Hurricane Irene

Host Mick

Hurricane Irene is on track to roll over Castaway Cay on Thursday at about 0900 with winds over 110 MPH.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphi...13W5_NL_sm.gif

Disney has said that the Disney Dream's itinerary is unchanged. Let's all hope and pray for the safety of the crew there and of the Bahamian support people.

It wouldn't hurt to wish for minimum damage to Castaway Cay also.

Hurricane Irene is on track to roll over Castaway Cay on Thursday at about 0900 with winds over 110 MPH.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphi...13W5_NL_sm.gif

Disney has said that the Disney Dream's itnerary is unchanged. Let's all hope and pray for the safety of the crew there and of the Bahamian support people.

It wouldn't hurt to wish for minimum damage to Castaway Cay also.

Agree.

I remember visiting Castaway Cay a while after a hurricane passed a few years back.

The vegetation that was once lush and tall was gone or severely reduced in many areas. Disney planted lots of flowers and shrubs to replace those gone and it still looked beautiful as I recall - just different.

In no time at all Castaway Cay became more beautiful than ever.

Let's hope any damage to Castaway Cay will be minimal and everyone on the Bahama Islands will be safe.

I have some friends on th Dream right now. they are doing back to back to back....I pray all is well.

I'd love to see some photos of Castaway Cay post hurricane to see how well she held up. Perhaps they could at least post here about their experience?

I'd love to see some photos of Castaway Cay post hurricane to see how well she held up. Perhaps they could at least post here about their experience?

They post on Dis, but I'll ask if I can share any if she has them. They won't be leaving for home till Sept. 11. They live in Austria and take long vacations. I actually got to spend some time with them last week while I was in Disney as well. Wonderful people!

My friend just posted on Dis. They are doing well so far. They went to CC and no outside vendors came so it was a quiet day with most excrusions canceled. Tomorrow the ship will be sailing out at 3, since there is the hurricane threat. So far no plans have been changed as to where they are sailing that I can tell.

She also said there is an extreme makeover family on board, and they have watched some of the taping.

I just happened to be watching the port canaveral webcam and saw the Disney Dream come into port at about 11:30pm eastern time. Does the ship normally dock that late?

The ship normally docks early morning. Sounds like they came home early.

No. The DCL ships normally arrive in port around 5~6 am. They are in "hurricane avoidance mode" today; I understand Dream is leaving Port Canaveral at 4pm today rather than the normal 5pm. No word on what the itinerary will be, but it will likely change as Irene will be roughly halfway between PC and Nassau at that time, albeit about 200 miles offshore.

No. The DCL ships normally arrive in port around 5~6 am. They are in "hurricane avoidance mode" today; I understand Dream is leaving Port Canaveral at 4pm today rather than the normal 5pm. No word on what the itinerary will be, but it will likely change as Irene will be roughly halfway between PC and Nassau at that time, albeit about 200 miles offshore.

Yeah...so instead of getting in a 6 AM this morning, they got in at 11:30 PM last night. That's early.

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — Effective 9 a.m., Wednesday, Coast Guard Captain of the Port (COTP), Capt. Andy Blomme, increased port conditions for the Port of Canaveral to X-RAY, due to the expectation of gale force winds generated by Hurricane Irene.

Waterfront facilities should be removing potential flying debris, hazardous materials and oil pollution hazards from dockside areas. Secure all hazmat and potential sources of pollution due to possible heavy rain run-off.

Vessels more than 500 gross tons should make preparations to leave the port at this time or should have requested permission from the COTP to remain in port. Vessels unable to depart the port must contact the COTP and submit a safe mooring plan in writing when requesting and prior to receiving permission to remain in port. Proof of facility owner/operator approval will be required.

My friend is doing back to back and she said yesterday the plan was to sale out by 3 today

I have a friend that works for a cruise line and she was just telling me that the port in Nassau will be closed to ships tomorrow and possibly Saturday.

We sail on the Dream on Sunday, I sure hope we get in to the ports.....Which would mean that the islands haven't suffered to much damage. It has to be tough for them.

Debby

4:15, Carnival is departing and Disney is still moored. It appears they have been allowed to remain on normal schedule since the weather, alto breezy and grey, is nothing too terrible. Wind is about 15 knots out of the north. But I'll bet the seas are a wee bit bumpy. Radar shows lots of rain to the east - the storm - and to the south so I wonder where they will head?

I'll be watching via http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/# for as long as they are in range . . curious to see where they head.

4:15, Carnival is departing and Disney is still moored. It appears they have been allowed to remain on normal schedule since the weather, alto breezy and grey, is nothing too terrible. Wind is about 15 knots out of the north. But I'll bet the seas are a wee bit bumpy. Radar shows lots of rain to the east - the storm - and to the south so I wonder where they will head?

I'll be watching via http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/# for as long as they are in range . . curious to see where they head.

I'm curious too. I wish them safe travels.

I just happened to be watching the port canaveral webcam and saw the Disney Dream come into port at about 11:30pm eastern time. Does the ship normally dock that late?

I'm sorry; I was misunderstood. When I said "late" I wasn't referring to the ship being on a late schedule, I was referring to the time of day that the ship was docking.

I am accustomed to ships coming into port early in the morning or in the afternoon if it's a port/excursion type day. I thought that it was weird for a ship to be coming into Port Canaveral at almost midnight (I was surfing the web since my newborn had me awake at that hour). I guess I need to do a better job wording my questions.

Dream is presently doing 19 knots on a southerly course, close to the coast of Boca Raton, FL. AIS is still showing her destination as Nassau, due to arrive at 10am Friday morning.

Carnival Sensation (also Port Canaveral based) is not far behind her, but showing a destination of Key West.

Do they know something we don't? :confused:

Archived