Home Microdermabrasion

Neutrogena and L'oreal (I think!) have home kits....or you can use St. Ives scrubs....I prefer that, actually....the "Renew and Firm" Apricot scrub is lovely! It's not true "microderm abrasion", but it does "freshen" the look of your skin.

If you're set on having the Microderm Abrasion done, go to a doctor who specializes in that.....there are dermotologist who do nothing but "beauty" treatments.

If you really want results when you resurface your skin you might look into professional chemical peels. They do have at home kits for these too but you will have better results if you see a professional.

I am lucky to have a friend who is a dermatologist and she has peel parties with us every 8 weeks. She only charges us the cost of the chemical, a strong glycolic peel. So we get it for $30 face or $45 for face and neck. I think she said it was $125 in office and done by a tech? The process takes less than 10 minutes. It burns when removing initially but doesn't for me after that although I do peel for about a week after and have slight redness for a couple of days. You MUST moisturize well with both processes both weeks before and after. The results after several treatments is noticable in pictures.

The plus of chemical over home dermabrasion is that it treats the creases and contours of your nose etc. better because the chemical is applied with a brush.

• 2 months later...

I used the BOOTS home kit from Target last year and liked it alot..but home kits are minimally effective.

To get good skin you really need a good overall regime..it's one of those areas I am willing to spend money on...I had a series of peels ($300 each but my friend was a dermatologist so I got it for half), followed by using the Obagi skincare system and Retin A..and the real helper is using a high quality prescrition sun screen. Yes it was an investment for all of this but I look way, way, younger for doing it and I iwll continue to do it.

There are many less expensive products to use to have a good skin care routine. Many post of them here. But to really achieve long lasting results, you need to have a good daily regime along with a peel and sunscreen.

I like the website www.dermatologistrx.com and buy other products from there as well.

DO NOT put the St Ives apricot scrub on your face. It's too harsh and can scratch your skin. Find something that's gentle on the skin. Aveeno makes a good one and it's not harmful to your skin. In general, we should exfoliate once per week... no more than twice. The scrub should be very fine and you should scrub for several minutes. Be sure to moisturize after.

Also, make sure you're washing your face with tepid water. You don't want to wash your face with the hotness of your shower water. ;)

Archived