Rome and Florence/Pisa DIY

Booked on the Island Escape net year with a friend who is a cruise virgin and she really wants to go to Rome and Florence or Pisa, but I dont fancy paying all that money for the trips. Can you do them DIY or is one easier than th others? :confused: Dont mind paying for one trip but not two!!!

We did Pisa from Livorno on our own and it was very easy. The bus from the port dropped us off beside a small square with a tourist booth in the middle. There you could book various tours etc, including a bus trip to Pisa. We booked that and got a comfortable coach that took us to Pisa and waited for about 3 hours before returning. There was no guide (I had a guidebook) and no pre-paid entry to the tower, baptistry etc and the queues were long so we didn't even try. It cost about 25eu each 2 years ago. You could also catch the local bus to Pisa from the same square (about 6eu

I think it was), but I had no clue where it stopped or where to pick it up coming back so we opted for the "tour".

Pisa was spectacular, one of those places where the reality exceeded the hype - and the leaning tower is only a small part of it. The old town was interesting in its own right too. Whether the saving is worth the loss of a guide and entry to the buildings

you will need to decide.

We did Florence a few years ago but not from a cruise. We drove there

and spent a full day and still didn't see half of it (didn't go into the Ulfizi

for example). Trying to get anything more than a hint of Florence on a

day trip from the coast will be hard, and if they include Pisa too, as some

do, then I really don't know what they could show you! An open top bus

tour maybe? Florence is a marvel and really needs two days to do it

justice IMHO. A few hours would just be frustrating!

there are threads on doing rome on your own..really easy...about 10 euros now i think for the train in..it is also you ticket for the metro and buses in rome...some people have done full blown details with pictures and maps on how to do this

as to florence and pisa..we did both on our own...again by train...just leave time to get back to the ship before departure time..ie do not try and make the last possible train

We just got back from the Roman Epic trip on the Destiny, the girl at reception printed of train timetables for Pisa and Rome it was very easy especially Rome. It only cost us 9 euros and you can use the ticket on the metro to. It was really really hot, take plenty water!!!!! Missing it allready!!!! :( Heres to the next cruise:)

we where on a Princess cruise last year and they laid on coach only to Rome or train only to Rome excursion and then in Rome it was DIY I don't know if Thomson's have the same excursion but it gave you a little bit of security knowing you'd be back in time for sailing ,

hope it helps

Yes Thomson do a run to Rome and others.it's just a drop off and pick up ,,, and you go it alone , until time to come back ,, but it will cost about £20 each ,, for that ride .

Actually the 'Rome on your Own' is more like £35 each.

Yes we have just done Rome ourselves - cost 9euro which includes bus/metro. Port lay on shuttle bus to port gates (wasnt worth it for us as we were more or less berthed next to the gates anyway) then a pleasant 10min walk to railway station. We got train about 8.40 I think (very very busy as lots of huge cruise ships in port) getting off at St Peters (only 5mins walk from Vatican). Walked around all day doing main sites of Rome before getting train back about 2.30pm from Rome Termini to be sure we got back to ship on time. It was hot but pleased we did it. Even found a lovely place near colloseum for a delicious coffee and danish for 2 of us for 2euros each! but beware of buying coke/water from vans I think we paid 3euros. Just for info there is a SPAR mini market near the Trevi Fountain - the crowds there were amazing.

Thanks, the Rome on your own trip from Thomson means that you will be in Rome for 8 hrs! I know there is a lot to see but I cant stand being there all that time!!! To be honest I dont really fancy Rome in like 35 degree heat with a million other people! BUt it is looking more likely that we will DIY it there and maybe a trip in Pisa, the trolley bus trip looks quite good.

Archived