Back to Back cruises

cruisequeen10

We have booked b-t-b this May on the Dream, the only stipulation with this particular cruise is the b-t-b begins in LA, ends and begins again in Vancouver BC, Canada. We will have to disembark there, clear customs and re-embark. We will not be able to keep our same cabin assignment, and all our luggage has to leave the ship. We have, however, been corresponding with a couple who will board the Dream in New Orleans sailing to LA and back to backing it from LA to Vancouver. The difference here is on their cruise, the b-t-b port is in the USA.

Does this make any sense?;)

We did b-to-b in January 2004 on the Sky with 2 different southern Caribbean itineraries. We were able to stay in the same cabin for both weeks. I believe it was the day before the end of the cruise there was a notice in the Freestyle Daily for b-to-b'ers to turn their ticket for the second week in at the Customer service desk on Deck 5. On the last day, after everyone else disembarked, we had to exit the ship and pass thru customs (this was in San Juan), circle the building and show our ship id, and re-enter. It was all pretty simple. The b-to-b cruising was wonderful! Have fun!

p.s. we were told that we could leave our luggage on the ship, but did have to present ourselves to cusoms agents.

We have booked b-t-b this May on the Dream, the only stipulation with this particular cruise is the b-t-b begins in LA, ends and begins again in Vancouver BC, Canada. We will have to disembark there, clear customs and re-embark. We will not be able to keep our same cabin assignment, and all our luggage has to leave the ship. We have, however, been corresponding with a couple who will board the Dream in New Orleans sailing to LA and back to backing it from LA to Vancouver. The difference here is on their cruise, the b-t-b port is in the USA.

Does this make any sense?;)

If I were you I would call NCL to confirm this info... If you're sailing on a back to back you do not have to disembark the ship & your luggage does not have to be removed from the ship... Also, the way you desribe the itinerary, this sounds like a violation of the Jones Act. Basically, if you embark & disembark in different US ports, the itineary must include a stop in Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao, or a port in Columbia (i.e. San Andre, Cartagena, etc.). You should talk to NCL or your t/a about this b/c if you are in violation you will probably have to decide which sailing you really want b/c you will have to cancel one of them.

http://www.trans-inst.org/3.html

Can anyone enlighten me on NCL's procedure for this.

We did this back in 2002 aboard the Sky, which is now Pride of Aloha, on it's alternating caribbean itineraries out of San Juan. At the time, we booked the first week, and then added a second week when prices took a nose dive.

We did not have to take our luggage off the ship, nor did we have to leave if we didn't want to. Basically, we waited in our old room until the new room was ready for us and moved our stuff over once they gave us the "OK". Once we moved, we received our new keycards and such and left the ship to explore Old San Juan. It helped us to talk to the folks at the reception desk later in the first week so that they knew about it and could accomodate us as such. There were quite a few people on that cruise who did go back to back as I recall. It was really fun :)

We are doing a b2b in a few weeks, our first on NCL. We have done several on other lines. The only difference so far is that we have one booking number for both cruises but two tickets. Will be interesting to see how NCL handles things. Back to back's are wonderful!

We are doing a b2b in a few weeks, our first on NCL. We have done several on other lines. The only difference so far is that we have one booking number for both cruises but two tickets. Will be interesting to see how NCL handles things. Back to back's are wonderful!

With NCL, if you are booked in the same cabin for both sailings, then they only have 1 reservation, it does reflect both sailings though.

... Basically, if you embark & disembark in different US ports, the itineary must include a stop in Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao, or a port in Columbia (i.e. San Andre, Cartagena, etc.). You should talk to NCL or your t/a about this b/c if you are in violation you will probably have to decide which sailing you really want b/c you will have to cancel one of them.

I cannot, for the life of me figure out how you think a back to back cruise is a violation of the Jones' Act. Could you please explain?

I cannot, for the life of me figure out how you think a back to back cruise is a violation of the Jones' Act. Could you please explain?

Maybe you are misunderstanding... I am not saying all back to backs are in violation of the Jones Act- What I am saying is the back to back cruise that JACKWC is talking about begins in a different US port then it disembarks in, therefore unless the ship docks in one of the ports that I previously mentioned during the sailing, this back to back is in violation of the Jones Act (formerly known as the Passenger Services Vessel Act). Please feel free to contact NCL if you'd like to confirm.

niya is right, to the best of my knowledge. The Jones Act is a quirky, weird, senseless thing that is full of odd rules & specifics. I've been told on a FEW different b2b's i've attempted that there were potential Jones violations. It's best to ask specifically about the cruises you're planning.

If I were you I would call NCL to confirm this info... If you're sailing on a back to back you do not have to disembark the ship & your luggage does not have to be removed from the ship... Also, the way you desribe the itinerary, this sounds like a violation of the Jones Act. Basically, if you embark & disembark in different US ports, the itineary must include a stop in Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao, or a port in Columbia (i.e. San Andre, Cartagena, etc.). You should talk to NCL or your t/a about this b/c if you are in violation you will probably have to decide which sailing you really want b/c you will have to cancel one of them.

they said that the first cruise goes from LA to Vancouver. They will need to get off with their luggage and clear Customs (because the middle port is foreign). Then, they'll get back on and take the second cruise which I think is the Alaska run... though they never said they were ending up in a different US port than they started so they might go back to LA for all I know. I'm guessing that whoever told them about needing to switch rooms, have their luggage taken off etc, knows the rules... but in any case, wouldn't the Canadian stop fulfill the Jones act requirements?:confused:

Also, they are taking two separate voyages, as they are removing themselves from the ship with their belongings clearing customs and then re-embarking, so the Jones act doesn't apply to the best of my understanding. I agree, they should check to make certain... but I think they're okay...

they said that the first cruise goes from LA to Vancouver. They will need to get off with their luggage and clear Customs (because the middle port is foreign). Then, they'll get back on and take the second cruise which I think is the Alaska run... though they never said they were ending up in a different US port than they started so they might go back to LA for all I know. I'm guessing that whoever told them about needing to switch rooms, have their luggage taken off etc, knows the rules... but in any case, wouldn't the Canadian stop fulfill the Jones act requirements?:confused:

Also, they are taking two separate voyages, as they are removing themselves from the ship with their belongings clearing customs and then re-embarking, so the Jones act doesn't apply to the best of my understanding. I agree, they should check to make certain... but I think they're okay...

1. The 1st cruise they are sailing on is from LA to Vancouver (it does not matter where that sailing goes, when doing a back to back on NCL, passengers do not have to disembark, clear customs, & re-embark).

2. The second half of the back to back is form Vancouver to Seattle (this is why I said the cruise begins in 1 US port & ends in another)

3. Canada does not fulfill the Jones Act requirements... As I wrote in a previous reply the ship will have to stop in either Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao, or Columbia if Embark/Disembark ports are different US cities....

Due to NCL's international exposure, it is important that all passengers are familiar with this act and its regulations in many foreign countries, as well as being familiar with the embark/debark policies in the United States.

UNITED STATES:

The Jones Act (formerly known as the Passenger Services Vessel Act)comes into effect when a passenger boards the ship in one U.S. port, then disembarks in a different U.S. port. i.e., the passenger wants to join the ship after the scheduled embarkation port or the passenger wants to get off the ship at a port other than the scheduled disembarkation port.

If the embarkation and debarkation ports are different U.S. ports, the ship must touch one of the following ports while the passenger is on board: Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao or Columbia (e.g. San Andres, Cartagena).

If the ship does not call on one of these ports, the passengers will not be permitted to board.

Well obviously they're taking 2 separate cruises, that's why it's a back to back... But if you've ever noticed when a ship does a repo cruise (i.e. Panama Canal- Miami to LA- 1 of the ports of call will be one of those that I previouls mentioned b/c, again, the cruise begins in 1 US port & ends in another). Again, I reitirate, the passengers do not have to disembark & re-embark, as you can see other cc'ers have agreed & done previously.

But I don't understand...

I get it with the repo cruises, since that is one trip, and thanks for the info on which countries count. But, because they are two different voyages, why does it involve the Jones act at all? I don't understand why this is any different than taking the first cruise, waiting a month then taking the second... in reality you would be transported the same distance by the same ship.:confused:

Perhaps they've been given mis-information, but I'm guessing (and it is just a guess) that this is why they have to take their stuff off... they mentioned that this is an anomally with repo cruises (so past cruisers experience doesn't really matter), and I'm thinking that perhaps if the Jones act IS involved, then this is why the anomally.

I certainly don't have any experience to draw any conclusions from, just going on my own understanding (or rather misunderstanding) I don't see why this is a problem.

My wife and I just completed, a week or so ago, back-to-back cruises on NCL. We did a five day from Miami to Miami and then a nine day from Miami to Miami, with numbers of Caribbean stops in between on both cruises. Our NCL tickets included both cruises on the same tickets. Our key cards were labeled, "Cruising and staying on-board".

We did not have to leave our cabin at all during the turnover from one cruise to another. The Daily Freestyle did say that we had to go through customs but our Concierge told us that if we were not getting off in Miami (we were not) we didn't even have to do that. The changeover went flawlessly. Presumably the changeover occurring in th U.S. did contribute to that.

Wow! This Jones Act certainly is a confusing issue. How bizarre that there is actually a "list of ports" that are required. I'm guessing that because of the possible Jones Act problem, they are being forced to disembark the vessel, go through customs, and then reboard.

I'd be calling NCL and confirming what's necessary if I were taking this particular back to back journey.

Whodathunk a vacation could be so much trouble?

When two back-to-back cruises connect at a foreign port I assume the Jones Act is irrelevant, but what debarkation requirements might be required by customs laws?

I'm doing a back-to-back on the Jewel's Baltic cruise departing/returning at Dover, then continuing on the transAtlantic cruise Dover to N.Y.C., all under a single reservation. Under these curcumstances, I presume British regulations will determine whether disembarcation with full-dress customs clearance is required at the mid-point (ship's return to Dover from first cruise segment).

I understand all of the confusion, but it's really pretty simple... Even though these passengers were told to disembark & re-embark (which is, again, incorrect info), they are still the same people traveling on 2 consecutive cruises, combining them into 1... So, again, maybe they should just call NCL & confirm b/c I'm now frustrated beyond my mind @ explaining the issue!:eek:

* As far as the guest traveling on the Jewel r/t Dover & then Dover-NYC, the Jones Act definitely does not apply b/c the original cruise begins in Dover, not a US port other than NYC.

My husband and I are taking the Pac. Coastal on the Sun on 5/3, then the first Alaska trip on 5/8 from Vancouver to Vancouver. I just called NCL to confirm that we would not have to get off or take our luggage anywhere. They said we would just be checked in onboard for the Alaska cruise. We have the same room for both cruises. I had asked when I booked the cruise and was told the same thing. I booked it direct with NCL.

My husband and I are taking the Pac. Coastal on the Sun on 5/3, then the first Alaska trip on 5/8 from Vancouver to Vancouver. I just called NCL to confirm that we would not have to get off or take our luggage anywhere. They said we would just be checked in onboard for the Alaska cruise. We have the same room for both cruises. I had asked when I booked the cruise and was told the same thing. I booked it direct with NCL.

Right... the reason your back to back cruises are not in violation of the Jones Act is because the 1st half begins in LA & the 2nd sailing ends in Vancouver (which is not a US city last I checked.).

Archived