Belize's Best Excursions

Don't know what cruiseline you and your family are sailing, but Belize is famous for cave-tubing and Mayan ruins excursions. Check it out on the Port-of-Call (Caribbean) boards -- lots of information over there!

We are going on Carnival Legend. My mom said she isn't into doing the cave-tubing , but I really want to do the Mayan ruins. It'd be a great thing to show to my friends! :p

yes do some research on the ports of call board. dont just go into the city of belize, not a good idea. cave tubing is amazing, zip lining too:D the mayan ruins are pretty good near the port, better in the interior of coarse but too far too go. there is also the belize zoo, but the ruins are better.

The cave tubing excursion was and still is one of the best we've ever done. I was reluctant at first but after researching the caves through actual pictures decided to go for it and I'm so glad I did. It was awesome!

We took an all-day ship's excursion to see the Mayan ruins at Lamanai.The excursion included a bus to the boat landing for a "river safari" up the New River to the archeological park. There was a very nice buffet lunch provided in a picnic area before the guided tour of the ruins. DH got to climb to the top of one of the pyramids (while I stayed below on Terra Firma). Then it was back down the New River to meet the bus for the return trip.

Normally I'm a big proponent of private tours but I'm glad we booked this excursion through the ship due to its length. We were on the first tender off the ship in the morning and on the last tender back to the ship late in the day.

Does anyone know what Belize's best excursions are? I'm going with my mom & dad , we wanted to know the funnest , and just overall best excursions that my whole family will enjoy.

Thanks! ♥:p

We did a combination excursion in Belize that was great. First we went to the Mayan ruins at Altun Ha, then stopped for a lunch break and finished with a river safari ride back to the bay. Our boat captain then opened it wide open and we flew/bounced across the bay. The whole day was wonderful.

Hello??

Welcome. I noticed that your second post was very shortly after your first with a query. I wanted to make sure you know that this is not a live chat forum, so it can take hours (and sometimes a day or two) before you get responses.

For your original question, "best" is entirely too subjective to give you a definitive answer. I noticed several members mentioned that cave tubing is the absolute best thing to do, but since your mother will not do it, it's certainly not "best" for your family.

Sounds like the Mayan ruins might be good for you. Check the port-specific forum and also consider getting a guidebook for Belize because it will have many options and various ways of doing things.

Hope you have a wonderful time.

beachchick

We are also going on Carnival Legend on 10/2, probably with the same ports of call that you have. Have you looked into the roll call section yet? We found that several of our new Cruise Critic buddies have been on this cruise before and you'll find loads of recommendations there. You might also check out trip adviser.com for attractions and reviews. The Mayan ruins are really something to see but there is quite a bit of walking involved - wear comfortable shoes, bring bottled water and dress for a tropical climate.

Whatever you should decide I wish you smooth seas and a very memorable trip! :D

We took an all-day ship's excursion to see the Mayan ruins at Lamanai.The excursion included a bus to the boat landing for a "river safari" up the New River to the archeological park. There was a very nice buffet lunch provided in a picnic area before the guided tour of the ruins. DH got to climb to the top of one of the pyramids (while I stayed below on Terra Firma). Then it was back down the New River to meet the bus for the return trip.

Normally I'm a big proponent of private tours but I'm glad we booked this excursion through the ship due to its length. We were on the first tender off the ship in the morning and on the last tender back to the ship late in the day.

I wholeheartedly agree. Lamanai was my favorite of the three Mayan sites I've been to. If you have any interest at all in this subject, I highly recommend this tour. The place has a real Indiana Jones feel to it. Just be aware, it's a pretty long day. The bus ride is something like an hour each way from the port at Belize City up to the New River landing (it's immediately to the south of Orange Walk, if you're looking at a map), and then it's another hour each way on the boat. You'll have several hours at the ruins.

I also agree with polySeraph that this is definitely a tour that you want to do through a ship's excursion. If your tour is late getting back to the port, the ship will wait for you; or if it flat-out can't wait, the cruise line will be responsible for getting you to the next port of call, at their expense. If you go on a private tour and miss the ship, you're on your own.

That said, I wouldn't stress about missing the ship. The tour operators are very well aware of what time it is, and they're used to meeting the ship's schedules. But there's always a chance something might happen (a big accident closes the highway, for instance), and since there's not much margin of error for a tour of this duration, taking the ship's tour is a good insurance policy.

Archived