4 Hours in Vancouver

We will be in Vancouver on the last stop of our 7 day Alaskan cruise next month. We are scheduled to be in port from 7:00 pm - 12 midnight. Please give me some suggestions on some must see sites considering the time restraints. I've not been to Vancouver, but hear it is a beautiful town.

That would be my guess as well - since cruises that end in Vancouver arrive in the morning and depart at the supper hour - probably is confused since Victoria is on Vancouver Island.

If it is Victoria by the time you get off the ship you won`t have a lot of time - while you could walk into town - a little over a mile it will take a good 30 minutes - grab the shuttle, taxi or as ScottBee would recommend the city bus into town - the inner harbour is a fun place to spend a couple of hours exploring - Victoria is our capital City and our Parliament buildings are there and will be all lit up at night - attached a picture of it at night from my last cruise stop there in Sept 09

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

897410483_VictoriaSept52009037.jpg.c7fcd361ce2f4d9df6da16d5ded6079a.jpg

We will be in Vancouver on the last stop of our 7 day Alaskan cruise next month. We are scheduled to be in port from 7:00 pm - 12 midnight. Please give me some suggestions on some must see sites considering the time restraints. I've not been to Vancouver, but hear it is a beautiful town.

You likely mean Victoria (small city - metro population 330,000), which is located on Vancouver Island; not the City of Vancouver (which is about 75 miles -- across a 20 mile straight away).

A taxi for the 4 of us was $8.50 Can. when we went from the ship at Ogden Point pier to the Empress Hotel downtown on July 4th. Our ship was late getting to Victoria and we only had from 9:00 pm to 11:30 pm to be back on board to sail at Midnight. We just walked around downtown, the Parliament Building and a couple souvenir shops before taking a taxi back to the ship. Not much was open that late, I did buy a small art print from an artist set up by the inner habour. Victoria is very pretty at night, but I can't wait to go back for longer.

My Brother in Law and his wife went to Victoria before our cruise and did Butchart Gardens and afternoon tea at the Empress Hotel. His favourite thing however was Miniature World which is attached to the Empress Hotel. Sounds cheesy, but if it had been open when we were there he thought we should see it.

With only 4/5 hours in Victoria an independent excursion out to Butchart Gardens is not recommended; with those time constraints it best to do it with a ship's sponsored excursion.

Something that I have always enjoyed in Victoria are the buskers that perform in the evenings on the causeway way across the street from the Empress Hotel. There are a couple of horse drawn carriage excursions that can be had or perhaps a self guided walking tour or a pub crawl in the downtown area.

http://www.victoria.ca/visitors/wlkngt.shtml

www.victoriacarriage.com/

http://www.tallyhotours.com/

http://www.causewayartists.ca/[url=http://www.causewayartists.ca/welcome.html][/url]

Archived