Prinsendam Cabins Input......

Kween Karen

I am booked on the Grand Med/Black Sea in March of 2012 in one of the inside M cabins on the Prinsendam.....I sailed in this cabin previously and it was tiny but fine for one person.

QUESTION: I have a friend who is going to book this trip and share the cabin with me (YEA! BUT.......) I am thinking this cabin is really tiny for 2 people. I am looking at possibly moving up to the outside/porthole cabin and I can't tell from HAL's diagrams if these cabins are also tiny........ Please help me with input into the size of these cabins. Thanks ahead of time.

Karen

I am booked on the Grand Med/Black Sea in March of 2012 in one of the inside M cabins on the Prinsendam.....I sailed in this cabin previously and it was tiny but fine for one person.

QUESTION: I have a friend who is going to book this trip and share the cabin with me (YEA! BUT.......) I am thinking this cabin is really tiny for 2 people. I am looking at possibly moving up to the outside/porthole cabin and I can't tell from HAL's diagrams if these cabins are also tiny........ Please help me with input into the size of these cabins. Thanks ahead of time.

Karen

We were in Oceanview E314 Main Deck. Our neighbors were in F312 with a porthole. If there stateroom was smaller, it wasn't by much. And I think the size of their stateroom had more to due with the fact that they had a shower.

Our room was the same size as the Verandah obviously without the Verandah. F312 is nice stateroom. And I imagine the H's and the G's are similar size.

It is generally very quiet in the staterooms from the atrium forward. Just becareful of the ones closest to the bow as they probably will have noise from raising and lowering the anchor in the morning.

Have fun on your cruise. Hope you will post one of your fabulous Cruise blogs after the cruise. That is what one couple on the Prinsendam Grand Mediterranean Cruise did in 2010. They had planned to post as they went, but like you they realized that it was impossible to do---not enough sea days. So they posted each day as they wrote it up after the cruise had ended.

http://www.pamandsteve.com/index.php?p=1_16_Fort-Lauderdale

Have a great cruise.

If you can handle the anchor noise, it looks like H400, H401, H402, H403 are among the largest Oceanview Staterooms. You will also get more movement there, but I don't imagine you would have a problem with that.

Our cabin 463 had a sheet of plexiglass covering the window (which jutted out several inches). Does anyone know if all of the outside cabins on this deck have the plexiglass over the window? I smashed my nose into it more times than I care to remember, trying to see out the window at an angle. We will be in 443 in less than a month!

Not all the outside dolphin deck cabins have the plexiglass -- just the ones near the stern (we had the plexiglass in 479 in 2007 and again in 382 on the main deck this past spring -- both of these cabins were category E cabins assigned to us by guarantees). The plastic is not confined to the dolphin deck.

But ... Category E mid ship dolphin deck cabins do not have the plexiglass -- we had none in 445 last summer, and I believe that the cabins in the 450's also do not have any plexiglass. Possibly if you call HAL and ask they can tell you if a particular cabin has the plexiglass. Not only does one hit their head on it when trying to look out the window, there is no window sill upon which to store books and towel animals.

Our cabin 463 had a sheet of plexiglass covering the window (which jutted out several inches). Does anyone know if all of the outside cabins on this deck have the plexiglass over the window? I smashed my nose into it more times than I care to remember, trying to see out the window at an angle. We will be in 443 in less than a month!

YES, they do. I too smashed my nose.

I do know that the outside cabins across the passageway from the M-category cabins on the Prinsendam are significantly larger than those M-cabins. Although those inside cabins have held many a two-some, they are tight for two.

Do be sure that the beds can be separated. The shower cabins on Upper Promenade deck could not be split as the only nightstand had to be between the side of the bed and the bathroom/closet. The other side of the bed abutted the sofa. The tub cabins looked like they could be split, as there were two nightstands.

I don't know if the Dolphin Deck is the same, but the question is worth asking.

We had 470 - if I remember rightly -with the plexiglass - woudn't book there again - we had diesel fumes in the room every port day.

when we got back we contacted HAL about this and they said the plexiglass was to try to stop the fumes from coming into the cabins - didn't work in our cabin - think it was just on the port side and from the middle to back.

the cabin was smaller than we were used to on other HAL ships - if you look at the books showing the cabins you will notice that one room is slightly larger than the other - we were glad to have that as when you open the door to the other room the bed is right there. With our room the door opened to the foot of the beds.

We were on Dolphin deck and had twin beds.

We have spent 83 days on the Prinsendam in the past 15 months and love the ship despite its many "issues." Unlike most newer ships, there is an amazing variance between cabins....even within the same booking class. For example, last year we had a porthole cabin (409) which had plenty of room, a sofa, peeling paint, etc. This year we booked a higher category outside cabin (with a window) which was actually smaller, had no sofa (not enough room), no walk-in closet, etc. You might want to consider moving up to one of the porthole cabins which usually do not cost a lot more then the insides.

Hank

Not meaning to hijack, but while this thread is quiet and there are some Prinsendam experts handy I'd welcome comments on the Lower Promenade K-category inside cabins. I have them booked for 2 upcoming grand voyages. I do travel solo, so am thinking they will be ok.

My adult daughter and I were in 282 last summer for 3 weeks. It was pretty cramped for two and I would not do that again but for a solo it should be ok. Our bathroom had no tub, just a shower. There was ample closet space. There was only one straight chair to sit on so mostly we had to sit on the beds. The space was too small for a table so when we had room service, the tray had to be placed on one of the beds and we also needed to be perched on the beds to eat.

I spent less time in the cabin on this cruise than any I have ever been on. Usually, on sea days, I like to read and have quiet stateroom time. This cabin was too claustrophobic to spend very much time in. If you like to be out and about the ship most of the time, you should be fine.

The location of the room was very convenient to all areas of the ship and especially quick to get out on deck.

Thanks.....yes....I spent about 50 days in cabin 510....VERY tiny but it was fine for me as a solo. Thanks for the input about 2......don't plan to spend much time in the cabin at all...........I guess my friend and I will give it a try.....stepping up to a higher level adds a lot to the cost of the trip. YIKES>...might change my mind the more I think about it though.

We had 470 - if I remember rightly -with the plexiglass - woudn't book there again - we had diesel fumes in the room every port day.

when we got back we contacted HAL about this and they said the plexiglass was to try to stop the fumes from coming into the cabins - didn't work in our cabin - think it was just on the port side and from the middle to back.

the cabin was smaller than we were used to on other HAL ships - if you look at the books showing the cabins you will notice that one room is slightly larger than the other - we were glad to have that as when you open the door to the other room the bed is right there. With our room the door opened to the foot of the beds.

We were on Dolphin deck and had twin beds.

At least some of the cabins at the aft end of Dolphin and Main deck on the starboard side also have the plexiglass over the window. (When I had such a category E cabin, I did not notice any unusual odor, however). I did visit a category E cabin further forward that did not have the plexiglass.

Archived