Best Barrier Reef Snorkeling in Roatan?

rmartin1286

I'm new at snorkeling, so if this question sounds strange, please forgive me: I want to snorkel at the barrier reef while in Roatan, not just at a random place off a beach. I know this means we will have to take a boat to the reef. Does anyone have any suggestions for tour companies? I'm wanting to stay in the $50-70 range if possible. Thanks guys!

I suggest that you book a ships tour for snorkeling at Tayabana Beach where all you have to do is walk into the water from the beach & walk or swim out to the reef which is quite close.

This gets you to & from the beach & runs about $40 PP & included a nice beach chair.

You will see lots of fish here !!

Take several small cerial boxes from the breakfast buffet line to attract & feed the fish.

You will love the experience.

Bill in FL

If you are new to snorkelling, then you should do West Bay (the cruise industry calls it Tabyana beach). The reef comes within a few metres of the shore. The are channels that you can get through and out to the edge of the wall, which will really give you that "Barrier reef" feel, which is exactly what it is, it just happens to be right next to the shoreline here.

I suggest that you book a ships tour for snorkeling at Tayabana Beach where all you have to do is walk into the water from the beach & walk or swim out to the reef which is quite close.

This gets you to & from the beach & runs about $40 PP & included a nice beach chair.

You will see lots of fish here !!

Take several small cerial boxes from the breakfast buffet line to attract & feed the fish.

You will love the experience.

Bill in FL

Please, don't feed reef fish.

decal_fish_feed.JPG

I'm new at snorkeling, so if this question sounds strange, please forgive me: I want to snorkel at the barrier reef while in Roatan, not just at a random place off a beach. I know this means we will have to take a boat to the reef. Does anyone have any suggestions for tour companies? I'm wanting to stay in the $50-70 range if possible. Thanks guys!

Shore snorkeling at West Bay is some of the best available at a mass market cruise line port.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what to do with things like passports, keys, cruise cards, etc. during the snorkel? That's the one thing I'm worried about in doing my own snorkeling vs. an excursion, cause obviously I don't want someone to steal my important stuff...

Does anyone have any suggestions about what to do with things like passports, keys, cruise cards, etc. during the snorkel? That's the one thing I'm worried about in doing my own snorkeling vs. an excursion, cause obviously I don't want someone to steal my important stuff...

Aquapac - I've been using them for years for snorkeling and a few shallow scuba dives, no failures yet.

http://www.ebags.com/brand/aquapac

• 3 weeks later...
Aquapac - I've been using them for years for snorkeling and a few shallow scuba dives, no failures yet.

http://www.ebags.com/brand/aquapac

Way too late to edit but....

The only "out of the water" issues I've ever had were ripping them because I was in too much of a hurry trying to remove something from an overfilled pouch. Now I always go with a size bigger than I think I'll need.

we booked through ocean-connections.com so that me and my teenage daughters could snorkel and my husband could dive. They were great! they arranged for transport from cruise ship. We got a guided tour over the reef - one trip off the beach and one from a boat. I have snorkeled all over the Caribbean and Hawaii and this was by far the best.

• 2 weeks later...

Passport stays on ship (this is my choice) I carry a copy only. Key??? , not sure what the key is for. Cruise card, my husband carries along with his cash in an inside velcro pocket in his swim shorts along with one credit card.

Archived