Carnival Glory Review: 7/16/11-7/21/11 Halifax and St. John

daisitroy

:D

Review of Carnival Glory 7/16/11-7/21/11

Just returned from a great cruise on the Carnival Glory to Canada (7/16/11-7/21/11). Overall, it was a fantastic and relaxing time. This was my fourth Carnival Cruise and second for this itinerary. Will try to highlight both good and bad (although there really was not much to complain about as far as I am concerned). Please note this is based upon the experience my family and I shared on this particular trip, others may have had differing experiences!

Highlights:

Day 1:

Embarkation:

Arrived on Saturday at the Port in NYC. It was very crowded and the lines for check in were long, but it must be noted we arrived a bit later in the morning than in the past (about 11:30) and a NCL ship was also leaving from that particular terminal. (88). We waited about 30-40 minutes for check in but once we got out sign and sail cards we were able to board ship right away. Didn't have to wait for zone to be called as in previous sailings.

Once on board we proceeded to the Red Sail Buffet for lunch. Lines were long but moved. Dining area was clean and staff was friendly. At 1:30, we were allowed in the rooms. Met the cabin steward Calvert. We were on the main deck in an ocean view room 2286.

Emergency drill was held and it seemed easier not having to bring life jackets.

Went to a talk about the ship and the guide actually walked the group through the ship to see the different levels and where different places were located. Try the Iced Moccachino from the Crèmes Cafe-it is extra but delicious and worth it!

We had early seating dining in the lower level of the Platinum Dining Room. Met our wait staff: Michael, Eco, and Iwayan. We were a party of 6 and had a table to ourselves. Throughout the week, the food was wonderful. As I am a picky eater, I was always able to find something to eat and there was never any meal that I regretted ordering.

Day 2:

Sea Day: Participated in the trivia games and went to the onboard talk about the shore excursions. Spent time in the Serenity Lounge. We were there early so we did get a POD that was quite comfortable. Could have stayed there all day. Throughout the week, the Serenity Lounge was our place to go to relax and just snooze or read. Lots of lounge chairs and some sofas in an area, which was shaded.

The entertainment on Day 2 was a tribute to America. Lots of enthusiasm. Nice music, very energetic, typical musical revue one might find at a local theatre or amusement park.

Day 3:

Halifax:

We did the City/Harbor Tour and Duck Boat tour. The guide was wonderful and very knowledgeable about the city of Halifax and its history. The city tour drove through the Citadel and highlighted different attractions in the town. The Harbor /Duck Boat toured the waterfront area. We walked around the Harbor area and did some shopping. We had ice cream at a place called Cows. Very good!

The show that night was the Illusion show. Very loud and very sexually suggestive. Not sure if it would be considered appropriate for young children. We saw some families leave. The Illusions were good; maybe there should have been a family friendly version and an adult version like they do with the comedy shows.

Day 4:

St. John

Having been there previously, we just walked around and shopped. We went to the Market Square and the City Market, which is a giant Farmers Market. We had lunch at one of the restaurants in the Market Square called Grammans. Good Lobster sandwich.

Tonight's show was a revue of rock and roll music from the 60's through the 80's. Some of the songs would not be considered rock, but the performers were amazing.

Day 5:

Sea Day

Just a relaxing day. Serenity Spa, Lounging on deck and in the promenade area. Taking it easy kind of day.

Last Day:

Disembarkation:

We were assigned zones for disembarkation. We waited in the theatre for our zone to be called. They would several zones at once and then wait about 30-45 minutes before calling another set of zones. Once off the ship we were directed to the zone number to pick up the luggage but it had been delivered to another area. It just seemed very chaotic this time around.

Food/Dining:

Food was great. We ate in the dining room every night for dinner: Some of the highlights: Amaretto Cake, Enchiladas, Corn Chowder Soup, Shrimp Cocktail, Any Pasta Dish, The Lasagna was delicious, and The Turkey with noodles in a cheese sauce. Those are just some of the meals I remember. We had burritos one day from the Red Sail Area-made to order and very good. Always said I would get another one but never got a chance. Chocolate Buffet one afternoon in the buffet area. Not just chocolate but other types of desserts also. So much food, so little time! How anyone goes hungry is beyond me!

I usually had eggs from the buffet for breakfast.

Cleanliness:

Overall, the ship was clean. The steward gave our room impeccable service. We would leave and return several times and the room would be clean. In the buffet area sometimes, one would wait for the attendants to remove the dirty dishes from a table. They still used the trays in the buffet as I had read on an earlier post some ships had stopped using the trays in lieu of bigger dishes.

Staff:

Staff was courteous and friendly. Everyone we encountered went out of their way to be helpful.

Bottom line: A great time was had by my family on this trip and we would sail Carnival again, and sail the Glory again and do this itinerary again.

I would be happy to answer specific questions to the best of my ability.

Thanks to all the previous posters. You helped make my wait for this trip easier! Time to plan the next one.

Happy Cruising!

Dot

Is the Serenity Lounge free? I would assume it's Adult only?

We leave in 2 days !! I just took a break from packing to check the boards and lo and behold I find a beautiful review of the ship I'm sailing on in only 2 days ! (Oh, I said that already, didn't I !)

We leave in 2 days !! I just took a break from packing to check the boards and lo and behold I find a beautiful review of the ship I'm sailing on in only 2 days ! (Oh, I said that already, didn't I !)

DENNAS, the Serenity area is free (except for the bar) and it is adult only. Enjoy your cruise!

How was the weather? We leave in 10 days and am wondering if my grandson will get to use the pool much. Glad you enjoyed yourselves!!

For the most part the weather was between 60-70, one day was close to 80. I always saw kids in the pool no matter what the weather. Have a great time.

Dot

The Serenity lounge is free, and child free! If you want bar drinks that costs money. Enjoy your trip. I am envious.

Dot

Thanks for your great review!! Always nice to get an honest review--the good and bad. I'm personally hoping to snatch one of those POD's and Kindle away!! ")

I saw lots of people with their Kindles. I wished I had thought to bring mine. Enjoy your cruise!

Dot

Archived