formal pictures

ready2travel54

They are copyrighted but you can call Princess and they'll send a letter saying you can copy it for your own use.

I never quite understood the release they give people. Since the letter give you permission to copy or scan their photo, how is it associated with only that photo and not one obtained previously? :confused: It's not like the letter & photo have a number linking them together.

On our last cruise, we did purchase the amount of photos necessary to get the Panraven book. And of course, Princess tried to get use to buy the digital image for the photos. I was not about to pay an extra $9.95 for the digital image. Then the salesman actually told me that I could just scan it and nobody would ever know.

Regarding the copyright of photos. . . does it actually say it on the photo somewhere? I just went and looked at some photos we had previously purchased and I did see a barcode and some other writing on one of the sides and the back. If you scan and copy, the back would never be seen and as any writing on the front, you would probably be trimming that or while you are scanning cover that part with another sheet of paper. How would Princess ever know and would it be worth a copyright law suit.

On our last cruise, we did purchase the amount of photos necessary to get the Panraven book. And of course, Princess tried to get use to buy the digital image for the photos. I was not about to pay an extra $9.95 for the digital image. Then the salesman actually told me that I could just scan it and nobody would ever know.

Regarding the copyright of photos. . . does it actually say it on the photo somewhere? I just went and looked at some photos we had previously purchased and I did see a barcode and some other writing on one of the sides and the back. If you scan and copy, the back would never be seen and as any writing on the front, you would probably be trimming that or while you are scanning cover that part with another sheet of paper. How would Princess ever know and would it be worth a copyright law suit.

I suppose if you were to sell copies or publish the photo in a book without a release and Princess photographers found out about it they would have a claim. Most people just scan the photo's to make extra copies & never give it a second thought. Where I have my pictures made they do have a sign that you shouldn't print copyrighted info but no one has ever said a word or could probably care less. They are just covering themselves with a posted sign the way I see it.

Send them to me and I'll scan them and send them back. For a small fee...
:) I've scanned my cruise photos for use on Facebook or elsewhere. I don't know copyright laws but I have no problem scanning the photos and modifying them (cropping, etc.) for my own personal use. If you take the photo to a copy center such as a camera store, Walgreens, CVS, etc., they will ask you for the copyright release letter.

Archived