luggage questions

It may depend on the port and the type of carts the porters have available but I've never seen that type of cart with a rod for hanging garment bags. At least I don't recall ever seeing any. The porters just take everything and pile it into these large metal cages which forklifts then take on to the ship. If he's concerned about clothes inside the bag getting wrinkled, he probably should keep it as carry-on because bags inside those metal cages are stacked on top of one another.

At my port (Baltimore), I seem to recall they had carts similar to how the airlines bring the lugguage out to the airplane (the little train system with a front car that drags all the little carts behind it). I'm sure each port is different but I can't think that the little individual hand carts with the garment racks would be efficient in handling the large amount of luggage they need to get onto that ship- and quickly!

It is not similar to handing off your luggage to the bell hop at a hotel- they will not be gentle so if your son is worried about the garment bag ripping or becoming wrinkled he may want to just hold onto it himself...

HTH! :)

There is no rack to hang it on, they will put in on the pile with the rest of the luggage but he can leave it with them, just not hung up...so if he wants to ensure nothing gets wrinkled...I would bring it with me.

Archived