Wearing jeans in port?

bakery

I went to Europe last summer and read extensively on those boards about all the "what to dos, and what not to dos" while in Europe. And ya know what, just like any other place in the US, if you are a tourist you stand out pretty much no matter what. Cameras, purses, backpacks, etc. are all pretty good giveaways. Tours - hello, you are following someone with a stick in their hand. I was told to NOT wear tennis shoes in Europe cuz I'd stand out but after almost falling on some marble areas, one gets to the point that comfort and safety come first in my mind so . . . I went with the flow and just did my own thing. Not only that, I'll never see any of those people again so who cares? But I always strive to go middle of the road, I don't need to dress to the nines but tees and flip flops would never be my attire.

Same as jeans on the ship - wear them around but if they are not supposed to be worn in the DR, change. It's kind of as simple as that. I have never understood all the hype over something so simple as what to wear. When I am on vacation, I seriously never care what someone else is wearing, if they fit in or whatever and I seriously doubt others take the time to critique me or those around them either. If they do, that's their problem, not mine. There are some clothes that are so inappropriate they belong NOWHERE and it's been very rare that I've seen anyone wearing those but if you do, doesn't that say more about them? AND, I never allow what someone else does or doesn't do affect my vacation.

I have never understood all the hype over something so simple as what to wear. When I am on vacation, I seriously never care what someone else is wearing, if they fit in or whatever and I seriously doubt others take the time to critique me or those around them either. If they do, that's their problem, not mine. There are some clothes that are so inappropriate they belong NOWHERE and it's been very rare that I've seen anyone wearing those but if you do, doesn't that say more about them? AND, I never allow what someone else does or doesn't do affect my vacation.

I was one of those people...I just got back from France and I stressed all the way up until the trip about what I should wear. I kept reading they don't wear this or that. Well, I saw it all, including the white tennies. And unless it was an American that spoke only French...I saw plenty of these. The one thing I did see that I hope does not catch on over here was men in capris. I did not care for that look.

Anyway, I realized I worried needlessly. No one ever gave me a second glance, and I was always dressed nice. The only reason I even noticed what others were wearing was because I had spent all that time worrying about my own wardrobe.

Thankfully, my cruise travel has always been to the Caribbean, so never a worry there :)

If you are on a cruise line tour or a private tour, NO ONE is going to confuse you for a local. You can probably dress to be comfortable on your tour and no one there will care. Most ports want the income that cruises bring to the economy.

If you are not on a cruise but rather on an independent vacation of your own and want to blend in to see the sights as a local (or if you are visiting sights such as cathedrals and mosques with expected dress codes) then consider how you dress.

I took a trip to Germany years ago. On the flight home I used my limited high school German to talk to the flight attendant on the Lufthansa flight. When it came time to hand out the immigration forms she handle me the non US resident forms. For a short time I blended in!

I think the fact that we are not speaking Swedish may be a tip off that we are not locals... T

I never got where that it was so important to fit in., as in looking like a local. I am not going to wear a burka or a veil if I am in a religious country in the middle east! Of course that it different than being in some way offensive to the local norms, that we should all be aware of.

I live near NYC and there are lots of tourists everywhere. So what? It's not like anyone gets treated any differently.

BTW when we did this trip, it was actually very hot and there was little shade, so tuck in a few lightweight items just in case.

Archived