Bermuda bus strike, are you in touch with anyone currently on the Summit?

ljk76

We are wondering how much our cruise, leaving this Sunday, may be impacted in Bermuda. Specifically, have taxis been available ? It seems from following the Bermuda boards there would not be enough, because the vast majority of visitors use the transit system. Hoping not to be stuck at the Dockyard with 6000 fellow cruisers. Hopeful it will be resolved by then, but had we cruised this week, as was the first plan, the strike has been underway most of the time the Summit has been in port. Posting here for the wider audience, any on the scenes info would be most appreciated.

My DH left the house yesterday with the purpose of offering rides to stranded cruise passengers. When he got to Dockyard he found that there were plenty of taxis and no long lines of cruisers waiting for transportation.

On my way home from work I stopped at Horseshoe Bay to offer rides and again there was a line of taxis and no one waiting for transportation.

So, as of yesterday there did not appear to be any problems. Many locals are happy to give rides as we want to give our guests the best holiday possible. If you see a car with a blue and pink ribbon tied to the antenna feel free to flag them down. Otherwise just wait at a bus stop and you will probably be offered a ride fairly quickly. These rides are given on a volunteer basis. There is no need to offer money.

Hopefully this mess will be resolved before you arrive.

Thank you so much! It's very reassuring to know we will be able to get around if the strike should linger on. Cruising is lots of fun, but this trip for us is mainly about getting reacquainted with your lovely island. Thank you also for generously sharing rides, it shows what nice people we will be meeting.

That is incredibly nice what you are all doing with your private vehicles, I love that island so much, and now have more reason to.

We took both the ferries and buses on our cruise last year, and there was a woman who made in a point to strike up a conversation with almost everyone near her on the bus that she could tell was a tourist. I told her what a wonderful ambassador she was for her island.

Archived