Hurtigruten and the Lofoten Islands

BPCooper

The Lofoten islands are one place I would really love to see. My research has indicated, though, that despite using their photos in advertising, the Hurtigruten ships do not sail passed the most scenic Lofoten groun, around the tiny town of Reine at the southern tip.

Has anyone taken the voyage, stopping at Solvaer for example, and can help provide an idea of how close/what you see in that area? Photos would be great.

Any tips on getting to see that portion would be great. Thank you.

If you're not set on the Hurtigruten, there are some traditional cruises that call at Gravdal or Leknes, which provides more convenient access to Reine, Å, Nusfjord, etc.

Just saw in your other thread that you're sailing in October, so that counts out traditional cruiselines. If you're flexible with your travel timings, you could look into getting off the ferry at Solvær, and spending a night in Lofoten, continuing your trip on the next day's ferry.

Just saw in your other thread that you're sailing in October, so that counts out traditional cruiselines. If you're flexible with your travel timings, you could look into getting off the ferry at Solvær, and spending a night in Lofoten, continuing your trip on the next day's ferry.

There is one of the Hurtigruten cruises that gives you a few days in the Lofotens- http://www.hurtigruten.co.uk/norway/Voyages/2011-Classic-Voyages/Spectacular-Lofoten-Islands/ I'd been looking at it as an option for myself.

If you can wait until Spring most of the cruise lines do a trip up to that part of the world. We went on Grand Princess from Southampton to Svalbard in June and it was the most fantastic cruise. You are just in Gravdal for the day but you can take an excursion out to see the scenery. Quite an extraordinary place. It also visits Honningsvag for the North Cape, Bergen, Tromso, and Stavanger and Geiranger. We enjoyed it so much as there was always so much to see from our balcony. If you do decide to wait and do this cruise then it really is well worth paying out for a balcony as because of the midnight sun you see beautiful scenery all times of the day and night. We saw 5 eagles in Lofoten, a couple of whales but no polar bears.

We have looked around a couple of Hurtigruten ships, one older one and one newer one, can't remember the names. The viewing lounges are wonderful and they do go into the smaller ports as of course it's main use is as a ferry. What you have to realise is that you only get breakfast and evening meal, nothing else. Norway is extremely expensive, we stayed in Tromso for a week last winter and could not believe the cost of everything especially food. If you are on a regular cruise line you know you will not be going hungry and you will also have all your food provided at most times of the day and night. It really does work out a lot cheaper than using Hurtigruten. Just depends on what you want to do.

There is one of the Hurtigruten cruises that gives you a few days in the Lofotens- http://www.hurtigruten.co.uk/norway/Voyages/2011-Classic-Voyages/Spectacular-Lofoten-Islands/ I'd been looking at it as an option for myself.

Ooh! That's interesting! So it's basically the northbound Bergen-Kirkenes route followed by part of a southbound sailing, but disembarking in Svolvær. So that would let you spend as much time as you wanted in Lofoten before flying out!

Thanks for the replies. I believe even their Lofoten extension cruise does not include the southern part of the islands. Also, the option of getting off for a night or two is something I looked into; they charge about twice as much to do it that way, as it is considered a "port to port" sailing. Well I'mm still looking and in the end may decide to wait (part of the reason for going at this time was for the aurora, but spring is also a good option). Svalbard is on my list indeed one day.

I am booked on the Hurtigruten MS Polarlys going from Bergen to Kirkenes and back down to Bergen - 15 days - leaving Oct. 14. to Oct. 28. I am traveling with a Vantage World Travel group. It will be my 15th cruise and the first to a "cold" region. After 112 degrees on the day I booked, I think I am looking forward to it. I would be interested in more information about times of daylight, and temperatures other than what is listed on the websites and what to look forward to with sightseeing.

I am booked on the Hurtigruten MS Polarlys going from Bergen to Kirkenes and back down to Bergen - 15 days - leaving Oct. 14. to Oct. 28. I am traveling with a Vantage World Travel group. It will be my 15th cruise and the first to a "cold" region. After 112 degrees on the day I booked, I think I am looking forward to it. I would be interested in more information about times of daylight, and temperatures other than what is listed on the websites and what to look forward to with sightseeing.

You can view a table of sunrise and sunset times here:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=1374&month=10&year=2011&obj=sun&afl=-11&day=1

I've given you the location for Bodo, about half way or two-thirds of the way north. Daylight closes fast at this time of year.

On any clear night you should look for the aurora, which comes in waves of activity but can still be seen on less active nights sometimes.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=1374&month=10&year=2011&obj=sun&afl=-11&day=1

I've given you the location for Bodo, about half way or two-thirds of the way north. Daylight closes fast at this time of year.

On any clear night you should look for the aurora, which comes in waves of activity but can still be seen on less active nights sometimes.

Thanks for the time information - what a neat site. The time of daylight will be much like at my home in Kansas in the winter so it will be good.

I knew that I should look for the aurora - I have seen it before as a child on vacation in Minnesota. Once in a while we get a bit even down here.

On my cruise - when we stop in each port, we are going to have a walking tour of the area - it seems to be a part of this Vantage tour. I think it will be a wonderful cruise. My information says that we have at least the usual 3 meals a day on the ship. This is my first solo cruise, so it will be a new experience for me. Thanks for any information you can give me about the sights to watch for.

Just to say that we have booked the return trip on Hurtigruten in November/December on the Midnatsol and have breakfast, lunch and evening meal with ours:)

I am booked on the MS Polarys - Hurtigruten in October 14 - 28, 2011. I too have B L D for my trip, booked through Vantage World Travel. I would be interested in what you are expecting on your trip.

If you can wait until Spring most of the cruise lines do a trip up to that part of the world. We went on Grand Princess from Southampton to Svalbard in June and it was the most fantastic cruise. You are just in Gravdal for the day but you can take an excursion out to see the scenery. Quite an extraordinary place. It also visits Honningsvag for the North Cape, Bergen, Tromso, and Stavanger and Geiranger. We enjoyed it so much as there was always so much to see from our balcony. If you do decide to wait and do this cruise then it really is well worth paying out for a balcony as because of the midnight sun you see beautiful scenery all times of the day and night. We saw 5 eagles in Lofoten, a couple of whales but no polar bears.

We have looked around a couple of Hurtigruten ships, one older one and one newer one, can't remember the names. The viewing lounges are wonderful and they do go into the smaller ports as of course it's main use is as a ferry. What you have to realise is that you only get breakfast and evening meal, nothing else. Norway is extremely expensive, we stayed in Tromso for a week last winter and could not believe the cost of everything especially food. If you are on a regular cruise line you know you will not be going hungry and you will also have all your food provided at most times of the day and night. It really does work out a lot cheaper than using Hurtigruten. Just depends on what you want to do.

I have booked Hurtigruden - MS Polarys for round trip from Bergen to Kirkenes and back to Bergen Oct. 14 to 28. Would be interested in any information that you can give me about what my experiences will be. Thanks in advance.

I also really like this website for daylight times:

http://www.gaisma.com/en/dir/no-country.html

I enjoy the graphs, because you can see how rapidly the daylight hours change at certain times of the year. And in Norway, it's interesting to see the huge differences between the southern cities and the northern ones. And Longyearbyen's is particularly interesting with it's rapid transitions from all-day to all-night.

For weather closer to the date, check out http://www.yr.no/ Norwegian weather is notoriously unpredictable, but yr typically has the most accurate forecast. Even then, you can't really count on it more than two days out (and it's still subject to change)!

I have booked Hurtigruden - MS Polarys for round trip from Bergen to Kirkenes and back to Bergen Oct. 14 to 28. Would be interested in any information that you can give me about what my experiences will be. Thanks in advance.

That is good news that you can now book full board. From what I understand there is not much choice of food but what you do get is good. I don't know what sort of information you are looking for.

We did not sail on Hurtigruten, we just looked around a couple of the ships when we were staying in Tromso. They both had lovely lounge areas with good views from huge windows. The rooms were rather small, but comfortable. The looked larger than they do in the photos but still not as big as a regular cruise ship. There is a lot of information on the Hurtigruten web site. I just had a look at the UK one and it has plenty of useful information. Most of the places that you will be visiting are very small, sometimes the ship only stops for an hour or less. Other places it will stop longer. I just know that at Tromso they used to get in around 2ish and leave again about 6ish. From speaking to people I remember they do an excursion to go for a husky ride, but don't know if there will be snow there in mid October. If they are doing this trip I recommend it. If not there is plenty to see in Tromso. When you get to Honningsvag I suggest you do take the ships bus if they organise one, up to the North Cape visitors centre. It is not really possible to get up there without organised transport. I don't know how long you will get there. Bergen you can just look around on your own. It is a very walkable city. In Lofoten the views are great all around, don't know how much time you will get there. From what I can see there are two stops in Lofoten, you may find they do a trip that picks you up at one place and takes you back to another. This will give you more time to see it. Be prepared to pay mega bucks for any excursions as Norway is the queen of pricing, everything is really expensive but as the scenery is so breathtaking it is somehow worth it. I think you will find reviews on trip advisor too. I am so jealous as I would love to go there again.

The Lofoten islands are one place I would really love to see. My research has indicated, though, that despite using their photos in advertising, the Hurtigruten ships do not sail passed the most scenic Lofoten groun, around the tiny town of Reine at the southern tip. Has anyone taken the voyage, stopping at Solvaer for example, and can help provide an idea of how close/what you see in that area? Photos would be great. Any tips on getting to see that portion would be great. Thank you.

You have received lots of good feed-back and ideas. Clearly October is more challenging as a time to be visiting in this area. We were fortunate to be there in July which might be the best month for this area. Long days, better weather, etc. Check out my live/blog with many details on a number of different ports along this beautiful coast. Below are some of my pictures from these Lofoten Island areas. Sailing-by gives some views, but the ideal, as we did, is to be able to be driving up and down the area, seeing more of the beauty, up close and personal. We had two different days in these islands. Beautiful!!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Recently back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now over 36,000 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 50,044 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Appreciate those who have “tuned in” for these two posts. Don’t be shy and feel free to comment and/or ask any questions of interest.

As we departed Svolvaer in the Lofoten Islands on a perfect, sunny day, these are two of the green, tree-covered mountains rising up from the sea that we saw with the small out-islands in the foreground.:

LofotenSlovDeparting.jpg

We went to the end of the road in the Lofoten Islands. This is a charming village called “A”. In their alphabet, this “A” has a small “o” above the letter. Simple name for a charming fishing town. We had box lunches from the ship and dined on a picnic table on the wooden dock. This was our view with the busy and noisy birds.:

LofotenARedBldgBirds.jpg

These are some of the green cliffs in the Lofotens as the sun came out in a stronger manner to add drama to these sights and sites.:

LofotenGreenCliffOpenHarbor.jpg

More rocks and dramatic scenery in the Lofoten Islands when we did our DIY drive south and then back on the Lofoten Islands. Nice?:

LofotenMountGreenFields.jpg

LofotenBeachYellowFlowers.jpg

As we approached Svolvaer, this is one of the green, tree-covered mountains rising up from the sea that we saw on this beautiful day.:

SvolvaerApproachGreenMnt.jpg

I have travelled last year on the Nordstjernen and this year on the Lofoten (the 2 old ships). Next year I am booked back on the Lofoten in January. Hurtigruten offer two distinctive meal packages as far as I can see. Last year I had half board but this year was full board as it will be in 2012. Breakfast and Lunch were self service buffet with a large choice of food. Dinner was a set meal with waitress/waiter service except on the first night when it to was a buffet. Also one night on the northbound voyage there is a seafood buffet but with plenty of alternatives for those not wishing this.

I understood that to visit North Cape in winter one had to be in an organised party as vehicles follow the snow plough in convoy. This was certainly the case last year when I visited.

Archived