Funniest or best experience on a cruise?

Hans1

Hey all,

what was your best experience on a cruise?

Ours was a trip on the good old Norway where a "Friend´s of Dorothy"-gathering was. At that time we didn´t know what that was.

A gay couple we met on a tender told us so we went and it turned out to be it was some 50 familiy-members and two ladies who liked the group a lot.

It was so much fun. We all met every day for cocktails and rented out one bar completely.

In the end we had one picture made from the photographer of the entire group. Really great trip - lots of fun.

And the guys we met on the tender boat are dear friends ever since. :D

Oliver

17 2011 Princess Cruises - Sea Princess - San Francisco-Sydney

16 2010 HAL - Prinsendam - Athens-Fort Lauderdale

15 2009 HAL - Volendam - Kobe-Vancouver

14 2007 Costa - Costa Europa - Genova-Eastern Mediterranean-

Malta(Genova)

13 2006 HAL - Prinsendam - Dover-Norway-Amsterdam

12 2005 Celebrity Cruises - Galaxy - Rome-Galveston

11 2004 HAL - Statendam - San Diego-Hawaii-San Diego

10 2004 Cunard - QE2 - Southampton-New York

9 2003 Princess Cruises - Royal Princess - Fort Lauderdale-Rome

8 2002 Orient Lines - Crown Odyssee - Southampton-Lisbon

7 2002 HAL - Amsterdam - Miami-Carribean-Miami

6 2001 Cunard - QE2 - New York-Southampton

5 2000 NCL - Norwegian Dream - Miami-Santiago de Chile

4 1999 NCL - Norway - Miami-Barcelona

3 1996 Celebrity Cruises - Horizon - Los Angeles-Alaska-Vancouver

2 1995 Orient Lines - Marco Polo - Singapore-Hong Kong

1 1993 Cunard - QE2 - Southampton - New York

My funniest experience on a straight cruise so far was on the Norwegian Epic this past March. I was invited to be one of the males in the straight dating game. Now I'm not flamboyant so it did work but I didn't know who the female was going to be. Turns out the female was another solo traveler in the studios that I had talked to previously and she knew who I was. We had a partition up and she recognized the voice and said my name which was hilarious instead of calling me Bachelor #3. I ended up winning the game! :eek::D I gave my hot date the bottle of champagne that is given as a prize and went on up to the White Hot Party after changing!

It was hilarious that I was even in the game and even more funny that I won it. I couldn't stop laughing! Thanks to Natalie, NCL's Singles Social Hostess for getting me involved in it. It's a lasting memory and I still talk to her online to this day! :)

We booked our first cruise on Royal Caribbean and I had heard (from CruiseCritic) that there might be a Friends of Dorothy meeting. I was planning the weeks events and saw that they only had a Friends of "Bill" meeting. I thought that Royal Caribbean was being coy by changing the name from Dorothy to Bill. We had no idea what was about to happen. Soooo, at 3pm my partner and I participated in the ship sponsored "Wine Tasting" and stayed until the very end......at which time I said to the table "We had a great time tasting wine with all of you, but now we're off to the Friends of Bill meeting at 4:30." I thought their responses were quite odd at the time, but now it makes perfect sense!! Some laughed, some stared blankly, some raised their hand up to their mouth. So we go traipsing up to the library to meet our GAY FRIENDS! We come blasting into the library to find an oval table filled with about 20 VERY SOMBER LOOKING PEOPLE! We looked at each other and quietly excused ourselves stating that we were at the wrong place. One of the people said...."No, stay with us for the meeting!" I think they may have detected the wine-giggles and the blood shot eyes???? So, I now know the difference between Dorothy and Bill........thanks to our table mates that evening who told us the meaning of "Bill".

We booked our first cruise on Royal Caribbean and I had heard (from CruiseCritic) that there might be a Friends of Dorothy meeting. I was planning the weeks events and saw that they only had a Friends of "Bill" meeting. I thought that Royal Caribbean was being coy by changing the name from Dorothy to Bill. We had no idea what was about to happen. Soooo, at 3pm my partner and I participated in the ship sponsored "Wine Tasting" and stayed until the very end......at which time I said to the table "We had a great time tasting wine with all of you, but now we're off to the Friends of Bill meeting at 4:30." I thought their responses were quite odd at the time, but now it makes perfect sense!! Some laughed, some stared blankly, some raised their hand up to their mouth. So we go traipsing up to the library to meet our GAY FRIENDS! We come blasting into the library to find an oval table filled with about 20 VERY SOMBER LOOKING PEOPLE! We looked at each other and quietly excused ourselves stating that we were at the wrong place. One of the people said...."No, stay with us for the meeting!" I think they may have detected the wine-giggles and the blood shot eyes???? So, I now know the difference between Dorothy and Bill........thanks to our table mates that evening who told us the meaning of "Bill".

My event was just the opposite of this one. I met with a few people at a "Friends of Dorothy" get-together and a gentleman walked in and said that he was meeting with the Friends of Bill W. and wanted to know if we all wanted to meet together. He also said that he was unsure what was the "Friends of Dorothy". When we told him, he took off like a scared rabbit.

Love the stories guys about the Friends of Bill W. I learned that lesson on a gay cruise... of all the places with libations flowing like water from a tap. I said I was interested in going on the Eurpoean cruise in 2003 and the Atlantis staff member pulled me aside and said, "Honey... Bill is not on every cruise... the Alcoholic Anonymous are." I was like... WHOOPS! Thank goodness he told me BEFORE I went. :D

On a Royal Caribbean cruise, we ate lunch with a father and his three sons. As we get up to leave, he asked my partner if it was just him and his son (referring to me) on the cruise. The boys all cringed because they had figured us out. (And the fact that there's only six years age difference would have made it pretty hard for him to be my father.)

On our last cruise, we had a good turn out for the FOD meeting, everyone enjoying the mood. 2 women came by and asked if they join us ( we were all male), they sat down, got involved in conversations & all of a sudden, as the server brought a tray of drinks over, the look on their faces changed. The 2 thought that FOD was a different group name for Friends of Bill, 'cause Bill's wifes name was " Dorothy". Amazing thing, that happened 2 nights in a row, thankfully, with 2 different people.

A few years back we were on the Norwegian Pearl and 17 couples showed up for Friends of Dorothy and a few solo travelers. We basically overtook the entire bar. One guy came to FOD who was traveling with his family. He was expecting an orgy to break out.

Then when we were on NCL's private island, my partner and I found an area under some trees and one of the big hammocks were also in this spot. We looked over and the guy from the FOD who was traveling with his family were right night to us. He saw use and you could tell he was very nervous. We figured he was also closeted, so we didn't acknowledge him and gave him his peace.

Then, on the last night of the cruise when NCL does their shiptease act with some of the male ship crew. This was the same bar where we had been hold our FOD. The cocktail waitress loves us all so she had reserved all of us front row seats to the show. Let me tell you, all the straight women were pissed and it was great!

Scott

• 3 weeks later...

Archived