Weather in Bermuda Aug 14-21--Hurricane??

EOSapril11

I was hoping some locals could address the weather for the upcoming week. I am hearing there are some tropical depressions out in the Atlantic that could impact Bermuda one way or another.

What are the reports for the weather?

Does anyone know what Celebrity would do with the Summit next week if there is a hurricane/trop depression?

Any info would be appreciated!

Follow weather.bm, that's what we do.

Other good resources, which I go to several times a day when there are storms around are (the updates are usually 6 hourly):

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

http://www.stormpulse.com/

http://stormcarib.com/

In general the Weather Channel isn't much use since they only care about storms that are going to hit the USA.

That said, the forecasts are only fairly accurate for three days out, and roughly accurate up to 5 days so anything could be happening a week from now .

If the weather in Bermuda, or between Bermuda and the US, is forecast to be very bad, cruise lines usually do a New England/Canada itinerary, so check with the cruise line before you go - you might need long pants and sweaters!

Don't change your wardrobe - you're leaving tomorrow!

There are a lot of "waves" way far out in the Atlantic but they could dissipate, go into the Gulf etc. There have been times when they've changed the itinerary or had to alter port times but they wouldn't decide till the last minute.. leaving tomorrow means they will do nothing for now bec. no way to predict what will be happening so you will get your

Bermuda itinerary.. here in NC they are saying that by next weekend something could (i.e. they are not sure by any stretch of imagination) impact the southeast US so you will be on your way back anyway!

Don't change your wardrobe - you're leaving tomorrow!

There are a lot of "waves" way far out in the Atlantic but they could dissipate, go into the Gulf etc. There have been times when they've changed the itinerary or had to alter port times but they wouldn't decide till the last minute.. leaving tomorrow means they will do nothing for now bec. no way to predict what will be happening so you will get your

Bermuda itinerary.. here in NC they are saying that by next weekend something could (i.e. they are not sure by any stretch of imagination) impact the southeast US so you will be on your way back anyway!

Thank you for you positive post Host Caroline!!!! I am trying to stay positive & hopeful, but at the same time stressing out! We are (were) looking forward the beautiful Bermuda beaches & nice weather--I hope it stays that way.

I know we are traveling during hurrican season, but I have school age children so summer is best time to travel, plus we had to cancel an April school-break cruise due to some serious health issues (hence my screen name!)...so we were pressing our luck w/this cruise! I'm sure someone will attack me for cruising in Aug, but you don't know us or our story.

Wish us luck....we will enjoy whatever comes our way anyway!

i keep wondering WHERE whould the ship go is not to Bermuda because of a storm, been to Freeport and Bahams enough already, someone said north to Canada - i don't think so.... don't really want to do a six day at Sea.........

i keep wondering WHERE whould the ship go is not to Bermuda because of a storm, been to Freeport and Bahams enough already, someone said north to Canada - i don't think so.... don't really want to do a six day at Sea.........

Some ships have definitely gone to Canada when weather prohibited them from going to Bermuda. The entire time isn't spent at sea...they visit ports like Halifax, Nova Scotia and St. John, New Brunswick.

don't knock it til you have tried it:D

Some ships have definitely gone to Canada when weather prohibited them from going to Bermuda. The entire time isn't spent at sea...they visit ports like Halifax, Nova Scotia and St. John, New Brunswick.

Been to those two ports, plus Sydney NS as well...that's why we're doing something different, so hopefully at the end of Oct. when DW and I sail there are no Hurricanes/ TS Or TD's in our plotted course route...:p

Bill(DrFootball)

(This Medal is awarded to the Aviator who has “distinguished himself by Heroism, Gallantry or Extraordinary Achievement while participating in aerial flight.” - The Army Distinguished Flying Cross)

Bill's Brainiac Random Quote Generator V0.94 final beta for Mac

map_tropprjpath07_ltst_5nhato_enus_600x405.jpg

Tropical Depression Seven strengthened into Tropical Storm Gert Sunday afternoon; the 7th named storm of the 2011 Atlantic hurricane season.

Tropical Storm Gert will pass near or just east of Bermuda on Monday. A tropical storm warning has been posted for the island. Torrential downpours from Gert could unleash 1-3 inches of rain across Bermuda, while tropical storm-force winds lash the island. Battering surf and dangerous rip currents will occur as the storm brushes past.

Localized flash flooding is a possibility.

Conditions will begin to improve Monday night as Gert heads northeastward across the North Atlantic.

The Norwegian Dawn looks to still be in port, just a little wet this morning....

Fullsize.jpg?browser_popup=320x240

Well, I've been awaiting all day for the storm that wasn't - Gert veered easterly away from us about 6 am this morning and we haven't felt a thing - the maximum wind gust today has been a slight breeze at 15 knots. Seas inside the reef 1 - 2 feet, outside the reef 4 - 7 feet.

So great news for you cruisers but annoying for us - no one really minds a tropical storm here - 'just a bit of a blow' as it's usually described - but we are still over 12 inches rainfall down on the yearly average, could have done with a shower or two.

Archived