Scuba with no certification?

bigdawg_cb

I am going on Carnival Dream August 20th and I know through the ship they offer scuba with no certification. They give you a little class on shore and then let you go to around 1 atmosphere (30-40ft). I was wondering is there any place that offers it not through the ship? And would you suggest independent or through the ship? I plan on getting certifide, but I figured this would be a great first dive to see how much I enjoy it.

You must be joking.......40 feet without training!! No dive shop will take you other than the "explore scuba" trials, and even those have some basic training.

I don't really understand what you are saying. The Discover Scuba depth limit is 40 feet so many shops will be taking divers to 35 or 40 feet. My discover dive was that deep.

Every scuba student- Discover Scuba, Scuba Diver, or Open Water diver will all get basic training. The OP didn't say "without training," he said "without certification"- big difference!

And to answer the OP- Most dive shops do run Discover Scuba if they have enough students to make it worth their while. Usually this is a minimum of 2-4 students. Some dive shops will take you out alone if you pay extra. If you post on the Scuba & Snorkeling board, they will give you some shop recommendations.

• 7 months later...

I was out with a dive boat from Anemona Divers in West Bay last week. I am a snorkeler person. Three of the people in the boat were discover scuba from a cruise ship. I didn't notice in the beginning but when they came back I saw two dive masters with the three of them. We had chats about how they felt..all three of them are determined to learn how to dive now.

I have since been out with their dive boat on three different occasions, the guys are very nice, and everyone seems all kinds of happy when they get back in the boat.

By the by ~ all the diver masters I have come across are from some place else, no doubt arrived due to the world glass diving.

Many dive shops/resorts are now offering "discover scuba" courses just about anywhere you go.

They usually begin with a class that lasts @ 1 - 2 hours depending on the dive shop. There are basic rules that you MUST know to even think about doing this.

Then you go to a shallow sandy area to make sure you know these basic rules.

Then they will go to a relatively easy dive area sometimes to 40 feet - sometimes not....depending on how confident they feel about you.....

You are always accompanied by a dive master and depending on how many in your group (usually small) there will be more than one.

I will say that most certified divers (I have been certified since 1989) will tell you that these types of dives don't sit well with them. There is a reason. Diving can be dangerous if you don't know or follow the rules. And add to the mix that many people who do this type of dive are not all that comfortable in the water to begin with. Then put those people down the equivalent of a 4 story building..... and many diving accidents happen within the first 30 feet :eek:

Just be sure and choose a well recommended dive shop.....and then stick to the dive master like glue !!!!! If something goes wrong, he will be the one to take care of you.

Enjoy the dives in Roatan.....it is the most pristine diving I have done and I have done a bit.....including the Red Sea off Egypt.

My son and I did Beginner's Scuba in Grand Turks at the "The Wall" we went down to 35 ft. Words can't explain how beautiful it was. We did with a third party vendor.

The wall is amazing !!! One of the top 3 dives I have done. Still quite pristine which you can't say for many areas nowadays :(

Archived