Port Douglas

sweetred61

Hi all,we will be Port Douglas in Oct on The Radiance of the Seas.The ship doesn"t get in till 10.00 am,can someone recommend a tour we leave again at 8.00pm.We will be doing the Barrier Reef from Airlie Beach.I was thinking of Mossman Gorge and the Daintree ,has anyone done that one.It is a half day tour.Thanks

Sharon

Hi all,we will be Port Douglas in Oct on The Radiance of the Seas.The ship doesn"t get in till 10.00 am,can someone recommend a tour we leave again at 8.00pm.We will be doing the Barrier Reef from Airlie Beach.I was thinking of Mossman Gorge and the Daintree ,has anyone done that one.It is a half day tour.Thanks

Sharon

I thought someone who had done this or a similar half day tour from PD would chip in with advice on timing and tour specifics and someone still may do so. I can only comment on the places you have mentioned and suggest some other options. Mossman Gorge is a pleasant non demanding hike from the car / coach park to a series of pools, where you can swim if you enjoy really cold water and have time. We did an independent tour so were not rushed. We were a bit put off by large groups walking and chattering loudly but found that strolling let them get ahead. The river trip on the Daintree was enjoyable - more emphasis on crocodiles than birds and the rain forrest, but that reflected the group. We did a small group tour on a different visit and that was excellent. Another option for a half day would be the Rainforrest Habitat - a walk through complex of aviaries and parkland with native animals and birds, but with only one half day I would do the Daintree and Mossman Gorge.

Colleen

We have been to Port Douglas a few times on cruises.

First time we just wandered around and came across a mini bus that took us up to the lookout, then dropped us off at the beach. Then rode the shuttle bus that does the circuit of all the resorts,then pottered around the shops.

Next time we just tendered ashore to the marina and on the boardwalk was a local tour operator offering a Daintree River Cruise and a trip up into the Mossman Gorge. It was a 4 hour tour and he fitted it in with the ships schedule. From memory ours was from 10.30 till 2.30, but I am sure they will adjust the times to suit. They had an office in the Marina Shopping Mall ,and just kept on selling tickets and when one mini bus was full they brought in another. It was well run , as a boat was ready and waiting for us at the river.

Last time we called , we did as Stevo suggests above and rented a car. The markets were on that day at Mossman, so we went there and then just drove down the coast road, getting back mid afternoon, to beat the rush for the tender back to the ship.

Port Douglas is a lovely spot.

Archived