Selling Gold

CruiserRose

Hello Jewelry shooppers, can someone help me out there.

i have a gold necklace (orginally purchased in St. THomas) but was wanting to upgrade a little. So with the excellent price of gold these days. anyone have an opinion if it would be better to SELL gold in St. Thomas or to sell it in the states, then take the cash to St. Thomas to purchase my new necklace.

thansk for the opinions.

I'd suggest selling in the states purely on the fact you can go to more locations to get multiple prices rather than spend time on vacation going from place to place then more time buying the new whatever.

Remember just because gold is at a price doesn't mean everyone you sell it to will give that price.

Hello Jewelry shooppers, can someone help me out there.

i have a gold necklace (orginally purchased in St. THomas) but was wanting to upgrade a little. So with the excellent price of gold these days. anyone have an opinion if it would be better to SELL gold in St. Thomas or to sell it in the states, then take the cash to St. Thomas to purchase my new necklace.

You're operating under the assumption that what you have is "pure" (24k) gold ... hardly. Most jewelry is 14k ... actually about 59% gold. 18k is around 75%. The other alloys are used to strengthen it (pure gold is very soft, and would not hold up very well under normal wear conditions ... besides, it would be priced far beyond the affordability of the average consumer). What you need to do is determine whether you have 10k, 14k, 18k or whatever, then have it weighed (grams are the usual unit of measurement, although some places use pennyweight). Take a look on eBay or similar sites to see what such pieces are bringing. Ignore any "appraisals" you might have gotten ... they're worthless. The actual value of anything is what someone is willing to pay for it. You might then try to sell it to a pawn shop or estate jeweler, based on the information you've gotten online. But rest assured ... you'll get no more in St. Thomas than in the states, and will probably wind up with less. Trust me on this one ... I know the business well. For reference purposes, 14k scrap gold (i.e. broken jewelry, etc.) is going for somewhere around $20/gram right now. You'd probably get a bit more ... good luck!

We are leaving Sept 25 on the Carnival Victory to visit 5 ports in the Carribean (St. Thomas, St Kitts, St. Lucia, Barbados and St Maarten) We're wondering which of these islands is the best to buy gold & diamond jewellery.:)

You're operating under the assumption that what you have is "pure" (24k) gold ... hardly. Most jewelry is 14k ... actually about 59% gold. 18k is around 75%. The other alloys are used to strengthen it (pure gold is very soft, and would not hold up very well under normal wear conditions ... besides, it would be priced far beyond the affordability of the average consumer). What you need to do is determine whether you have 10k, 14k, 18k or whatever, then have it weighed (grams are the usual unit of measurement, although some places use pennyweight). Take a look on eBay or similar sites to see what such pieces are bringing. Ignore any "appraisals" you might have gotten ... they're worthless. The actual value of anything is what someone is willing to pay for it. You might then try to sell it to a pawn shop or estate jeweler, based on the information you've gotten online. But rest assured ... you'll get no more in St. Thomas than in the states, and will probably wind up with less. Trust me on this one ... I know the business well. For reference purposes, 14k scrap gold (i.e. broken jewelry, etc.) is going for somewhere around $20/gram right now. You'd probably get a bit more ... good luck!

While it is true most jewelry is 14 or 18k, you cannot dismiss the idea of it being 22 or 24k. Many people who do a great deal of travel have purchased pure gold piecies, particularly in Greece and Turkey. Jewelry made of 22k is amazingly heavy. Pure gold is heavy. :) Greek jewelry craftsmen work the soft gold into fabulously intricate designs and it is VERY wearable (and valuable).

OP..... were I you and wanted to sell gold jewelry, I would sell it near home rather than carry it with me to St. Thomas in search of someone wanting to buy it. Jewelers in St. Thomas are not having 'boom times' right now. Years ago, you might have been able to do what you suggest but this is not a good time for that.

We are leaving Sept 25 on the Carnival Victory to visit 5 ports in the Carribean (St. Thomas, St Kitts, St. Lucia, Barbados and St Maarten) We're wondering which of these islands is the best to buy gold & diamond jewellery.:)

We have always felt we got better deals - overall-- in St Maarten. Beware of cruiseline endorsed stores. Do your homework before you shop about the diamonds you are looking for.

There are several well known shops on Frontstreet in Phillipsburg.

We've had great experiences at Ballerinas, Shivas, and Dazzling Gems. (Ask for Danny at Dazzlling Gems). Actually, if you start with Dazzling Gems you won't need to look any farther!

While it is true most jewelry is 14 or 18k, you cannot dismiss the idea of it being 22 or 24k. Many people who do a great deal of travel have purchased pure gold piecies, particularly in Greece and Turkey. Jewelry made of 22k is amazingly heavy. Pure gold is heavy. :) Greek jewelry craftsmen work the soft gold into fabulously intricate designs and it is VERY wearable (and valuable).

OP..... were I you and wanted to sell gold jewelry, I would sell it near home rather than carry it with me to St. Thomas in search of someone wanting to buy it. Jewelers in St. Thomas are not having 'boom times' right now. Years ago, you might have been able to do what you suggest but this is not a good time for that.

From the content of the question, I surmised that the OP has a necklace or other trinket purchased in St. Thoimas, and wishes to "upgrade" to something more substantial. I agree with you about 22 and 24 ct. gold, but I'm certain that such is not the case here. And yes, these aren't "boom times" in the VI. You're also absolutely correct about selling it at home ... she'd probably make out better.

Archived