what do you do with your passport?

HokieK

If its not required then why would you take it on the cruise then?

It can be required to enter the countries you are cruising to and to reenter your country of origin, but it's not required to be on your person while you are actually in the country. Very few countries require you to carry your passport with you.

If its not required then why would you take it on the cruise then?

just to annoy you...and because since I already have it it makes it so I don't have to bring my birth certificate. but I don't need it on shore in the Carribe and don't carry it. On the cruise from Buenos Aires to Valpariaso, the ship kept the passport anyway.

When the Norwegian Sun anchored at Nynashamn, Sweden, on our cruise to Baltic Capitals, the crew announced that Swedish customs would be checking the papers of all cruisers, so we had better take our passports ashore. The officials called off the check shortly after we got off the tender, but we had our passports with us. We never did get an explanation of the kerfuffle.

just to annoy you...and because since I already have it it makes it so I don't have to bring my birth certificate. but I don't need it on shore in the Carribe and don't carry it. On the cruise from Buenos Aires to Valpariaso, the ship kept the passport anyway.

What happens then when you get left in port(in the carribe) and try to get back in the states without it????????????

What happens then when you get left in port(in the carribe) and try to get back in the states without it????????????

a) If you are responsible and careful, the likelihood of missing the ship in any port is almost infinitessimal. I've been cruising for 40 years, I almost always DIY or take a private tour, and I've never come close to missing the ship. (Incidentally, the chances of losing your passport or having it stolen are much higher......)

b) If you feel you ARE in danger of missing the ship, a simple call to the ship's port agent will result in them getting your passport off the ship and holding it for you.

c) Some (if not all) ships will do this if you have not boarded the ship by sailaway, even if you do not call.

I'll call my congress member and have an authorization to travel without a passport issued in about 10 minutes....and BTW the chances your passport will be stolen far exceeds the chance of being stranded. so as you make your police report and can't get back on the ship because the current WHTI requires that you return with the same id that you left with, I'll beat you by at least 5 yards. My way really bothers you doesn't it? I have said how you do this is very personal but you should have all the facts and decide yourself. Not based on old wives tails. Each week thousands of people travel to the Islands without passports at all and have no trouble making it back. During that same period people lose, have stolen or wash in the surf(voiding them) their passports. So again its you to chose.

I'll call my congress member and have an authorization to travel without a passport issued in about 10 minutes....and BTW the chances your passport will be stolen far exceeds the chance of being stranded. so as you make your police report and can't get back on the ship because the current WHTI requires that you return with the same id that you left with, I'll beat you by at least 5 yards. My way really bothers you doesn't it? I have said how you do this is very personal but you should have all the facts and decide yourself. Not based on old wives tails. Each week thousands of people travel to the Islands without passports at all and have no trouble making it back. During that same period people lose, have stolen or wash in the surf(voiding them) their passports. So again its you to chose.

Made the call yet?

Made the call yet?

Never had to. I always make it back in time...sometimes just barely. been robbed recently?

BTW I do have a passport actually this one has the expanded pages as I travel extensively. When outside the US except when crossing borders my passport stays in the Hotel safe. The same thing on a ship. I do think people should have passports but not carry them around unnecessarily. I actually once by mistake wound up crossing from Germany into Austria...without the passport but the border guards were off and the border was unguarded... I limit what I carry to the bare essentials one or two credit cards, limited cash and no outrageous jewelry.

Archived