Galveston Cruise Terminal Embark Processing

mfisher59

We will be sailing out of Galveston for the first time this October. We have previously sailed only out of New Orleans. The embarkation process and facilities have always been great and painless in New Orleans. Heard from a woman who couldn't get aggravated enough about her experience from Galveston when boarding the ship. What are your experiences? How is it different? Have I made a mistake?

You will probably get a lot more feedback on this on the carnival boards, here is a thread from today

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1462065&highlight=galveston

Living in TX Iv been thru the process a lot of times out of Galveston, maybe 10 times? I like it better than some of the other ports like NOLA and Mobile... which to me are more disorganized.

Iv boarded regular, HC and VIP and all are good out of Galveston. I like the way they handle things just fine. A couple of things sometimes they get fussy, like my wheels of my suitcase on the escalator thing .. but by and large I find it great.

We will be sailing out of Galveston for the first time this October. We have previously sailed only out of New Orleans. The embarkation process and facilities have always been great and painless in New Orleans. Heard from a woman who couldn't get aggravated enough about her experience from Galveston when boarding the ship. What are your experiences? How is it different? Have I made a mistake?

I cruised on Conquest out of Galveston in Jan and it was fine. It seemed as well organized as that kind of process can be. The lines were long but they were always moving. I can appreciate someone getting aggravated about the process, I found myself getting fustrated with people being rude but I dont think Galveston has the market cornered on rudeness, I just chalk it up to folks being impatient to start their vacation. All in all, it was fine. Dont let the embarkation process spoil your cruise before it starts!

Galveston is remodeling their terminal and pier to accomodate the new larger Magic when it arrives in November. The last 3 times I've cruised out of Galveston there have been different lines/rooms/proceedures for VIP.

I'm hoping that they will settle on a more organized method.

You will drop your bags with the porters at the east end of the terminal building. The entrance to the terminal building is on the west end down the long portico.

They generally don't start letting people in the terminal building until around 10:30. You have to show your funpass to get in the building, then you go up the escalators to the 1st security line. Your paperwork is checked again and you are split off into VIP non-VIP to go through the xray machine. After the xray machine the VIPs usually go to a private lounge to check in and the rest get in line for the big main desk.

What I've never liked about Galveston is that they often only have 1 person checking in all the VIPs so it can take longer than even general checkin lines take where they have 8 or 10 agents checking people in.

After you get checked in you are placed either in the VIP boarding area or given a zone tag.

They board wedding parties 1st, then handicap, then VIP then zones. Your picture gets taken and you get "dinged" onto the ship as you head up the STEEP ramp to get on the ship, not at the door to ship.

So my fears about Galveston are completely unfounded, thank God, but since my husband always books these things for us, I haven't heard about the VIP thing. How does that work? Do I just make him pay for it?:rolleyes:

So my fears about Galveston are completely unfounded, thank God, but since my husband always books these things for us, I haven't heard about the VIP thing. How does that work? Do I just make him pay for it?:rolleyes:

Yes! Upgrade to a suite! VIP boarding is only for guests in the suites or those who have cruised with carnival 10+ times. Regular boarding isnt that bad, dont worry about it :-)

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Archived