners of restaurants usually make announcements in the paper, so I assume it is still owned by the hotel or someone related to the hotel owner - just that locals can now dine at the restaurant.

Thank you friends, I will consider the suggestions. I was surfing one of the Bermudian websites the other day, where it mentions Sapori

here's their webpage: http://www.primaverarestaurant.com/Sapori/sapori.html

Bermuda has a number of fine restaurants, just that not all of them have wonderful ocean views. Jane made a good recommendation with Waterloo House, which is right on the Harbour, just be warned that it is $$$$. I've been there once and it was wonderful but dinner for two with wine was around $200. La Coquille also has a wonderful view of the Harbour. I never thought to mention them because when you said an Ocean view I assumed you didn't mean the Harbour since there is land about a mile away on the other side.

Another place with a wonderful view is the restaurant at the Coco Reefs Hotel - amazing ocean view from their patio. I've been there twice and had a good meal both times but others have told me that they haven't so maybe try it for lunch on a sunny day, and if you like it then maybe book a dinner reservation.

Thank you friends, I will consider the suggestions. I was surfing one of the Bermudian websites the other day, where it mentions Sapori, it also said that is Michael Douglas favorite restaurant also.

Bob

I had dinner at Sapori last evening and when the owner came by our table I asked him if it was true and he said yes. He said Michael doesn't look at the menu just asks them to bring what is fresh. Our dinner was fabulous as always.

As of January 1, Harmony has changed from the AI. We have stayed there 14 times,and loved it, but the times they are a changing. Grape Bay is one of the places we considered staying this year..No cruise this year, flying again.

As for a romantic dinner ..how about Coconuts at the Reefs and get the beachfront dinner.

http://www.thereefs.com/reefs/coco_btm.html

Thanks a million for all of your suggestions. ;) I am ready to pay $$$$, I budgeted $300.00 for dinner. :eek: Jane, I saw some pictures of the Waterloo House Restaurant, and it looks just great. :) A table by the window overlooking the water is what I am looking, and yes also some great food and service.

Bob

Wow! Rich great Bermudashorts site. I loved being able to look at all the different beaches. It may make my choice of choosing which beaches to visit a little easier.

I have a question... Beach Glass Beach, I've never heard of it. Can anyone tell me where this is located and what is the story behind all the seaglass????

I would like to see this place and I'm sure my kids will get a kick out of it. They always look for seaglass here at home when we go to the beach.

We will be in Bermuda on 6/25.

thanks, Barb

We used to go looking for the glass beach along the beaches between the two forts on St. David's. I lived on that military base and remember picking up the rounded pieces of glass. My mom still has a jar full of them. We were always told they were remanents of shipwrecks, but I think they are bottles dumped at sea by the military. It was a nice story though!

June

Archived