question for those qwho travel with a portable oxygen concentrator.

kokopops

I think you need to speak to your poc provider, your Doctor, and review your own plans for your trip. some questions to ask: how long is my flight? most airlines require you bring extra batteries in case of emergency or flight delays. do you plan on excursions? how long? will you at any time be somewhere that an electrical outlet will be unavailable? If you cannot safely go without your oxygen for an extended period of time, you should err on the side of caution and bring more battery power than you think you need. remember, once you are at sea, there is no way to get another battery.

I think you need to speak to your poc provider, your Doctor, and review your own plans for your trip. some questions to ask: how long is my flight? most airlines require you bring extra batteries in case of emergency or flight delays. do you plan on excursions? how long? will you at any time be somewhere that an electrical outlet will be unavailable? If you cannot safely go without your oxygen for an extended period of time, you should err on the side of caution and bring more battery power than you think you need. remember, once you are at sea, there is no way to get another battery.

Everything you say is 100% dead On!! The only additional info all who use POC's is that YOU MUST have ALL the Extra Batteries in your Carry On Luggage!!! That means for a 18 hour flight from say California to Australia, you must bring at least 7 batteries:( And that is if you use your POC at the lowest setting on demand not constant flow. Considering how heavy each one is...... I cannot do that type of lengthy flight so until hubby breaks down and cruises out of the US to Australia I cannot visit one of my Pipe Dreams:(

Joanie

I cannot do that type of lengthy flight so until hubby breaks down and cruises out of the US to Australia I cannot visit one of my Pipe Dreams:(

Joanie

Awww. so sad for you.:( hope you get your dream one day. And thanks for adding the carry-on point, they do weigh a lot. Mom's provider said lighter poc's with smaller batteries are not too far in the future, hope she can still travel when they are available.

Joanie I flew to Australia on Qantas and back from NZ on Air New Zealand. I use an Inogen One and on both flights I had approval to plug in my machine to the aircraft AC power so I did not have to carry any extra batteries. I am not oxygen dependant and use it only for sleeping and flying.

We are flying to Europe in Nov on Delta and we had to have papers completed by our doctor and approved by an outside company before we are allowed to travel -- check with the airlines to see what their requirements are

Joanie I flew to Australia on Qantas and back from NZ on Air New Zealand. I use an Inogen One and on both flights I had approval to plug in my machine to the aircraft AC power so I did not have to carry any extra batteries. I am not oxygen dependant and use it only for sleeping and flying.

Sounds great, but.... Since I am O2 dependant while flying and at night, I have to guarantee that there would be a working plug at the seat side. Unfortunately, not all airlines have plugs at every seat so they mandate that we do have the batteries to last the entire flight. As one of my neighbors, a retired flight attendant told me, what if the phugs are not working on a specific flight you are on??? Unless a plug is reported as not working, the malfunction/lack of working would not be known until a scheduled annual check of the plane.

She has been on 2 flights where the plugs in several seats did not work:(

I have hypoxia and must have O2 during flight:(

Joanie

• 1 year later...
how many batteries do you usually travel with ?

We have been advised that the airlines require one to have 150% of battery life per the length of the longest leg of any trip you take. For our travel to NZ we are hoping to get permission to take less as we only need the oxygen concentrator when in the airports where we could plug in and recharge. if you are traveling outside the US, it may be difficult to quickly get extra batteries should one fail so I'd have at least on spare. Check with the airlines or cruise line re their regulations.

• 2 weeks later...

We got the Oxlife Independence for my mom. We just got back from the Star Princess to Hawaii yesterday. We flew from Denver to SF (and back). That machine takes 2 batteries in the machine. She owns four batteries and we rented 4 additional batteries for the trip. Check the listing from the manufacturer to see how long the batteries should last on each setting. Additionally, get any extra batteries early to make sure they work. The batteries that we bought with the machine, two of them would not charge. So, we had to get new ones drop shipped to us.

• 1 year later...
We have been advised that the airlines require one to have 150% of battery life per the length of the longest leg of any trip you take. For our travel to NZ we are hoping to get permission to take less as we only need the oxygen concentrator when in the airports where we could plug in and recharge. if you are traveling outside the US, it may be difficult to quickly get extra batteries should one fail so I'd have at least on spare. Check with the airlines or cruise line re their regulations.

Turns out Jerry needed his POC during every flight. the air in airplanes, especially the older ones is really making everyone oxygen depleted, not just those who have a condition! So be prepared to need it the entire flight. Jerry was tested by the Cleveland Clinic FL to not need O2 in the air. The first flight from FLL to Dallas his O2 dropped into the 80%ile within minutes of taking off! Be aware and be safe!