Shopping For Amber

We are on the 2 September Star Princess. I bought a lot of Black Tahitian Pearl jewelery in French Polynesia last year and now I plan to buy Amber in the Baltics.

Before I leave, I shop the prices here. The Tahitian Board really liked hearing about the black pearls information that I found and shared, so here comes the Amber (Lesson 101) ;) :

"Amber is the fossilized resin or sap of the pine tree Pines Sucinifera formed during the Eocene period about 50,000,000 years ago. Amber is the sacred stone of American Indians, and it is used in the art of manifesting desires into reality.

Since high antiquity Lithuania is called "the land of amber". In ancient times amber was worth its weight in gold, and special caravans were carrying amber to Rome from the Baltic region.

Amber cleans the environment in which it rests. When wearing, it brings purification of mind, body, and spirit. Amber activates unconditional love in mankind, stimulates the intellect, and opens the crown chakra. It is also a symbol of renewed marriage vows."

http://www.balticshop.com/amber.html

Anyone else shopping for Amber? :D

From the numerous posting I've read over the past few months I have notes that both Tallinn and Gdansk are good places to buy amber. I bought an amber necklace last year on board the Millenium-when I was on a trip to the Caribbean. I love the necklace. I have also bought some small pieces when I was in Prague. My notes on Baltic ports also include that in Gdansk there is a tourist discount on amber - I'm not sure where I got that from! There is an amber shop at Catherine's Palace in St. Petersburg. I'd be interested in what you discover about amber. I am on the Star on July 14.

Hi, CA,

Good, you can send me some shopping tips after your return, since you sail before I do. :D

I have seen the green on websites and prefer it to the gold - probably more rare, therefore more expensive. :eek:

Here is a set in green: drop earrings, pendant (no chain), and bracelet in sterling silver for $87. Of the 7 pictured, this is my favourite:

http://www.balticshop.com/shopping/pics/10587.l.jpg

This is a nice design:

http://www.balticshop.com/shopping/pics/10795.l.jpg

Those are the only 2 that I care for in the Sets. :cool:

What Colors does Amber come in?

Colors most commonly associated with Baltic amber are cognac, honey, green, yellow, cream, and ivory. The latter colors tend to be the oldest amber. However, up to 256 different shades and colors have been catalogued to date. Amber can be transparent or opaque. And because it's an organic substance, it is lightweight and warm to the touch. No two pieces are alike. The movie Jurassic Park renewed a popular interest in amber and its insect inclusions. Amber's golden glow and warmth is certainly a part of its natural attraction. One could say it's akin to petrified light. :cool:

spacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifWhat is Amber? :confused:

Amber is a fossilized resin from coniferous trees that has taken millions of years to form. The Baltic source tree that produced amber is called pinites succinifer, similar to a pine or a spruce. These ancient amber forests were sub-tropical in nature. Amber from this region contains succinic acid and therefore is sometimes referred to as succinite, making it the highest quality amber in the world. The average age of Baltic amber is around 40 million years old but can be as old as 65 million years. ;)

spacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifWhat is Amber? :confused:

Amber from this region contains succinic acid and therefore is sometimes referred to as succinite, making it the highest quality amber in the world. ;)

I am not sure if this will get through but:

Amber is all over but that from northern Siberia and Sakha Republic is considered the best for medicial and asthetic purposes due to its concentration and quality of the succine acid it contains. Sakha is a region that most people think is Siberia but is a republic member of the Russian Federation that has a very rich concentration of natural resources including diamonds, fur, timber, oil and gold.

I wrote an article for a local St Petersburg newspaper about Amber and succine acid so did a lot of research including interviewing one of the expert scientists in Moscow. Succinic acid is a common home and commercial hangover remedy and anti-oxidant. In the west, health food stores sell "wormwood" which is another term.

If you want amber jewelry, some of the very best fine jewelry designers are known to be in St Petersburg in keeping with the tradition of being one of the most respected jewelry design centers. I am not supposed to tell you where you can find it on this forum but Di, when we speak on the phone or by email I can give you a few store names and addresses.

If people want specific information about stores and restaurants not allowed on the list they should ask via private email so the information is sure to get through.

Stanj - I was not aware that the prohibitions on posting that applies to arranging tours and giving specific webistes, applied to recomendations of stores and restaurants. That seems to be overkill. I think Cecilia posted a recent clarification - that discussing places and tours you liked was ok - you just could not try to arrange your tour group or give out specific website information. All these restrictions seem quite silly to me - especially since other threads contain all this information. But I would hate to ruin it for others.

That said: If you would be willing to email me your recommendations, I'd appreciate it. I have learned a lot about St. Petersburg from your various postings. My email is: s11berg@pacbell.net. Thanks.

well here is my email adress Stan....aqtwitch@hotmail.com

would love to know more about where to buy siberian amber..I was born in Siberia...near Krasnoyarsk..a small town named Kansk....I know that this is not where the amber comes from...but the region did have a lot of coal...

The information I have is not very specific. According to my notes from another thread, in Tallinn, a shopping street is Mulihave with a sweater market and a store called Livorno which had nice amber. In Gdansk there are shops on Mariacka Street. I am merely repeating what I have read and will see for myself in July.

Hi, Patricia:

Thank you for the compliment. I love the research and do not mind sharing at all. It all goes around and comes back to one, n'est pas? ;)

Did you get all the Spam I sent you? I got one of them returned. I sent you 5 e-mails.

DON: I cannot send you anything. I need an e-mail address! :eek:

Oh, I forgot Go 4 It. O.K., I'll send yours now. I see your address. :D

Hi Donna, Stan,

I have not been on the threads for a couple of days. I to would like to know where to buy the amber. Please email me. Donna I hope you have still have my email address. If not it is mmglantz@aol.com

I heard that the sweaters are cheaper in Tallinn then in Helsinki or Stockholm. Is this true?

CA Traveler: Thank you for letting me know which street the sweater market is on.

Thank you.

Marion

I just sent you all my Amber file (I have it filed under Gdynia (Gadnsk).

I also sent you Stan's letter with his SPb Amber information. ;)

My e-mails are more for educating ones self about buying amber, not stores in the Baltic in which to buy it. :D

However, two of those e-mails do have links to other cc threads on places to buy. That will give you a clue, by clicking on their profiles and looking back in the threads to get some tips. :rolleyes:

Yes, I remember that you and I had corresponded earlier. How is your planning going? :cool:

Donna:

I would very much appreciate if you would also e-mail me your research file on Amber. My wifw and I will be on the Constellation on the May 21 sailing. My e-mail address is ureaking@aol.com Thanks for taking the time to do the work and for sharing,

....and have a great cruise!

Donna,

Thank you. I got it all and have been reading for the last three days. I am still trying to figure out which tours we want to take from the ship and which ports we want to do on our own.

Keep emailing me any other information you get. I am glad I got in contact with the people we are sharing the our St. Petersburg tour before we were not allowed to ask for someone to join a tour.

There still is no one responding to the Aug 13th cruise. We only have 8 people signed up for the CC party. Maybe people will start going on line next month.

Thanks again.

Marion

Princess Di,

I sure would like that amber info. The Baltic is the place to buy it . . .I heard Poland had the best prices but we won't be there. . .I actually found a lovely piece at the market in Helsinki and when I asked the origin, I was told "Poland".

Thanks,

cbhouses@aol.com

Archived