Need a new camera

Randomnist

Hi folks,

I am looking to buy a new camera for our upcoming cruise, since the one I have is old and crappy. I'm not huge into photography, just want something that's easy to point and shoot, but takes good pictures.

I'm considering getting a waterproof one, but it looks like they tend to be a bit more bulky.

I would like something small that can easily fit in my pocket, but looks like if I want a waterproof one that's probably not going to happen. Perhaps I should buy two different ones, one small one and then a smallish waterproof camera?

Thoughts or advice from the experts?

I have often said the the best camera for every situation is sometimes two (or three!) cameras!

Not knowing you budget, It is hard to recommend specific models, but the good news is that it is pretty hard to find a truly bad camera among the models offered by the major manufacturers and most are very good. The technology has come a long way in recent years

The Sony DSC-TX10 is a small (3.78 x 2.2 x .71), pocketable waterproof (to 16 ft) model that has a lot of features. The lens only covers a 25mm-100mm equivalent wide to short telephoto zoom range, though this is typical of submersible cameras that don't have large, complex zooming lenses.

The Canon D10 is bulkier (4.1 x 2.6 x 1.9), but is built with abuse in mind and can be submerged to 33 ft. Many users on this forum have used this camera and it is well-recommended (search this forum for D10 and take a look). The image quality with this camera and its 3x (35-105mm equivalent) zoom does very well in comparison reviews.

The Pentax Optio W90 is between the two in size (4.25 x 2.32 x .98) and offers a slightly longer 5x zoom (28-140mm equivalent). It is also abuse-proof and submersible to 20 ft.

The Olympus Tough TG-810 is similar to the Pentax in size (3.9 x 2.5 x .98) and also offers a 5x zoom (28-140mm equivalent). It is submersible to 33 ft like the Canon.

You also may consider getting a long-zoom compact like the Canon SX230 HS, Sony DSC-HX9V or the Panasonic ZS-10 and get a sub-$100 UW camera like the Vivitar V8400 or a waterproof bag-style case for your old camera if underwater isn't your prime shooting choice.

As you can see, there is a lot to choose from and many ways to approach it. Hope this gave you a jumping-off point.

Enjoy your cruise!

Dave

Technology marches on and the waterproof bunch has some great offerings from under 200 bucks to more. Really amazing and comparing any to a camera that is "old" all will be better. Compared against contemporary choices there are tradeoffs to decide on, but size and waterproof are not among them :D

Hi folks,

I am looking to buy a new camera for our upcoming cruise, since the one I have is old and crappy. I'm not huge into photography, just want something that's easy to point and shoot, but takes good pictures.

I'm considering getting a waterproof one, but it looks like they tend to be a bit more bulky.

I would like something small that can easily fit in my pocket, but looks like if I want a waterproof one that's probably not going to happen. Perhaps I should buy two different ones, one small one and then a smallish waterproof camera?

Thoughts or advice from the experts?

How many pictures do you plan to take that would include yourself in them?

While shopping you might check to see if one of the cameras you are checking has a remote control.

I bought a Konica Minolta a few years ago that came with a small remote, one of the handiest things I use. Using it I am able to stage my own shots with my family and not have to rush or bother someone else to take the pictures. On formal night I have gotten several shots that were better then what the ships photographers were doing.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Need a new camera for my upcoming October cruise.

I love photography & with my limited knowledge I have taken pretty decent photos with my point & shoot cameras.

My wish list for a new camera are: user friendly, light weight, decent zoom & specially able to take good night shots. My budget is probably up to $800. I am not a computer wiz but always download the pictures on the computer (Windows) & from there print them out to make a photo album or a scrapbook... the old fashion way.

After a bit ir research and being overwhelmed by the choices out there I initially narrowed my options to a Canon S95 or to a Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ-35.

But then thought I was ready to get myself into a DSLR. After another bit of research reading many reviews & a friend's advice I limited my choice to a NIKON D 3100.

Yesterday.... ready to make my purchase & feel the Nikon on my hands it wasn't love at first sight. A bit heavy & too bulky for my hands. :mad:

And then I saw the Sony NEX-5 & felt in love with it. ;) Didn't do the purchase as I wanted to read more about her & specially the reviews. Found out that there are 2 models available: Sony Nex 5 & Nex 5-N. Any particular opinion regarding one or the other????

Being a cruise critic fan I knew I will find useful info on the camera forums & I did.

Please excuse the bothersome of this long post but for anyone that will add it's experience/expertize to my dilemma I "ll really appreciate it. I do not want to feel that I'm going from one end of the spectrum to the other, just need a bit of re-assurance that I"m doing the right decision.

I am also of the opinion that the "best" camera is the one you have & you feel comfortable with... but any input doesn't do any harm. :o

Thanks greatly

...And then I saw the Sony NEX-5 & felt in love with it. ;) Didn't do the purchase as I wanted to read more about her & specially the reviews. Found out that there are 2 models available: Sony Nex 5 & Nex 5-N. Any particular opinion regarding one or the other????

The NEX-5n is a newer model of the NEX-5. Both are very similar in handling with the 5n having a newer and more advanced sensor. Both are great cameras but if the price is close, I'd go with the 5n. The early reviews indicate that the image quality is excellent...better than many current DSLRs.

I have a NEX-5 and it has become my go-to camera for DSLR moments when I don't want the bulk of my DSLR.

Here's a link to a hands-on review I wrote when I first got it: http://www.pptphoto.com/ArticlePages/NEX5.htm

Dave

The NEX-5n is a newer model of the NEX-5. Both are very similar in handling with the 5n having a newer and more advanced sensor. Both are great cameras but if the price is close, I'd go with the 5n. The early reviews indicate that the image quality is excellent...better than many current DSLRs.

I have a NEX-5 and it has become my go-to camera for DSLR moments when I don't want the bulk of my DSLR.

Here's a link to a hands-on review I wrote when I first got it: http://www.pptphoto.com/ArticlePages/NEX5.htm

Dave

Thanks so much.... I did read your review before posting.

Back home the 5N is not available but I'm going to check online.

So ... the NEX is the winner ;). My husband is going to be very happy as he liked that one much better.

Thanks so much.... I did read your review before posting.

Back home the 5N is not available but I'm going to check online.

So ... the NEX is the winner ;). My husband is going to be very happy as he liked that one much better.

The 5n is available on SonyStyle.com for a ship date of 9/8. It was just announced and has just become available so it may be a week or so until it shows up on Amazon or B&H and the rest. It will be the same price everywhere, so if you want one, you can order it now.

Dave

The 5n is available on SonyStyle.com for a ship date of 9/8. It was just announced and has just become available so it may be a week or so until it shows up on Amazon or B&H and the rest. It will be the same price everywhere, so if you want one, you can order it now.

Dave

Thanks Dave... I really appreciate your info. My trip is in October so I have some time to get acquainted with the camera..... HOPEFULLY

I have been looking at the long zoom cameras: Canon SX230 HS, Sony DSC-HX9V or the Panasonic ZS-10. Any recommendations as to which one of these is the best. I am leaning towards the Sony but that is only because of the recommendation of the sales person at Best Buy.

I have been looking at the long zoom cameras: Canon SX230 HS, Sony DSC-HX9V or the Panasonic ZS-10. Any recommendations as to which one of these is the best. I am leaning towards the Sony but that is only because of the recommendation of the sales person at Best Buy.

I currently use an HX5V for my 24/7 camera and would have no hesitation getting an HX9V if I were in the market today. I used various PowerShots for years but the combination of features, zoom and handling won me over.

Here's a link to a samples gallery I posted for a quick review on another thread (reviews show that the image quality has gotten better with the 9V): http://galleries.pptphoto.com/sony_hx5v

In the upper right, there's a full-screen slideshow option.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...
I currently use an HX5V for my 24/7 camera and would have no hesitation getting an HX9V if I were in the market today. I used various PowerShots for years but the combination of features, zoom and handling won me over.

Here's a link to a samples gallery I posted for a quick review on another thread (reviews show that the image quality has gotten better with the 9V): http://galleries.pptphoto.com/sony_hx5v

In the upper right, there's a full-screen slideshow option.

Dave

Dave, I too have the HX5V and just last week got the NEX-5N. I love your pictures by the way.

I am looking for a way to protect my cameras from splashes and maybe even get a waterproof bag to take a few pictures while snorkeling. Do you have any experience with using waterproof bags and can you make any recommendations? I think I might take a risk and go under water with my HX5V, but I think with my new 5N, I will just be happy to keep it dry.

Thanks

Jim

Archived