Please Consider Before You Book Your Dolphin Excursion!

daveemjoshjake

You sound like a PETA supporter all hype and no substance.

Said the pot to the kettle. Actually, I've never given PETA a dime. However I do believe in what they stand for. I like to go to bed at night knowing that I haven't taken advantage of other living things just because I can. You probably like going to bed wearing your baby seal skin boots. Sleep well, karma's a b**ch.

Wow, I am majorly against animal cruelty and I've never had the opportunity to swim with dolphins so I have never really thought about the cruelty they have faced during their lives. Thankyou for bringing this to my attention as swimming with dolphins is something I would have considered in the future.

Thanks for starting this thread Dave, I would like to add some additional points that dolphinarium owners never mention.

53% of those dolphins who survive the violent capture and screening process die within 90 days.

Any dolphins that do not resemble "Flipper" are slaughtered so they are not captured again.

The average life span of a dolphin in the wild is 45 years; yet half of all captured dolphins die within their first two years of captivity. The survivors last an average of only 5 years in captivity.

Every seven years, half of all dolphins in captivity die from capture shock, pneumonia, intestinal disease, ulcers, chlorine poisoning, and other stress-related illnesses. To the captive dolphin industry, these facts are accepted as routine operating expenses.

In many tanks the water is full of chemicals and steroids as well as bacteria, causing many health problems in dolphins including blindness.

Wild dolphins can swim 40 to 100 miles per day - in pools they go around in circles.

Marine parks subject their mammals to hunger so they will perform for their food. Jumping through hoops, tailwalking and playing ball are trained behaviors that do not occur in the wild.

Dolphinariums claim that their mission is to protect dolphins in the wild through research and public education. Those are nice words but facts speak louder. If dolphins are so happy in captivity, why do they die so fast? Why the secrecy about their mortality rates? There would be fewer spectators if people knew how many animals were "dying" to amuse them. Perhaps if the death records were displayed at the entrance, no one would buy a ticket.

These are the facts, they are indisputable, the choice to believe is yours to make.

Thanks for starting this thread Dave, I would like to add some additional points that dolphinarium owners never mention.

53% of those dolphins who survive the violent capture and screening process die within 90 days.

Any dolphins that do not resemble "Flipper" are slaughtered so they are not captured again.

The average life span of a dolphin in the wild is 45 years; yet half of all captured dolphins die within their first two years of captivity. The survivors last an average of only 5 years in captivity.

Every seven years, half of all dolphins in captivity die from capture shock, pneumonia, intestinal disease, ulcers, chlorine poisoning, and other stress-related illnesses. To the captive dolphin industry, these facts are accepted as routine operating expenses.

In many tanks the water is full of chemicals and steroids as well as bacteria, causing many health problems in dolphins including blindness.

Wild dolphins can swim 40 to 100 miles per day - in pools they go around in circles.

Marine parks subject their mammals to hunger so they will perform for their food. Jumping through hoops, tailwalking and playing ball are trained behaviors that do not occur in the wild.

Dolphinariums claim that their mission is to protect dolphins in the wild through research and public education. Those are nice words but facts speak louder. If dolphins are so happy in captivity, why do they die so fast? Why the secrecy about their mortality rates? There would be fewer spectators if people knew how many animals were "dying" to amuse them. Perhaps if the death records were displayed at the entrance, no one would buy a ticket.

These are the facts, they are indisputable, the choice to believe is yours to make.

Can you please give a citation for these facts? And preferably a legitimate, impartial citation? Thanks.

The problem I have with that "video" is it is NOT of a dolphin capture for amusement parks it is of a whale hunt for food. These groups post these videos for outrage purposes to further their cause. While their cause is a noble one they would get a LOT more support if they didn't use subterfuge and misleading videos as a way to do it.

The actual truth is the USA outlawed LIVE capture of marine mammals back in the early 1990s through the Marine Mammal Protection Act for entertainment purposes. Captive breeding is the ONLY way reputable parks obtain their animals and parks like Atlantis and this one utilize captive breeding not live capture. Does it take longer: yes. Is there a higher mortality rate? Yes. But only unscrupulous programs buy from poachers.

The second issue is the picture of the dolphin with the beach balls is CLEARLY photo shopped. If you want my support use real pictures.

Last: do I think marine mammals in parks are happy? No. I have done trainer for a day at Seaworld and been to Discovery Cove and based on what I know about these HIGHLY intelligent animals I believe these parks should be outlawed because these are animals that live in extended family groups for a lifetime that travel hundreds if not thousands of miles per day in the ocean. I don't care how large the tank is made or how "natural" the environment or how much enrichment play the keepers give them, studies show they live one third the natural life span in captivity. That is NOT natural. Hence the need for captive breeding to replace them. No matter how much conservation or public education the parks claim to be doing they can do it without captivity of the animals.

If this group want support for their cause they should seek it honestly and not with propaganda and lies.

I completely agree. I consider myself an animal lover, and I thank the OP for bringing this to light. I will certainly make me think twice about patronizing one of these "dolphin encounter" companies.

But the website that the OP is using as factual support is ridiculous. An actual, scientific report without propaganda and sensationalistic wording will go A LOT further in bringing people to your side than this website will.

I won't begin to say that I know anything about these dolphin encounters, because I don't, but I do work closely with the USDA and many larger beef feedlots - and I do know that a "certain animal rights group (who has already been mentioned in the thread)" has put out many sensationalistic videos of cattle being pushed to slaughter by a forklift, skinned alive, etc. While I can't say these thing never happen, I can guarantee that it is a very, very rare occurrence if it does. And it is disingenuous for these animal-rights groups to "fire" people up by insinuating that this happens constantly, and that all slaughterhouse employees hate all animals. It's just not true.

And by the wording and pictures/videos on the given website - I would be willing to bet that this group is using the same over-the-top tactics.

Like I said, I thank the OP for posting this, and I will likely never give money to one of these companies again because of the possibility of this, but to cite a website such as the one given - it only hurts your case.

I completely agree. I consider myself an animal lover, and I thank the OP for bringing this to light. I will certainly make me think twice about patronizing one of these "dolphin encounter" companies.

But the website that the OP is using as factual support is ridiculous. An actual, scientific report without propaganda and sensationalistic wording will go A LOT further in bringing people to your side than this website will.

I won't begin to say that I know anything about these dolphin encounters, because I don't, but I do work closely with the USDA and many larger beef feedlots - and I do know that a "certain animal rights group (who has already been mentioned in the thread)" has put out many sensationalistic videos of cattle being pushed to slaughter by a forklift, skinned alive, etc. While I can't say these thing never happen, I can guarantee that it is a very, very rare occurrence if it does. And it is disingenuous for these animal-rights groups to "fire" people up by insinuating that this happens constantly, and that all slaughterhouse employees hate all animals. It's just not true.

And by the wording and pictures/videos on the given website - I would be willing to bet that this group is using the same over-the-top tactics.

Like I said, I thank the OP for posting this, and I will likely never give money to one of these companies again because of the possibility of this, but to cite a website such as the one given - it only hurts your case.

Thanks for your reply! I really do appreciate the fact that you didn't go into attack mode the way certain others have done just because you saw problems with my original post. I appreciate your honesty and your non-confrontational demeanor!

I just want to make it clear that I am not trying to make a 'case' and I'm certainly not telling anybody what they should believe. The purpose of this thread is to get people thinking, researching and acting, if they so choose. I absolutely DID NOT want this to become all about me spouting facts and denouncing those who do not agree with them. That just wasn't my intent. I stated that by no means did I claim to know all the facts, and after lots more research on the topic, I STILL don't claim to have all the facts ;) I do, however, stand by the fact that this atrocity does happen and I will never frequent dolphin parks as a result.

I added a link that I had seen and was disturbed by. That's it. I never once declared it to be anything more than that. Yes, looking back it's hokey, and perhaps a bit sensational, but at the core of it, the website does have some merit. It must, otherwise I wouldn't have been inspired to go on to learn as much as I have about the subject of dolphin (and whale) round-ups. If I could, I'd include a link to the movie "The Cove" instead, but I've yet to find a free online version that didn't involve jumping through hoops and a 1st born child soooooo.....

Thank you again for your thoughts and your "cool head!" I really do appreciate it! :)

Okay, for those who are interested in learning more about this subject I am including some more links for you to check out.

For those of you who are not interested and/or disagree, let me save you the trouble of getting all worked up by telling you DO NOT BOTHER clicking on these links. The main reason I'm even doing this is because of all the grief I've gotten about the link I included in my original post.

All that being said, make of these what you will....

http://www.dosomething.org/tipsandtools/11-facts-about-dolphin-hunts

http://www.allaboutwildlife.com/dolphins-whales/dolphin-slaughter-continues/4947

http://www.takepart.com/news/2010/08/31/the-cove-still-open-for-slaughter-dolphin-hunting-season-begins-in-japan

http://www.savejapandolphins.org/ (Having trouble with this one but will hopefully be up and running soon.)

http://animal.discovery.com/videos/blood-dolphins/

So. There you go. I am not endorsing any particular group or organization and I have absolutely no affiliations with any of the groups mentioned on any of these sites. I'm not trying to "rile" anyone up. I'm simply trying to provide more complete/legitimate information for those who wanted me to. Again, I have no desire to debate the subject, so please just take from these links what you will. Thanks for your time!

I really want to thank all those of you who have replied positively to this thread with the same concerns that I have about these incredibly disturbing dolphin and whale round-ups. As far as I'm concerned, every outraged voice can and will make a difference.

Many of you have thanked me for starting this thread. While I really do appreciate it, I'd rather we all showed our gratitude to those who are out there "on the front lines" so to speak, defending these creatures day in and day out. I just wish I had the guts to live my life the way they do! They, in my opinion, are true heroes.

All my best to you and thanks for caring! :D

• 3 weeks later...

The OP is correct. "The Cove" is true, and while the majority of the dolphins they capture are sold as meat, they do sell dolphings to "amusement parks". I can't remember if it is on the documentary or not but they do have footage of these monsters selling dolphins to people who are going to use them for entertainment. There are, however, some dolphin encounter excursions where the dolphins are what I call free range. They come and go as they please. I am still looking at excursions for my first upcoming cruise but I do not that so far none of the dolphin encounters I have seen say if they are free dolphins so I will not be booking any of these types of excursions. There is also a sea lion encounter which I will NOT be booking due to my feelings of trapping animals for entertainment pleasure.

I don't think the OP is trying to push an agenda on anyone. Everyone has the own feelings when it comes to situations like this. I think she was just shocked when she found out and wanted to warn others. She even said she didn't claim to be an expert on the matter.

For the record, I booked the Swim with Dolphins and Stingrays Excursion in Grand Cayman for myself and my family for our upcoming cruise. I thought, "Cool! Won't it be fun to be able to say I actually got to take a ride/kiss/dance with a dolphin on my vacation!" But upon doing more research I came across a few websites that most definitely made me change my mind about the whole Dolphin Excursion idea. To summarize what I learned....those adorable, highly intelligent creatures that I wanted to ride were, in one way or another, captured in a very violent, very terrifying manner. In fact, that dolphin that I had hopes of kissing and 'dancing' with is probably one of the only surviving members of it's entire dolphin pod. Have you ever heard of the movie/documentary titled "The Cove?" It is basically the story of how these dolphins came to be located in the beautiful Cayman Islands, and Cozumel, and the Bahamas, etc.....

Here's a link to the website that completely changed my mind about my Dolphin Excursion. http://www.caymandolphinpark.com/

I won't pretend to know everything about the subject, but from what I've seen tonight, I couldn't possibly proceed with this Excursion with a clear conscience. I don't hope to change the world, but I myself can't be a part of this. I'm hoping maybe some of you will feel the same way.

Thanks for your time.

\

Our very first cruise years ago, our daughter at the age of 10 decided on her own she would never be interested in anything like that for the reasons you have mentioned. :)

I don't think the OP is trying to push an agenda on anyone. Everyone has the own feelings when it comes to situations like this. I think she was just shocked when she found out and wanted to warn others. She even said she didn't claim to be an expert on the matter.

Exactly, JaBrGa! Thanks for understanding! :D

And you sound like a PETA supporter all hype and no substance.

You sound like a troll.... the OP was simply sharing information and you felt you needed to attack her for some reason??

PETA is a radical organization that doesn't even want people eating a happy meal for gods sake and thats not even real meat!

We are talking about animal cruelty for the sake of your entertainment, no one is stopping you from going to see a dolphin show and they wont because there is to much money in it.

Go and enjoy yourself and stop letting your guilt get to you so that you feel the need to attack others. :rolleyes:

We are talking about animal cruelty for the sake of your entertainment, no one is stopping you from going to see a dolphin show and they wont because there is to much money in it.

Go and enjoy yourself and stop letting your guilt get to you so that you feel the need to attack others. :rolleyes:

Well said! Thank you for understandng! :)

Archived